Docherty

387RFC

Think it was a mistake sending him out on loan. If we make the Europa League we are going to need a much bigger squad to cope with the number of games and Docherty would have been good back up. Would also help his development learning under SG rather than playing in the lower leagues

Think we need to trust the professional management team and the plans for the player for the current season. If The player achieves his targets, he will come back to us a better player.

He needs to be playing week in week out to progress and get back on track. Wouldn't say he is not good enough. Twice against Hibs for Hamilton he handed McGinn his arse. What he came in to was a mess and he is not ready to make the immediate impact Gerrard is looking for right now. A season loan will do him and Us a real turn. Expect him to come back next pre season flying with confidence.

Think it was a mistake sending him out on loan. If we make the Europa League we are going to need a much bigger squad to cope with the number of games and Docherty would have been good back up. Would also help his development learning under SG rather than playing in the lower leagues
He’s not good enough,hence why he’s playing for Shrewsbury.

I'm fairly sure Gerrard has a good idea if he fits the bill. A lovely and dedicated lad, no doubt, but is he anywhere near Arfield, Jack or Coulibally? Absolutely not. We need that standard or better.
I genuinely hope he becomes a star for us in future, but first team games will teach him more than tutoring from any manager, SG included.

Why not just let the management team do their job.

Seem to be doing ok just now

Would be eighth choice for centre mid if all were fit. Arfield, Couilbaly, Jack, Ejaria, McCrorie, Rossiter, Dorrans. We’ve also retained Halliday. Right thing to do is get some more and different experience and come back to stake his claim.

Take your pick, I think he would have been more mature and game time ready if he had stayed with us.
He's played over 100 spl games thus far, he's not a novice. If the management team don't see him playing a part this season then who's to argue.

He played himself out on loan with that first half against Wigan, unfortunately. Despite a better 2nd half, he didn't grasp the opportunity.

Let's hope he does well and comes back to replace the couple of loans we have.

Don't see the point in him going to league one Shrewsbury in all honesty.

he'd have been better in the reserves making fleeting appearances with a tight schedule.

We’ve got loads of cover, and I really badly want the boy to do well, but it’s not as though he was playing well is it?

I’m not sure him continually giving the ball away in Europe will benefit us much.

The op, saying it's a mistake.

Ah ok, i thought you meant in reference to my post.

I don't think it's a mistake loaning him, he needs regular game time, the Boy is a good player and hopefully the loan stands him in good stead to come in next season and cement a position.

He arrived at Rangers at the wrong time whilst the managerial situation was a complete and utter shambles.

That's enough to knock any players confidence.

Reactions: M@x
He's played over 100 spl games thus far, he's not a novice. If the management team don't see him playing a part this season then who's to argue.
100 games with who?? Hamilton? Nobody said he was a novice, what was said was maybe it would have been better keeping him, maybe in the reserves so we could call upon him if needed.

For me when you read the reference he received from Martin Canning it gave you an insight into what appears a totally dedicated young man.

Part of that dedication has created his very strong physique and it was noticeable last season. Nobody could out muscle him and in actual fact everybody that went toe to toe with him simply bounced off him.

The other things for me last season was his whole body language when on the bench. He was never a reluctant looker on. If we scored he was out there celebrating like the bear he is. When you hear him speak he is a very respectful young man with a great love of our club.

He was guilty of passing the ball to the other team once too many times during the period when even our most experienced players were going into their shells.

My hope is that the loan works out for him in a similar manner to Charlie Adam’s did before he came into our the first team.

100 games with who?? Hamilton? Nobody said he was a novice, what was said was maybe it would have been better keeping him, maybe in the reserves so we could call upon him if needed.
And the manager obviously disagrees but if you think you know better then fair enough

And the manager obviously disagrees but if you think you know better then fair enough
It's obvious you prefer him going out on loan and I prefer him staying with us, let's see how the season pans out, maybe later you will agree that you wished we had kept him in the reserves.

Think he'll buck the trend of fringe players going out on loan, and actually come back and make his mark, sure the ability is there and the the desire definitely, hopefully playing regularly in a physical, not overly technical league will stand him in good stead for the rigours of our hammer throwing opponents

He’s not good enough? Remind me again why MA chose him, chase him for quite a while, paid rather a lot of money and with not that many games under his belt he suddenly finds himself loaned out to fecking Shrewsbury. If the boy is behind Andy Halliday in the pecking order the big question should be why the feck did the club go for him in the first place.

Agree with op but also agree with guys he needs games to develop need to trust the managers decision on this one he's no got much wrong so far

Shrewsbury aren't doing too well, they only have one point. However reports say that Docherty has played well so far.

I think the experience will help his career. Hopefully he will come back a player capable of playing in our midfield. If not then we can hope he gets noticed down south and makes us a wee profit.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. With a lot of games on the horizon, should we qualify, and the brutality of our league (combined with refs and compliance officers who allow assaults on our players) we will probably need more midfielders.

Playing reserve team football every week and waiting for us to pick up , multiple injuries/suspensions was never going to do anything for his develpment.

If i'm being honest I think we've sent him down there to put him in the shop window for teams in that league and the one above.

100 senior games under his belt and 22 years old next month. If he can't do the basics like retain possession by making a 5 yard pass to feet at this stage of his career I don't hold out a great deal of hope for a triumphant return for him.

I hope i'm wrong though.

He seemed decent enough last year (lof of future captain talk when he signed) then the scrap between him and Morelos after the scum game happened and he was never the same?

Too many posters in a rush to throw Docherty under the bus, despite his performances for Hamilton, Canning’s words, Allen’s decision to buy and Gerrard’s decision to give him more time to show what he can do. As BB said, he bested wonder-bhoy McGinn whilst playing for an inferior team, so he has the potential, at least in the SPL. No, he’s not good enough to displace our preferred midfielders as it stands but that doesn’t mean he won’t be good enough when he gets his mojo back. How about we treat him with the respect due one of our own?

Last edited:
I’d like to see him try and turn into a Reyna type.

Needs game and coaching though. Still, all the base attributes and a cracking attitude - confident it will Work out.

Don't see the point in him going to league one Shrewsbury in all honesty.

he'd have been better in the reserves making fleeting appearances with a tight schedule.

They've changed the policy for the Reserves at the club, and it's being used for u19/u18 development. Players older go out on loan if they are unable to make the first team squad directly so they can get regular game time.

For me when you read the reference he received from Martin Canning it gave you an insight into what appears a totally dedicated young man.

Part of that dedication has created his very strong physique and it was noticeable last season. Nobody could out muscle him and in actual fact everybody that went toe to toe with him simply bounced off him.

The other things for me last season was his whole body language when on the bench. He was never a reluctant looker on. If we scored he was out there celebrating like the bear he is. When you hear him speak he is a very respectful young man with a great love of our club.

He was guilty of passing the ball to the other team once too many times during the period when even our most experienced players were going into their shells.

My hope is that the loan works out for him in a similar manner to Charlie Adam’s did before he came into our the first team.

Well said. Some people are saying ‘not good enough’ but his introduction last year galvanised us and we had a decent run. When we got beat by the Tims - a game we should’ve won - we never recovered. Killed our momentum.

He added much needed steel in the middle of the park. Yes, his passing could improve but I remember Gerrard as a youngster trying to unsuccessfully spray crossfield balls all the time until he learned.

Much better than Halliday.

Back