Docherty and Polster

I didn't think there would be a place in the team for him but he played very well tonight hopefully he gets more chances over the season.

Looked class tonight. Polster will be a very able deputy to Tav. Docherty just looks brilliant, bags of energy, great passing at times, and a proper hunger to chase the ball down.

Strong squad all round.

That’s what Gerrard was after, that’s what we now have.

Spend the rest of the window trimming all the fat off the squad that we don’t need, maybe get in Kent and one other.

Both done well tonight and we are looking with them as squad players.
No where near the first XI for this bear but good squad players

Can't judge tonight IMO. It's good to see players play in a formation though.
Sunday will be a better test.
Docherty and Polster did well.

Docherty is a tank and will be a valuable squad member this season. Had a great game tonight albeit against limited opposition. Was also impressed with polster. Looks very comfortable on the ball and looks a typical american athlete

They both did alright but nothing to suggest they are starting 11 players for me. Polster looks solid defensively but he’s a bit slow in possession (maybe I’m just spoiled with Tav).

These two for me caught my eye. Always liked Doc and hope he has a part to play this season. Polster looks like a very good back up for Tav. The opposition was poor so itll be good to see them against better teams.
For me Doxherty should have more than a part to play he is everywhere breaking up play, setting attacks up tonight he was an of the match in my opinion.

Docherty has given Gerrard a headache for midfield options, we genuinely have 5-6 players who could fill the midfield 3 positions easily.

They both did alright but nothing to suggest they are starting 11 players for me. Polster looks solid defensively but he’s a bit slow in possession (maybe I’m just spoiled with Tav).

I don't think the suggestion was either of them were regular starters. But it is a squad game and they both look more than able to come in and contribute when the need arises.

For example Tav, as much as he is a machine, shouldn't be expected to play 50-60 games this season again - it is too much and his performance will suffer as a result. So it is good to have someone who looks technically very decent, able to fill in.

Last edited:
Docherty was immense tonight, last season has done him the world of good. I thought a lot of attacks ended with Polster, he was too hesitant to get the ball across until late in the second half when he started crossing a bit more. His ball retention was very good though.

Another thought on Docherty is he has some engine on him. He broke play up in our half and was 'slowly' jogging back to position, the ball gets played in and he is at the edge of their box.

Docherty had a great game, Polster puts me in mind when we used to rotate Whittaker with Broadfoot, able deputy but you miss the attacking threat of Tav

It’s amazing how people see things differently.

I thought polster was very poor. Looked nervous and always wanted to cut back and inside.

He clearly never hid and saw lots of the ball. But i left feeling worried if he has to play a continues run of games

This is exactly what I saw, as did all the guys around me.

Agree with others that Polster took a while to get into the game. He looks like a good athlete, but doesn't seem as comfortable in the final third as many modern-day full-backs. Still think he will prove to be a useful squad player.

Doc had a great game but will be on the bench most weeks or to cover for injuries. He’s just got to bide his time until he becomes a regular starter possibly in a season or so.
Polster is able but not Tav. We miss Tav as a threat in the final third more than we miss his defending.

They will both play a part in some SPFL games following European ganes providing we get through the next two rounds.
For me, they both looked competent but nothing exceptional.
Thought Halliday had a great match.

It’s amazing how people see things differently.

I thought polster was very poor. Looked nervous and always wanted to cut back and inside.

He clearly never hid and saw lots of the ball. But i left feeling worried if he has to play a continues run of games

I agree people see thing's differently but I was well impressed by the fella.

Time will tell.

Polster definitely isn't a rampaging full back, but I don't expect him to be like Tav. You could tell he was a bit awkward in the final 3rd of the pitch. We will get a better gauge of his ability against a more attack minded side. He could turn out to be a solid defender for us.

Docherty played well tonight. He got two assists and won the penalty.

He looks technically a lot better than he did before he went to Shrewsbury on loan.

Doc and Steven Davis in the same team excites me.

(thought Kamara was very quiet tonight though, but he was the deepest of the three in the middle and wasn't called upon. Doesn't set the tempo like Davis though).

Thought Docherty had a really good game and was always looking to go forward with the ball. Covered well defensively at times too.

Poster had a great second half. Probably cos he knew it was only 45 minutes before he goes home to that Mrs of his.

Maybe we should be looking at loaning more young fringe players to Shrewsbury, such is the difference in Docherty in a season. He's come back fit, dynamic and ready to fight for a place in the team. You can see he wants to make it as difficult as possible for the gaffer to leave him out. Davis, Kamara and Jack should take note. They are gonna have to play really well and consistently, or Doc is ready to step in.

Back