Docherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

migsy323

I think it’s about time he was given a chance in Arfields role. Arfield has been poor this season and has chipped in with goals. Docherty albeit in a lower division scored a few goals on loan last season and was voted Shrewsbury’s player of the season. Arfield like Tav and Goldson appear to be undroppable in Gerrards eyes

I think it’s about time was given a chance in Arfields role. Arfield has been poor this season and has chipped in with goals. Docherty albeit in a lower division scored a few goals on loan last season and was voted Shrewsbury’s player of the season. Arfield like Tav and Goldson appear to be undroppable in Gerrards eyes

You do know that our coaching staff watch players closely in training?

He's clearly not performing better than any of the other options.

Change the record about Goldson mate.

We saw again on Sunday that he's our best central defender.

I think it’s about time was given a chance in Arfields role. Arfield has been poor this season and has chipped in with goals. Docherty albeit in a lower division scored a few goals on loan last season and was voted Shrewsbury’s player of the season. Arfield like Tav and Goldson appear to be undroppable in Gerrards eyes
When he has been given a chance against east fife and poor part time Europa opponents and doesn’t catch the eye there is a reason he is closer to Siberia than our first team. A hibs player at best. Great attitude and good pro doesn’t cut it at Rangers.

They must not be watching arfield in games then.

I think it’s about time he was given a chance in Arfields role. Arfield has been poor this season and has chipped in with goals. Docherty albeit in a lower division scored a few goals on loan last season and was voted Shrewsbury’s player of the season. Arfield like Tav and Goldson appear to be undroppable in Gerrards eyes

Goldson is our best defender, that’s why he’s in the team.

Players like Docherty, Polster, McCrorie etc, the longer they don't play, the better they seem to get on here.
While I agree that Arfield hasn't been at the races this season, I've never seen anything to suggest that Docherty could be an improvement.
It's a shame because I'd love to see guys like Doc and McCrorie, young Scottish talent playing in the first team, but I don't think they are good enough to be honest.
I can see the argument that if you never try, then you never know, but we're trying to win leagues here. No room for experiments or sentiments.

You don't think Arfield played well v Hamilton, Aberdeen and Feyenoord recently?
You think Aribo is worth his place in the side ahead of him?

Arfield seems to be an easy target for some.
I agree with regards to aribo but airfield has been poor for weeks also imo.

While there is merit in what you say, we also need to place emphasis on what is happening in games.

Arfield looks shattered to me, I don’t think enough realise who much the lack of a summer break, plus the continued travelling with Canada is probably taking out of him.

I thought Goldson was good on Sunday, still a number of games for me this year where he hasn’t shown to be our best centre half. Can’t say I’m thrilled with the constant rotating in such a key area of the team.

Ojo, I really don’t care what he is doing in training to be honest. When it counts he is not offering enough.

Docherty I just don’t think is good enough sadly on the ball. I think a permanent move in January or at least a loan will be in the offing.

The midfield and wide areas as per last year lack someone who will hit double figures. We rely too heavily on Morelos and Defoe.

I don’t see that type of player in our ranks at the moment, and Docherty wouldn’t be that player in my opinion.

Docherty is, like McCrorie, very lacking in technical aspects of the game.

Bit of a problem when you are playing for a team that dominate posession in every game.

When he has been given a chance against east fife and poor part time Europa opponents and doesn’t catch the eye there is a reason he is closer to Siberia than our first team. A hibs player at best. Great attitude and good pro doesn’t cut it at Rangers.

Surely you are not advocating he should have a poor attitude and be amateurish to cut it a Rangers :))

I think docherty could be useful as one of the wider players. He has good energy to also track back and help the full back and a lot of the goals he seemed to score that I seem came from him driving through from wider areas.
It not the worst suggestion in the world from the op.

Ah yes, the monthly Greg Docherty thread.

