Does anyone have a Grandparent older than Rangers?

My mum’s dad was born in 1901 and a strong blue nose all his life.

My dad’s dad was part of a family of famine escapees who was born in Liverpool in 1904 with his family having moved from Donegal.
They then moved to Glasgow and he was a rabid Tim but he married a good Protestant lady.
Fortunately my dad took the right path.

This is weird. I was thinking the other day that my gran (born 1916) but now dead would have been related and spoke to someone who was born in 1820s and also me.

Her Majesty is a born and bred Rangers fan and I'm pretty sure she has a log in on here.
Her granda was born in 1865 and her granny two years after that. Maybe she'll be on later to confirm.

Slightly off topic, my house was built in 1850. Ive thought about it before, the original occupants would have been around at the time the famous were formed.;)

My grandfather was born in 1920 he died in 2005 and he supported Rangers and served in ww2,his dad served in ww1 and I mind my granda saying his old man was staunch as %^*& so imagine he must have supported the famous as well,as the family where all from Partick originally .

My maternal Great Grandfather, who I remember well from my childhood, was born in North Wales in 1875 and died near Glasgow in 1962.
However my paternal Great Grandfather was born in Rhu in 1869 and who knows, he may well have known some of our founders and/or their Families!
All four of my Grandparents were born during 1899 and 1900.

Last edited:
My Grandad was born on the night of the Tay Rail Bridge disaster, 28 December 1879 so he missed by seven years but was always loyal !

One for the oldies of FF. Unlikely, but a possibility if we have a decrepit FFer.

I was thinking about my old Ma this morning and it came to me that her mother gave birth to her at the age of 45 in 1931. That would mean Rangers were only in existence 14 years when she(Granny) was born.

It sort of amazed me that I had such a close relative within touching distance of the great birth.

If nobody has a Grandparent older than the gers, who can claim the closest?
You do know rangers are near 150 yrs old

My maternal grandad was born in 1894, so means my great grandfather was born before Rangers was formed. My daughter who is 9 is doing WW1 at school, she finds it crazy that my grandad fought in both World Wars.

My two grandfathers were bluenoses born in the 1890s in Govan and Tradeston so I imagine both their fathers would have watched the fledgling Rangers.

One for the oldies of FF. Unlikely, but a possibility if we have a decrepit FFer.

I was thinking about my old Ma this morning and it came to me that her mother gave birth to her at the age of 45 in 1931. That would mean Rangers were only in existence 14 years when she(Granny) was born.

It sort of amazed me that I had such a close relative within touching distance of the great birth.

My Grandfather came from Govan where he farmed land near Ibrox.
I am sure he was born before Rangers were founded, but I might have to investigate these details.
He certainly lived and farmed around the area after Rangers moved there.
He married my grandmother who was a blacksmiths daughter from Kilbarchan.
He then moved north of the river where my father was born in 1906.
They all supported Rangers, so I assume that my Grandfather took the club with him when he moved.
He died before I was born, so I never managed to ask him.
My father and his brothers were dyed in the wool Rangers men.
One brother a stockbroker was a friend of Bill Struth.

Slightly off topic but there's a guy, or there was until very recently and I hope he still is, who attends our games who has been going to Ibrox since before the Main Stand was built. I find that fascinating.

My Grandfather came from Govan where he farmed land near Ibrox.
I am sure he was born before Rangers were founded, but I might have to investigate these details.
He certainly lived and farmed around the area after Rangers moved there.
He married my grandmother who was a blacksmiths daughter from Kilbarchan.
He then moved north of the river where my father was born in 1906.
They all supported Rangers, so I assume that my Grandfather took the club with him when he moved.
He died before I was born, so I never managed to ask him.
My father and his brothers were dyed in the wool Rangers men.
One brother a stockbroker was a friend of Bill Struth.
Finally the thread takes an articulated turn.

"He would have to be older than 147." Jesus fucking Christ.

So you had a grandparent stoating about this planet when the Rangers were born.
Not only that he was the grand age of six. Amazing.

See, I fucking telt ye it was cool all you fucking miserable bastards.
I like the idea of threads like this.
My grandparents would have been all around 1920/30s, it's pretty cool to think there are people on here who may have heard stories from their own grandparents of the formative years of our club even though they are only 2 generations apart.

It's a shame so many don't try to understand the thread or take a hissy fit at something so obvious.

5lE.gif

You could explain a wee bit better I had to read it a few times to understand what you were writing about

Your pished again aren’t ya

I am 68 years of age
My Father born 1913
My GF born 1870
My GGF born 1824
My GGGF born 1796
My GGGGF born 1766

All validated via Scotland’s People and all paternal side.

Any more predecessors requires guesswork.

I am the first RFC man in my family. My Father supported the Hi Hi.

Edit... f uck knows what happened there it was meant to be quoting another hater.

No more swally for me tonight.
I'll read this thread tomorrow and die with embarrassment.:))

I am 68 years of age
My Father born 1913
My GF born 1870
My GGF born 1824
My GGGF born 1796
My GGGGF born 1766

All validated via Scotland’s People and all paternal side.

Any more predecessors requires guesswork.

I am the first RFC man in my family. My Father supported the Hi Hi.
See, I knew this thread could be interesting if you fuckers had given it a chance.:))

My grandfather was born in 1895, so the Gers were only 23 when he was born. My father in law, who died last month, was born in 1923, so they were already 50 by that point.

Both had kids when they were in their late 40s as we are only early 50s

Off topic a bit ,but my great grandfather played for Hearts against the bears when the stadium we stiil play in was opened think it was 1899 and rangers won 3-1 or 4-1 . Up till then he was a Hearts supporter but changed to Rangers after the game . Unfortunately he was also at the game watching when the first Ibrox disaster happened never spoke about it as he was very close to where it happened .
Then a few years later a German sniper at the Somme took him .

My dad was born in 1911.

His dad died in 1974 aged 97, so older than the bheasts but not the famous.

Back