Docherty and Polster

Also polster was ok. Had all the space in the world all game. Easy to look ok against that lot with tons of space. Hes done alright tonight. I'll reserve judgement for now.

GD won't get near the midfield in my opinion based on tonight-opening pass was nice but he then disappeared for 44 mins. Had a much stronger second half but from what I've seen of the player-who is clearly an honest pro-he has nothing in his locker that would get him a place ahead of the other players we have.

For me Doxherty should have more than a part to play he is everywhere breaking up play, setting attacks up tonight he was an of the match in my opinion.
He was very good tonight but I still don't think hes ahead of jack or davis at the moment but hes a great option to have something we didn't have last season. I'm excited to see how much he improves under Gerrard and the coaching staff you only have to look at the improvement of Ryan Jack in the past year.

He was very good tonight but I still don't think hes ahead of jack or davis at the moment but hes a great option to have something we didn't have last season. I'm excited to see how much he improves under Gerrard and the coaching staff you only have to look at the improvement of Ryan Jack in the past year.

This RJ improvement stuff is a myth imo...SG stated off the bat how good he was...last year he actually hit a dip in form-I've suggested burn out and or an injury....RJ was the best midfielder at the club when SG arrived and despite his dip last year he remained our most consistent midfielder....I didn't see a step change but more of the same-it will be interesting to see how SG lines up his midfield and if he intends to rotate a fair bit how well it works.....everyone who was in the midfield last year simply needs to be more consistent.

docherty was great tonight...okay they were rubbish.....but his drive, attitude and that extra bit of aggression that you need in Scotland was there to see. Maybe not a first pick.... but maybe our Alex McDonald or Ian Ferguson for games against the scum?

Docherty looked good. Will definitely play a part this season even if he won't be a first pick.

Polster looks decent enough to give Tav a rest against the easier teams.

I don't think any of our players had a bad game last night. Given the opposition it should maybe be expected but a lot of these players haven't played together properly before.

The real judgement will come when we face harder teams and the pressure of winning every game is on.

If these candeias to Turkey rumours are true i could see polster at RB and tav in the midfield for some games

Hard to judge against the poor opposition, really. I'd be wanting Tav at right back in every single league and cup game.

Polster did fine last night. We've got to remember this was his FIRST competitive start for us.

The one thing about him though is that he plays the short game probably a bit too often, looking to play 1-2 passes inside when he's in positions that Tavernier would be whipping balls in from.

I think at half time The Gaffer must've told him to be more direct with balls into the box when he gets into those positions as both Gerrard and even Polster himself said as much in their post match interviews on RTV.

Think that's why Polster looked better in the 2nd half and he also managed to get himself an assist for the 5th goal.

I like the look of MP as a player and I'm happy with having him as Tav's understudy. He's only going to improve with more game time as well.

Thought young Docherty was very good last night. Covered every blade of grass.

Polster looked decent and I think we now have enough cover in Full Back areas with Tav and Barisic, backed up by Halliday, Flanagan and Polster.

Doc played well tonight and will see plenty game time this season.

His season loan has done him the world of good.

He's still a bit short on the overall quality of Davis, Jack, Kamara and Aribo though.

That's the Docherty I've envisaged this whole time. Midfield powerhouse, box to box, influential at both ends and tireless running.

Doc's attitude and desire was never in question, he just needed to sharpen up his play. Hopefully he proves to be a vital squad member for years to come.

Maybe we should be looking at loaning more young fringe players to Shrewsbury, such is the difference in Docherty in a season. He's come back fit, dynamic and ready to fight for a place in the team. You can see he wants to make it as difficult as possible for the gaffer to leave him out. Davis, Kamara and Jack should take note. They are gonna have to play really well and consistently, or Doc is ready to step in.
the Docs a stick on with that performance.

Wow. It's all about opinions but I really believe Docherty is going to struggle to make the squad....this powerhouse stuff I must have been at a different game-yes he picked it up a lot start of the 2nd half but I doubt the manager was impressed overall.

I wonder who the indifferent players were he referred to?

Doherty was my motm too.

Polster didn't seem to want to go forward till near the end of the match. In the first half there was a couple of occasions he had loads of empty space to run into with the ball and decided to make a square pass. In the second half he started move forward but went so far, checked and then made the square pass. Only towards the end did he start putting crosses in. Not tested defencively.

Hard to judge based on the opposition but I like the look of Docherty so far.