I genuinely believe that some on here think that we can "give him a try" and if it doesn't work the points lost don't actually count at the end of the season.
We cannot afford to give anyone a chance for the sake of it, especially a player who has already had a chance and couldn't cut the mustard.

There is definitely a player in Docherty but he needs games to not only show what he can do but to help develop him as a player.
For me he was the best young prospect in Scottish football during his final year at Hamilton and totally dominated our midfield, Ryan Jack included, during their 2-0 win at Ibrox. I'd rather see him getting game time rather than Halliday, Polster and Ojo. A run of sub appearances would make a big difference to the lad.

He is obviously not up to the standard we need. He has a good attitude but he's been here nearly 2 years and after a decent loan spell doesn't seem to be any closer to the first team.
I can see him being sold or loaned out in January.

You don't think Arfield played well v Hamilton, Aberdeen and Feyenoord recently?

I don't think he has been half as bad as made out by some. He is a vital cog in how we play, especially in Europe with pressing and winning the ball high up the park.

He had a howler against Hearts but apart from Borna and maybe Alfie, everyone did.

In saying that though I would quite like to see him drop back into midfield

Players like Docherty, Polster, McCrorie etc, the longer they don't play, the better they seem to get on here.
While I agree that Arfield hasn't been at the races this season, I've never seen anything to suggest that Docherty could be an improvement.
It's a shame because I'd love to see guys like Doc and McCrorie, young Scottish talent playing in the first team, but I don't think they are good enough to be honest.
I can see the argument that if you never try, then you never know, but we're trying to win leagues here. No room for experiments or sentiments.

A factor in that is the number of games each have been given to show what they can do, surely?
Although, in this particular case, GD for SA isn't like for like either.

It must feel like having to choose between your two kids for @MearnsUnionist when it comes to Arfield and Docherty.

Docherty sadly will never be good enough and Feyenoord aside Arfield has been pretty shite all season.

Every Rangers player is an easy target on here.

From posters that could not even carry their boots never mind lace them.

Absolutely nothing constructive just very critical, it’s getting very depressing.

I don't think he has been half as bad as made out by some. He is a vital cog in how we play, especially in Europe with pressing and winning the ball high up the park.

He had a howler against Hearts but apart from Borna and maybe Alfie, everyone did.

In saying that though I would quite like to see him drop back into midfield

Agreed mate.

There is so much about Docherty - his enthusiasm and obvious love for Rangers - that makes the majority of posters on FF I suspect hope that he will succeed. Whilst I share this opinion, I have to accept that Gerrard and his coaching staff are observing Docherty perform in training sessions, and have concluded that what they are seeing doesn't indicate that he is a better option than the other midfielders in the squad.

The fact that Dcoherty now doesn't even merit a place on the bench is a worrisome sign for the lad's future.

He is obviously not up to the standard we need. He has a good attitude but he's been here nearly 2 years and after a decent loan spell doesn't seem to be any closer to the first team.
I can see him being sold or loaned out in January.

Sadly I think you are spot on with your synopsis mate. I really had high hopes for Greg Docherty, however I fear his career will progress elsewhere.
Gutted as I thought we'd signed a long term gem. That's football I guess.

It must feel like having to choose between your two kids for @MearnsUnionist when it comes to Arfield and Docherty.

Docherty sadly will never be good enough and Feyenoord aside Arfield has been pretty shite all season.

Wtf you talking about?

Whether or not a player is a favourite of mine, I'll criticise him.

Docherty isn't good enough as things stand, but Arfield has had good games and some bad games this season.

To say Arfield has been shite all season is just.... shite.

He’s not made the benchmark mate in fvck knows how long

What makes you think he’s worth a shot in that role unless your a relative of his?

Every Rangers player is an easy target on here.

From posters that could not even carry their boots never mind lace them.

Absolutely nothing constructive just very critical, it’s getting very depressing.

Unless it's Katic or McGregor mate.

They're the untouchable ones and I say that as a big fan of both, but they get it way easier than anyone else.

Reactions: GF7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back