Doekhi can choose between Union Berlin and Rangers FC

I’d imagine Union Berlin, Europa football and playing in the Bundesliga will have swayed him there.

I think the fact they're a bit unknown is what is throwing people. If it was Stuttgart currently sitting 5th and he signed for them it would probably seem less galling as we've heard of them.

I know a lot of bears had been very high on Doekhi, but having watched plenty of him this past season, I feel we have dodged a bullet with him.

Positionally, he’s one of the worst defenders I have ever seen in a back 3. He reminds me of Harry Maguire almost entirely. Large, natural athlete, great at winning basic duels & aerial clearances, but otherwise absolutely useless on the back foot. If you watch Vitesse’s entire season of goals conceded, you’ll barely ever see Doekhi in the frame, he’s usually standing 25 yards out when shots are being tapped in, headers are being scored & set pieces are being defended. He’s a big lump. Haha.

Sadly choosing the Bundesliga over the SPFL is sadly the obvious choice. My concern is the board have shown no desire to push the boat out to sign better players. If Goldson is going his replacement has to be at least the same standard not a boy from Hearts with a worse injury record than Andy Webster. Brilliant as it was to see the young lads play on Saturday they need supplemented with top quality players. Look at the Man U class of 92 they brought in several top players to help them. Now financially we can’t afford the same level but we need better than free transfers. Whether this Dutch lad is any good I’ve no idea but it’s not a great direction of travel. Who spends most generally wins trophies.
I‘m well aware we need to act carefully but there has to be more than we’ve seen in recent transfer windows.

The Bundesliga is a big draw, so I wouldn't be surprised if he chose them due to that.
This is the problem we have isn't it? In Bundesliga he gets a crack at Bayern, Dortmund and various other huge clubs meanwhile Inverness CT and Kirk Broadfoot might be waiting for him in Scotland along with plastic pitches at Livi and Kilie. And having to listen to Jim Goodwin moaning constantly.

A player no one has ever seen choosing The Bundesliga over the horrors of our league and people are angry.

Crazy.

Plenty have seen him play. Eredivisie and European football is on the tv every week.

He's a good player but it seems like he's chosen Union Berlin over Rangers - Bundesliga football pisses all over Scottish football.

We need to find 2 first choice centre backs.

He's made his choice and we'll search for other targets.
It's not as if the new season starts this Saturday coming!
Who knows? - by that time we may even have a few bob extra to spend on new players? ;)

It's possible our interest in him cooled. Not the end of the world and I doubt Berlin will be in Europe in 2023

Seems strange he’s chosen Berlin for Europa League football if he had the option of joining the potential winners and European Super Cup finalists

Maybe our plans have changed due to the money we’ve brought in

I know we have been linked but have we ever publicly declared an interest in him? Or is it all agent speak to raise his profile?

Ah well. He fitted the sort of profile we want our signings to fall under perfectly, but they're hard to get.

Next up on the FF "We absolutely must sign this guy" train will be Ola Solbakken from Bodo/Glimt who will probably go to Roma.

I’d imagine Union Berlin, Europa football and playing in the Bundesliga will have swayed him there.
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Because of the europa league chance? A team of jobbers who will probably get pumped out in the first round over a team in the fucking final. Clown. He's shite anyway. Probably.
Certainly would be odd to choose a Europa League chance and not go for the team in the final of it, and who will have a go at qualifying for the Champions League (or hopefully be in pot 1). But whatever.

Another Ross Wilson masterclass....
We may have never been interested in him, although during an interview in December he said we were. Who knows maybe things like that have put our Club off of him. Plenty more players to choose from as well, no worries.

He's made his choice probably on the quality of the league, who can slate him for that,he won't be the only CB,we are interested in,and now that we have had this amazing run in Europe and have made more prize money and hopefully a bucket load more when we win it,we can go for a higher standard of player so I won't lose any sleep that Doekhi isn't coming..after all its his lose.

Union Berlin are a historic club in a great city and, whether we like it or not, the Bundesliga is a fantastic draw for players - much more attractive than the SPFL.

This is the problem we have isn't it? In Bundesliga he gets a crack at Bayern, Dortmund and various other huge clubs meanwhile Inverness CT and Kirk Broadfoot might be waiting for him in Scotland along with plastic pitches at Livi and Kilie. And having to listen to Jim Goodwin moaning constantly.

On top of that, for a player on the verge of breaking into a top International team like Holland, the SPFL isn't going to give him the platform he'd want to fulfill that ambition either.

Plenty of good players will be willing to play for us, but it does often feel like a large number of our supporters aren't entirely looking at it from a rational viewpoint when it comes to the challenges we face.

We may have never been interested in him, although during an interview in December he said we were. Who knows maybe things like that have put our Club off of him. Plenty more players to choose from as well, no worries.
For sure mate, but too many good players we've been linked with and missed out on who have gone on to be very good. Feels all to repetitive

Also Berlin isn’t a million miles from his home. Can drive back in a couple of hours on the autobahn. And very similar lifestyles.
Probably more to do with that than football reasons

I get he is joining a must better league, but to choose a tiny team over us tells us he probably doesn't have the mentality needed to play for us.

Back