We'll now have Davis, Kamara, Jack, Aribo and Docherty competing for 2 positions on the park though.

Wow. It's all about opinions but I really believe Docherty is going to struggle to make the squad....this powerhouse stuff I must have been at a different game-yes he picked it up a lot start of the 2nd half but I doubt the manager was impressed overall.

He got two assists and won the penalty.

It's fantastic to see that our team is now building a proper squad with strength and depth over all areas. Docherty is a good midfielder and getting better. He had a very good game yesterday and I hope he gets his chance to shine throughout the season. Polster also looks a good player and is a very capable backup to Tav.

Really pleasing to see.

Polster was fine. You can tell her prefers cutting in and coming central. Which may be a problem with the narrower formation, because he'll be running into an already congested area.

Needs to be coupled with a winger for maximum effectiveness I think.

Polsters crossing was poor, didn't makes runs when he should have and is one of the most one footed professionals I've ever seen.
Great desire and very athletic, just hoping it was nerves and the need for more first team football as He's looked pretty capable.

I think Polster might struggle against SPFL opposition and above to be honest. I think we’d be safer with Flanagan if Tav is ever out.

Docherty looks like a star though. I reckon by the end of the season he’ll have forced himself into a first choice midfield pick.

People seem to think we should expect a squad player to be as good as Tav in every area of his play, and sign for us to play as a sub, and be happy with that, when we all know Tav’s the best right back in the country and we won the lottery signing him?

Polster got an assist, a clean sheet and should have won a penalty. For any player it’s an excellent game.

Docherty was outstanding. He has everything a modern midfielder needs, I think we might see a big season from him.

Polster was good, seems a reliable back up.

I was impressed with Docherty, and hoping he gets plenty chances this season to see what he can do. He brings us something different from the other midfielders we have. The like of Jack, Davis, Kamara are great, but they are very similar in terms of their style - keeping the ball, recycling possession etc, whereas Docherty has a bit more drive and willingness to make runs on and off the ball. I think that will be a good alternative option to have.

Polster was fine. Obviously not at Tavernier's level but looks athletic and decent enough on the ball. Crossing could have been better.

He got two assists and won the penalty.

Get that....saw that.....they were as poor a team as we will see at Ibrox this season probably by a distance. Arfield looked like Gazza when he came on...Morelos looked short of sharpness and scored a hat trick.

The lad tries hard but for the best part of 45 mins against semi-pro's he didn't impose himself in the middle of the park-he wasn't alone Kamara was anonymous for the whole game.

Considering the options we have in midfield I suspect it will take several players being out before we see him near the team.

He's never looked ready for Rangers and it's difficult to be at the club and develop at the same time......

Get that....saw that.....they were as poor a team as we will see at Ibrox this season probably by a distance. Arfield looked like Gazza when he came on...Morelos looked short of sharpness and scored a hat trick.

The lad tries hard but for the best part of 45 mins against semi-pro's he didn't impose himself in the middle of the park-he wasn't alone Kamara was anonymous for the whole game.

He's never looked ready for Rangers and it's difficult to be at the club and develop at the same time......

So we can’t play him in ‘proper’ games because the other players we have are better, and he cant challenge for a place and prove that he deserves one because anyone we do play him against isn’t good enough to judge him, so what’s the point of having a squad?

So we can’t play him in ‘proper’ games because the other players we have are better, and he cant challenge for a place and prove that he deserves one because anyone we do play him against isn’t good enough to judge him, so what’s the point of having a squad?

Well we put him out on loan last year what does that tell you? It's hard to develop when you are not getting regular game time.

The whole point of a squad is to cover for injuries/suspensions and to an extent rotate the team....maybe that might work for the young lad-some are saying they believe he will push his way into the team over the season. Nobody knows-we give opinions. In my opinion he looks average Scottish top tier standard and whilst he might affect the odd game I'm not sure what he brings different to the team......ultimately SG will decide but at Rangers I can hardly think of a single young player who developed as a squad player in the last 30/40 years-they either were good enough to get in the team or they didn't and some of those who did couldn't sustain it.

Be delighted to be wrong-see I'm in the minority on last night and as stated the manager will decide how he will bring the player on......

Docherty my man of the match closely followed by Halliday, tho' Alfie was going to be running riot in their goalmouth if he stayed on.

Polster knows his role. He's a squad filler who can cover a number of positions.

