Does Balogun get back in?

JD1872

It will be great to have another option at centre back again but Bassey has been outstanding in that position since coming in and has shown a level of consistency that I don’t think we get from Balogun. Barisic is also getting better with every game and we look defensively strong for the first time this season.

With Helander starting to train again our CB position is suddenly not looking that much of a problem again although we really need to address the Goldson situation in January.

Last edited:
It’s a tough one. I’d like to see Balogun slowly integrated back into the team ahead of the Old Firm game because Balogun is proven against them and was MOTM last game. Bassey has been great but do we throw him in there where his job is going to be to keep out what is honestly quite a potent front three in Jota, Kyogo and Abada?

The best outcome would be Helander getting game time this month but I think it’s unlikely so I’d like to see Leon maybe play against Lyon and then let Gio decide from there.

But there’s a big difference for Bassey in playing against Nisbet, whichever striker Livingston played, Mullen, Griffiths and Cummings and the diving cheat at the paedos. The diving cheat is levels above when it comes to movement and finding space in behind.

Loving Bassey at Centre Half - great with the ball at his fest moving it out from the back quickly and has EPL levels of athleticism. All going well at the moment but that said I don’t know if it will work out with I’m in that position longer term - he will have a bad game at some point and if he’s not a natural in that position he might find it hard to come back from.

Nope, not until Bassey needs to be dropped or rested.

Bassey has been really good. Surprised me.
Agreed why upset the balance right now. And not to sleight Balogun whom I like as a player but I like Bassey’s overall attitude. He said, I think during an interview or a pre match presser that he’ll play whatever position the manager wants him to play whether that’s across the defence, midfield or up front. For a 21 year old he seems to have a very team oriented attitude which I think benefits the team and club in general

It's come at a really good time as it will allow us to see how he gets on 6 months early before we potentially lose 2 key centre halfs

Hopefully he can keep it up and it gives us less of a headache in the summer

A player should not be dropped until they need a rest or have done something wrong. Bassey has done well at centre back since being put in there by Gio. Barisic is looking good as well. Therefore, neither change until they need a break or have performed badly.

Hard one, yes Bassey has been good but still prone to getting pulled out of position and he is not very convincing in the air. If Borna keeps playing like he did today then he keeps the left back position, what happens to Bassey then ?

It’s a tough one. I’d like to see Balogun slowly integrated back into the team ahead of the Old Firm game because Balogun is proven against them and was MOTM last game. Bassey has been great but do we throw him in there where his job is going to be to keep out what is honestly quite a potent front three in Jota, Kyogo and Abada?

The best outcome would be Helander getting game time this month but I think it’s unlikely so I’d like to see Leon maybe play against Lyon and then let Gio decide from there.

But there’s a big difference for Bassey in playing against Nisbet, whichever striker Livingston played, Mullen, Griffiths and Cummings and the diving cheat at the paedos. The diving cheat is levels above when it comes to movement and finding space in behind.
I will be honest and say I would rather Bassey pace against the diving Japanese. Helander and Balogun have less pace.

Bassey's done well, but he's obviously a left full-back.

Of course Balogun gets back in, but even then he should only be a short-term option. For a club of Rangers stature he's an obvious third-choice.

We have two centre-halves who are good enough. One has a long-term injury. The other has an attitude and should be leaving shortly.

Katic was looking good before the injury, but that was a really bad injury. Can he come back from it? Time will tell.

I sincerely hope that both Goldson and Balogun are fit for Tynecastle, Pittodrie and the Piggery. Three very big away matches.
Might find himself 4th choice very quickly

Despite some big performances, just something about Balogun Ive never really been convinced by

Big Bassey certainly deserves a starting jersey for the forseeable whether that be at CB or even LB!
He's hardly put a foot wrong every time he's played!

I think Balogun might get back in on Thursday and that we will see significant changes to the team against Lyon.
However I don’t expect him to be playing next week away at Hearts.

No, we suddenly look comfortable and more organised when teams attack us without Balogun.

I had resigned myself that it would be like that until Helander was back but Bassey has done the business.

