Does Gerrard have a Walter type curve ball he could play on Sunday

I'm sure I heard someone say the Walter Smith curveball was a bit of a myth.

Can't say I remember any mental line ups in his 2nd spell, I was too young for his first spell.
It's not true. He sometimes flung squad players he hadn't given recent minutes into OF games. Usually they shone eg Charlie Adams.

I'm sure I heard someone say the Walter Smith curveball was a bit of a myth.

Can't say I remember any mental line ups in his 2nd spell, I was too young for his first spell.

Jamie Ness out the blue

Rhys McCabe out the blue

Kyle Laggerty right wing v Izzigere (sp) when he was their best player

Andy Little at right-back?

I hope he doesn't mess with it and just puts out our best team to hammer them.
Arfield for Aribo would be my only change and that wouldn't be considered a curveball.

He started Barker in the 2-0 win first OF of the season when we absolutely dominated them. Not that he played particularly well but it gave us a different dimension and gave their defence something to think about.

Could potentially see Wright come in for this one, hardly a curveball though.

Be interesting to see what he does with the midfield.

I think Wright will play. They have Forrest back and additional wide pace would work to out advantage, pin him further back or at least allow us to break at speed. Kent and Wright either side of Morelos

do we need one?
I think so, we have went a bit bland and god himself said so therefore I agree ( when he said winning the league to early has been almost bad for us ) so yeah I think we need a little something different but I think we will start the same team against Hibs and I am not as confident as previous games against them due to this

While I understand the calls for Wright to start I won't be surprised if he remains on the bench. He has showed flashes of good play but I get the feeling it's one of those decisions where management know and see more than the fans and I'll leave it to the management to make the call. If he is deserving of a start we would have seen it by now.

As for the curveball I don't think we need one.

would play Alfie, Kent and Roofe from the start and go for the jugular

Would give Wright the last 30 minutes when their legs start to tire
Don't think he'll go with Roofe n Alfie.

Earlier post suggested Wright in terms of Barker who he played at the nonce hut for counter attacks.... I'd go with that

Of course he does.

Could play 3 at the back

Could play 4-4-2

Could play a diamond

Could change personnel

But he won’t. Prob 9 out of 11 places are secured to start right now.

Choices are 3rd midfield spot and up top with Morelos and Kent.

Arfield and Wright in, Roofe and Aribo out for a curveball. Think it’ll be Arfield and Aribo starting out of this four. Rest of the team is nailed on.

Under Walter he was the master of throwing a curve ball into the mix that no-one expected, whether it be bringing in a player no-one expected or tweaking the formation. Can't complain at Gerrard's record against that mob but the last few games we haven't overpowered them like earlier in Gerrard's reign. Celtic will likely stick to the diamond formation as they will be of the opinion that it's worked even though we are still undefeated against them this season.
Would like Gerrard to tweak it slightly and put Celtic under pressure from the start so potentially play Scott Wright and use his pace to keep Celtic on the back foot.
Alfie and Roofe wide of Kent in the middle.

Kent can drop back when we need help.
Alfie does naturally. And when on the attack Kent can go left or right with the strikers shuffling along.

Strongest eleven. With it being a cup game and Brave John bumping his gums about being the best team in Scotland we will have the battle fever on and hit them hard and fast from the first whistle. If we bring our high paced, pressing game,we can destroy them.

A Walter curveball tended to just be playing another centre half (very rarely actually at centre half though).

We shouldn’t be changing anything for Sunday. We should be confident in ourselves and if we play to our best, we’ll win.

Under Walter he was the master of throwing a curve ball into the mix that no-one expected, whether it be bringing in a player no-one expected or tweaking the formation. Can't complain at Gerrard's record against that mob but the last few games we haven't overpowered them like earlier in Gerrard's reign. Celtic will likely stick to the diamond formation as they will be of the opinion that it's worked even though we are still undefeated against them this season.
Would like Gerrard to tweak it slightly and put Celtic under pressure from the start so potentially play Scott Wright and use his pace to keep Celtic on the back foot.
Does he need one?

Itten in a top 3 with Alfie and Kent. Guys hardly had any minutes recently but sod it Chuck him in at let him at them!

Last old firm our team had just come through a tough spell and the mhanks couldn’t get it over the line,we are going into this refreshed and ready....at Ibrox.no curve ball needed.

The only so called curve ball we have is Zungu and I REALLY can't see him starting.

Like most reckon only choices to be made are between Airbo/Arfield in midfield and Roofe/Aribo in front 3.

The only so called curve ball we have is Zungu and I REALLY can't see him starting.

Like most reckon only choices to be made are between Airbo/Arfield in midfield and Roofe/Aribo in front 3.

We could do something really mental like go 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 but I don’t see it happening!

Not a curve ball as such but go out and play 4 2 3 1 and fucking attack these mutants from the off, high tempo 1 touch passing, no excuses, No Surrender

Don’t be surprised if he goes with Kent wright as two wide men it will stretch thier back line

I’d not start Aribo or Hagi for this one. Arfield matches up with Scott Brown rather well. I’m expecting this 11 to start however Wright deserves game time

McGregor
Paterson
Goldson
Helander
Barasic
Davis
Arfield
Kamara
Roofe
Morelos
Kent

Subs
McLauchlin
Bassey
Balogun
Simpson
Hagi
Wright
Aribo
Defoe
Itten

Strong bench this season

Unless he decides to play Leon Balogun wide of a midfield 4 it wont compare to seeing Craig Moore wear number 7 jersey for us!!!
I am sure I remember us playing with 6 centre halves at various parts of the pitch in one game against them. Moore was the absolute centre half, full back, winger!

"Curveball" is probably the wrong word (and a sickly Americanism) for decisions that were made to bolster the midfield - usually Charlie Adam related - in games at the Piggery. Any other decisions were reacting to the limitations or strength of the squad at the time.

To win games you play your best team. I can't think of one line-up that Gerrard has made since he came to Rangers that could be described as genuinely unpredictable or unexpected.

Give it up, people!

Kent through middle - speed and quick feet plus they will be trying to stop balls from wide - if kent steps in leaves borna space

I see the record online are doing a piece asking if Gerrard will do anything different and referring back to Walters time

Wonder what their log in is for this site?

"Curveball" is probably the wrong word (and a sickly Americanism) for decisions that were made to bolster the midfield - usually Charlie Adam related - in games at the Piggery. Any other decisions were reacting to the limitations or strength of the squad at the time.

To win games you play your best team. I can't think of one line-up that Gerrard has made since he came to Rangers that could be described as genuinely unpredictable or unexpected.

Give it up, people!
Brandon Barker starting the first old firm of the season was unpredictable IMO.

Brandon Barker starting the first old firm of the season was unpredictable IMO.

Not entirely unpredictable - he'd played in six games by that point and played a good chunk of European games, most notably Porto away. Gerrard must have felt that in both games we wouldn't see a lot of the ball and could hit them on the counter.

No curveballs please! Just every one of our great squad on top form from the start. Put them to the sword. We are a much better footballing side so let’s show it and some.

Would be great if we were able to have Ryan Jack and Tav back playing on Sunday even if just on ftom the subs bench, after saying nothing about their return but obviously that doesn't look likely.

Anybody know anything about their progress?

Give it up, people!

The first old firm game of last season was a definite surprise - dropped Morelos for Defoe, played Aribo up top and totally changed the dynamic of the team.

Other than, however, I agree with your points.

Back