Docherty interview in the Herald

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Greg Docherty looking for Rangers to maintain their momentum - and go into Celtic game on back of six game winning run

GREG Docherty wants Rangers to go into a Celtic game that could see them reduce their city rivals’ Ladbrokes Premiership lead to just three points on the back of a six game winning run.

Docherty helped the Ibrox club beat Premiership opponents St Johnstone 4-1 at McDiarmid Park on Tuesday evening and extend their impressive streak of form to five matches.

The 21-year-old midfielder is keen for Graeme Murty’s side to keep that going in the William Hill Scottish Cup quarter-final against Falkirk at home on Sunday.

He believes that would put them in a strong position to get their first victory in the Glasgow derby match since the Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden nearly two years ago.

If Rangers beat Celtic, whose scheduled league game against Dundee was postponed last night, they would be just three points adrift having played a game more.

“I think momentum is a big thing and we are gathering that at the moment,” said Docherty. “We just want to keep going and if we can take this momentum into every game then fantastic. We just need to keep building.

“It is great for us to bounce back after the Hibs disappointment with five wins. That is big for us. The manager and the coaching staff have got us set up correctly and we are all just loving playing football at the moment.

“You could see against Hearts on Saturday and the first half against St Johnstone on Tuesday how comfortable we were. No disrespect, to St Johnstone, but we didn’t feel under pressure. They had a few free-kicks, but every attack we go on I feel we are going to score and that is big.

“I think everybody feels the same, that every shot is going to go in for us. I think the crowd anticipate it as well and can sense it and that spurs us on. We just love scoring goals.”

He added: “We focus on Falkirk now and we know it is going to be difficult. I know a few of the Falkirk boys and know they are good players. They will want to come to Ibrox and impress, but we have got to go and do the job and I am confident we can do.

“The cup is a big one and then Celtic straight after that doesn’t get any bigger. So for us we have got to take each game as it comes, this one is out the way now and got the job done.

Meanwhile, Docherty backed Jamie Murphy to force his way into the Scotland squad as a result of his fine form for Rangers and expressed hope the winger will recover from the foot injury he picked up against St Johnstone.

“Jamie has been huge for us and he has helped me settle in well,” he said. “He is a big player and he has got his own aspirations to get in the Scotland squad. I don’t see how he can’t on that performance.

“He is the best wide man in the league in my opinion and he has really shown that in the last few games. Obviously, we hope it is nothing serious and we get him back for the weekend. He looked in good spirits after the game so I am hoping it is nothing serious and is just precautionary.”

Last edited:
"...every attack we go on I feel we are going to score and that is big.

“I think everybody feels the same, that every shot is going to go in for us. I think the crowd anticipate it as well and can sense it and that spurs us on. We just love scoring goals.”

Correct young man. And it is a total lottery as to who is going to get the goal. It could be anyone of 4 or 5 players knocking it in for us. That really is special given that in the first half of the season there were times where it looked like we couldn't buy a goal.

It's been an incredible transformation from mucking about in possession in the middle of the pitch with a lot of sideways passing before things breaking down, to now being so pacey and so direct and everyone looking for the ball. The movement in the final third has been tremendous at times.

Docherty obviously speaks very well going by this interview as well. Living the dream.

250118_docherty_6.jpg

The sheer unadulterated joy in this image speaks volumes.

One can only dream of these things.

I think this lad can go to the very top of the game in the EPL if his desire takes him, as long as we can hold on to him for a few seasons at least, in the mean time let us sit back and enjoy the lad and his skill.

Great words.
An absolute steal for what we paid on his showings so far.
Can't wait for the 11th of March and a commanding display against them

What I love about Docherty is he seems very smart for his age. Not big headed, an inspiration really and a throw back to players years ago who want to play football first and enjoy the other stuff later.
He is a quick learner and listens to his coach. The good thing about Murty is he recognises players strengths and let’s them play to them and you see that on the park.

I watched us steamroller Hamilton when they had McCarthy and McArthur and missed whatever it is they had that took them to the Premier League completely. I've always thought that a problem we have is watching guys like Dorrans, McArthur and a lot more I can't remember now going down south and becoming good Premier League and Championship players. From what I've seen of Docherty so far, we've got a player who could potentially make that step up or sideways (depending on your view) one day.