As for Docherty I feel Gerrard sees something in him. He comes across as the type of lad who is first to training and applies himself in the proper manner.

Technically he is not as good as the rest of our midfielders and Davis, Kamara, Jack, Aribo, Arfield will all be ahead of him but having him on the bench away to tough grounds like Pittodrie, Tynecastle and Easter Road when we are defending a lead and in a battle will be useful.

Doc was my MOTM, but he’s still too inconsistent in possession.
He did well, but people need to accept he still gives it away too much IMO.
Polster was fine, but way too often was holding onto it too long and not releasing it when he should have been.
Both played well, and Doc was my MOTM, but both still clearly have room for improvement!

You are aware that was Polster's first start for us? And his first competitive game in about 8 months.
Of course, some hesitation would be expected.

My point was more than he seems to be a conservative and utilitarian player, as opposed to the athleticism and guile that Tav brings.

Maybe we should be looking at loaning more young fringe players to Shrewsbury, such is the difference in Docherty in a season. He's come back fit, dynamic and ready to fight for a place in the team. You can see he wants to make it as difficult as possible for the gaffer to leave him out. Davis, Kamara and Jack should take note. They are gonna have to play really well and consistently, or Doc is ready to step in.

I think it's been great for all involved.

Hopefully we can work with Shewsbury in the future.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Polster - given that it was his first proper match in 8 months, he did very well to get up and down the pitch so much, and even put a couple of decent balls into the box towards the end.

Defensively we don't really know how he is but his stamina in getting up the pitch and his pressing were very good, and he was always looking to receive the ball. I personally think he looked fine, and hopefully he gets a few more games in Europe over the next few weeks as I think he'll get better and better with more sharpness.

I agree 100%. I think hell be lucky to make the bench most weeks.That might depend on who were playing on the Sunday and in Europe on the Thursday.
. He may get on for the last 15 mins if were ahead.

If we bring in another midfielder, which I think we will then hell be further down the line.

Doc played well tonight and will see plenty game time this season.

His season loan has done him the world of good.

He's still a bit short on the overall quality of Davis, Jack, Kamara and Aribo though.

Looks like he's gone away, head down, worked extremely hard and come back a better player.

I rated Docherty, just felt there were a few areas he had to improve on; calm down, composure and his all round distribution. The rest of his game was solid. Fantastic engine, gets about the park, tenacious, drives us up the park and finds himself in some fantastic areas of the park.

I know it was a team from Gibraltar we faced last night but Docherty was the best player on the park for me.

Polster had some decent touches in the 1st half and came on to a much better game in the 2nd half. His delivery at times was dangerous.

Need to see more if him to form an opinion if I feel he's good enough to replace Tavernier should he have to for any reason.

This RJ improvement stuff is a myth imo...SG stated off the bat how good he was...last year he actually hit a dip in form-I've suggested burn out and or an injury....RJ was the best midfielder at the club when SG arrived and despite his dip last year he remained our most consistent midfielder....I didn't see a step change but more of the same-it will be interesting to see how SG lines up his midfield and if he intends to rotate a fair bit how well it works.....everyone who was in the midfield last year simply needs to be more consistent.

I believe that some people seem to be confusing a change of position, for an improvement in RJ’s game. Since he’s been played in a more advanced role, which has added assists and goals, that’s seen as his game improving, when in reality it’s just been a change in his role.

I believe that some people seem to be confusing a change of position, for an improvement in RJ’s game. Since he’s been played in a more advanced role, which has added assists and goals, that’s seen as his game improving, when in reality it’s just been a change in his role.

I would agree with this.

It's clear Davis is preferred as the deeper player when both play which I stated earlier in the week shows the decline in Davis-Davis at his peak was clearly a superior player to Jack.

I was well pleased with both of them and most of the team in fact, albeit against poor opposition.

Polster showed great composure when under pressure and didn't waste many balls either. Some of his crossing was top notch. He looks to be an intelligent player too.

Docherty was the best player on the pitch for me until he went off. He was immense and seems to have matured both mentally and physically since he went on loan. That's did him a power of good. He was involved in so much of the good things we did and was also involved in breaking up ST J's play, time and time again. Great game.

All in all 19-0 in four games so far and we appear to have REAL competition for so many positions all over the pitch, which is what we want/need. Roll on 55.

There will be injuries , suspensions , players on int duty as well as playing across 4 fronts this year. They will play their part.

Back