Does anyone remember the "casuals" in the Govan Stand?

Garrison Defender

In the early to mid-80's, being a casual usually meant a designer knit. For a season or two a load of fans wore jumpers but also those wee daft knitted commando-style hats that for a season or two later someone had made a fortune out of being half-and-half. For a few home games I remember hundreds of people started sitting in the Govan Stand (next to the new Broomloan) with these hats and they were our "casuals". I think the Govan Stand was originally a pound more so these guys had style. It was the first move towards a "section".

In the early to mid-80's, being a casual usually meant a designer knit. For a season or two a load of fans wore jumpers but also those wee daft knitted commando-style hats that for a season or two later someone had made a fortune out of being half-and-half. For a few home games I remember hundreds of people started sitting in the Govan Stand (next to the new Broomloan) with these hats and they were our "casuals". I think the Govan Stand was originally a pound more so these guys had style. It was the first move towards a "section".
Not 100% sure, but I think they may have sat in the red section of the Govan stand. No idea what they called themselves, right enough.

Ski hats my son still has his half Millwall half Rangers from when he was a kid but he was never in Govan only down the Den

Mind going to places like Cappielow and the home fans sang "You only fancy funny bunnets" - the ski hat boys were always next to the opposing fans but weren't really a singing section apart from "Your gonna get yer effin heads kicked in"

I remember the 70,s Arthur Black blue white and red shirts, yes i had one, took me a few weeks to save up for it, who would now go and get a get a made to measure shirt, different times eh
In the late 70's a few sharp dressers at Ibrox wore these and boating jackets etc. Was more a mod revival thing.

I remember them once in the red section in the Govan Rear, a few went to try and get out early but werent allowed. A few had their millwall bricks all ready to go as well.

Tae fck with the lot of them.

I've been going to see Rangers since 1971 and these arseholes, along with all the other 'casual' arseholes from other teams who acted and behaved like total wankers were and are a total embarrassment.

I actually detest them for a good reason.

In a good bluenose pub in the Paisley Road West (I won't name it), me and a mate, both season ticket holders and of course, Rangers daft were nearly beaten up by a crowd of these fuckers who doubted our allegiance. My mate ended up having to show them the wee Rangers tattoo he had on his upper arm.

I utterly hate these wee pricks.

Real Rangers fan loyal.

HMS was a great name. Any insight into why it was changed? By the time I knew what a casual was it was already ICF
Documentary about West Ham at the time and how their casuals traveled on inter city trains hence inter city firm (ICF)
The Rangers firm at that time starting using inter city trains as opposed to the then more common football specials trains hence inter city firm.

I've been going to see Rangers since 1971 and these arseholes, along with all the other 'casual' arseholes from other teams who acted and behaved like total wankers were and are a total embarrassment.

In a good bluenose pub in the Paisley Road West (I won't name it), me and a mate, both season ticket holders and of course, Rangers daft were nearly beaten up by a crowd of these fuckers who doubted our allegiance. My mate ended up having to show them the wee Rangers tattoo he had on his upper arm.

Real Rangers fan loyal.
Many people share this view. Yet when a group of fans they hate get a doing (even innocent ones just going to watch the game) they revel in it and take the piss

Real Rangers fan loyal.
Hearts game?

Real Rangers fan loyal.
Casuals were a menace. There was a rule about avoiding "scarfers" so that may be why they "nearly" beat you up. I think nowadays clowns just get waded in - men women and kids - low life hooligans.

I remember the spike in the brolly was a no no! Then the buisness man brolly haha
You are going back - the Bridgeton Spur or Umbrella men carried brollies in the 50's and 60's! Only old folk like me now call Bridgeton Cross the Umbrella it became the toll again in the late 80's.

Too young for me, but I remember my brother used to be a bit nawty for a few years, before he grew up. He used to regularly go down to meet up the Chelsea ICF back in the day for London derbies, and I remember him having a few bricks in his room with all the logos written on it.

I also distinctly recall him coming back from a few midweek away games at Pittodie and Easter Road with a black eye and a big daft grin.

Still boring me to this day with why certain Adidas ZX trainers are the bollocks. At least he is thankfully avoiding the Stone Island stuff these days though.

Too young for me, but I remember my brother used to be a bit nawty for a few years, before he grew up. He used to regularly go down to meet up the Chelsea ICF back in the day for London derbies, and I remember him having a few bricks in his room with all the logos written on it.

I also distinctly recall him coming back from a few midweek away games at Pittodie and Easter Road with a black eye and a big daft grin.

Still boring me to this day with why certain Adidas ZX trainers are the bollocks. At least he is thankfully avoiding the Stone Island stuff these days though.

West Ham are ICF

Chelsea went by 'Headhunters'. I doubt any of the boys that went, referred to themselves as that mind you :)

Fuxsake mate, get the socks right!
erRHJpf.gif

Just got myself a pair of Adidas trim trabbs.

Proper retro trainers

West Ham are ICF

Chelsea went by 'Headhunters'. I doubt any of the boys that went, referred to themselves as that mind you :)
Headhunters, that rings a bell. To be fair, I would have been about 9yo at the time! Was definitely Chelsea he met up with, as it ended up with me supporting them as well when I was younger, back when they had Kerry Dixon, Speedie, Nevin, Spackman, Bumstead, etc.

He used to point out all the guys that he knew when they started to appear in the News Of The World. Weird the daft things you remember from your childhood.

Maybe the bricks with ICF written on them were meant to be thrown West Ham.

Totally daft stuff looking back now.

Real Rangers fan loyal.
So you are saying you and your mate look like tim’s? B-)

Back