PAY ATTENTION

And still some of you use that phrase. Stop lumping us in with that mob. Go on I'm ready.

What things meant originally and what they mean in a current sense can be different. Try telling any football enthusiast who doesn't care about Rangers, Celtic and Scottish football that it means something else and they'll continue to not care. If you mention our club to an average guy in Buenos Aires or Istanbul, they might know that the Old Firm means Rangers vs Celtic in Glasgow, Scotland. That's something that we should be proud of rather than shy away from.

What things meant originally and what they mean in a current sense can be different. Try telling any football enthusiast who doesn't care about Rangers, Celtic and Scottish football that it means something else and they'll continue to not care. If you mention our club to an average guy in Buenos Aires or Istanbul, they might know that the Old Firm means Rangers vs Celtic in Glasgow, Scotland. That's something that we should be proud of rather than shy away from.
Aye right, have hated this all my life. Then they masterminded trying to kill us. We should always distance ourselves from them.

This guy certainly knows what it's about and in all likelihood could be a future Captain of The Famous. Early days but I think we have a gem in our ranks.

What does it mean?

Reads like something off of a sheep forum.
It's far from being Sheepy.

It's something I remember as being used as a motto in our past. I can't remember the exact details of how it transformed into Aye Ready/Ready but I'll have a wee look to see if I can refresh my memory..

This boy is something special for his age.

Our midfield is fucking dynamite.

It also has the potential to be worth an absolute fortune in time.

The Glasgow derby ? Is another journo scared to say Old Firm game ?
They are still an old firm, agreeing huge ticket increase for each others visits.
Compound that with the cosy ticket allocations which are so different from the other clubs.

He’s going to give Ross McCrorie a run for his money to see who is the next Rangers captain.

A very level headed young lad, love the way he comes across. He's got his head screwed on.

Know a few younger lads through football that know him and on boys holidays etc with his mates he was always in the gym and keeping the booze to a bare minimum. He has the potential to go really far.

Comes across very well, especially when you consider his age. Shows great maturity as a person.

Fantastic player who by all accounts listens to his coaches and takes it all on board, that in itself is a great asset as a player. The will and ability to improve can be all the difference between a good and great player.

Physically a great specimen, can hold his own with men much older and seems to posses the kind of engine that will run all day long.

All that and a Rangers fan to boot! We have won a watch with this young lad.

Comes across very well, especially when you consider his age. Shows great maturity as a person.

Fantastic player who by all accounts listens to his coaches and takes it all on board, that in itself is a great asset as a player. The will and ability to improve can be all the difference between a good and great player.

Physically a great specimen, can hold his own with men much older and seems to posses the kind of engine that will run all day long.

All that and a Rangers fan to boot! We have won a watch with this young lad.
Yeah, but we paid the incredible sum of £600.:p

Quite an articulate guy at 21 years old, isn't he?

Can't wait to see him develop into a top player over the next few years.

A very level headed young lad, love the way he comes across. He's got his head screwed on.

Know a few younger lads through football that know him and on boys holidays etc with his mates he was always in the gym and keeping the booze to a bare minimum. He has the potential to go really far.

That's really good to know.

The amount of young boys who've let their talent go to their head and pissed it all against the wall is horrendous, so I'm enormously happy that this lad has his head screwed on.

He's got future Rangers Captain written all over him :)

He is a raw talent but showing signs that he can become a rangers legend (aware its early doors to say that but Im sure you all understand where Im coming from).

Being brought up a fan same as plenty of our other players now he gets it.

It’s going to be hard for anyone else to get a game In the Middle of the Park as beside Goss it has the makings of the best Rangers Midfield paring since McCall and Ferguson .

Looking forward to seeing him, McCrorie & Ryan Jack lining up together. No one will bully our midfield with those 3 running the show & I think we'll start to dominate consistently again. Great signing & exciting times ahead.

The kid is living the dream and he's done very well so far. Honestly think he could be the heartbeat in our midfield for many years to come.

Back