Yes a fully fit Balogun gets the place in the team. I would rather see Bassey as the left back.

All mute once Helander is fit again. He is straight in the team ahead of both.

Balogun isn’t great tbh, overhyped at times. Bassey starts while performing like this until Helander is ready.

Not sure. Helander for sure would take the shirt .

I think it would be wrong to drop Borna he seems to be coming onto a game now and I think he is benefitting from Gios system workload wise

Bassey should keep his place on current form for sure.

I dont mind Balogun, but he is prone to a howler every couple of months which ships a few goals.

If there is the slightest bit of honesty and decisions being made on performance rather than last season’s reputation then no, Balogun doesn’t get back in. And it isn’t even close. We are back to consistently winning the ball in the air in the central defence. Something we don’t do when Balogun is there.

We have only conceded 1 goal in the last 4 games with Bassey at CB.

In the last 4 games with Balogun at CB we conceded 6 goals.

You could argue about the quality of the opposition in those games, but the data suggests our defense is better with Bassey at CB.

Some of Bassey’s positioning is absolutely chronic and I think that’s what could force Gio’s hand, but I’ve been impressed with him but when it comes to playing Celtic I think Balogun could be back in.

Bassey’s still so raw he’s fond of just charging into areas of the pitch, better teams will punish that.

Yes for me. I’d move Bassey to LB and drop Barisic. He was better today but haven’t been impressed with him this season so far.

Yes. I imagine if we rotate LB, Balogun has to come in.

When Helander comes back, I don't think so though.

To use a fishing analogy - Never leave fish to find bigger fish.

Bassey has stepped up and has put in very good performances.

Some of Bassey’s positioning is absolutely chronic and I think that’s what could force Gio’s hand, but I’ve been impressed with him but when it comes to playing Celtic I think Balogun could be back in.

Bassey’s still so raw he’s fond of just charging into areas of the pitch, better teams will punish that.
I think you'll find that 9 times out of 10 when "he charges into areas of the pitch" he actually wins possession back and creates an attack!
He's done that multiple times so far...he makes a mistake but almost always manages to recover the situation.
That's one of the things I really like about him!

I think you'll find that 9 times out of 10 when "he charges into areas of the pitch" he actually wins possession back and creates an attack!
He's done that multiple times so far...he makes a mistake but almost always manages to recover the situation.
That's one of the things I really like about him!
He didn’t today in the first half and a better team than Dundee would’ve punished it.

Can’t leave that kind of space for Kyogo.

It’s not good defending when he doesn’t win the ball.

He didn’t today in the first half and a better team than Dundee would’ve punished it.

Can’t leave that kind of space for Kyogo.

It’s not good defending when he doesn’t win the ball.
I can't recall the incident you're referring to as I was watching it live.
You might be correct but altogether I thought he had another great game today.

I think he’s a bit unlucky that barasic has come into some good form of late, think he might be riding the pine soon enough!

I can't recall the incident you're referring to as I was watching it live.
You might be correct but altogether I thought he had another great game today.
Don’t get me wrong I agree with you that he was good overall, my original feeling on it is just that these positional lapses might see Balogun in for games like Celtic

Bassey is still learning the position. Balogun back in for me as good as Bassey has been.

It's amazing how many people overlook Goldsons role in guiding bassey through games.

Never mind the team, will Balogun even make the bench. Making the bench is looking tough these days.

If you want to maintain standards and motivation you have to let guys performing keep the shirt.

Bassey is doing that and his confidence is flying.

The unknown is how GvB has reorganised that team and made them more cohesive in the back line and if Balogun would conveniently understand that setup . Basset has clearly picked it up swiftly , at least for these levels , but Lyon will be another few notches above what we have been asked to play this far .

Organisation i so vital at those levels isn’t it. We will learn a lot about our staff and players this midweek as they try to step up to CL type opposition.

That's an interesting one... Bassey has been great.... over to GVB for that one..
Let’s be honest. He has filled a hole, and did well but of course big Leon comes straight back in.

Easiest question you will be asked all week.

Back