Does Hagi fall out of games

He’s a young guy in a new country and new league. I expect his development will be like Aribo- that is, a bit inconsistent this year, and that it will be next season before we see the best of him.

I reckon Hagi will prove to be the most naturally gifted player in the country.

We've got at least a couple of players ourselves who look to be more naturally gifted than Hagi....and in the modern game you won't survive with natural talent alone.

The boy clearly has talent personally I'm not sure the Scottish game is the best place to develop it but we will see......

Said previously he is on another level compared to most of team. Hagi and Aribo have clicked a few times, Alfie reads it most times as well, but he is just to quick for his teammates so far. As you say, it looks like he has made the wrong decision, or made a poor pass when he has seen an opening and assumed the receiving player has as well.
This actually the key to it once he gets on their wave length and they get used to how he will play the ball he will get better.

I remember watching gazza and zoomer next to me was screaming and shouting whys he not playing it to feet he had played it five ten feet in front of mccall I think it was.

The reason he did that was to force mcall fwd but to also give himself the space to run into when the player moved to get the ball. And receive it back

Some players are so far ahead in moves that they forget that others arnt on the same wavelength.

Great players can see the move already but also know how to get the best out of other players around them

He has been in and out of most games he’s played for us so far. That’s the honest view. That said, he’s only 21, still new to the club, and is definitely always looking to make positive contributions in a match, whether those be shots or chance creation. I like him, but I do think he won’t be guaranteed a start when Roofe is fit or if we sign another midfielder of quality.

We're only two games in.

Hagi isn't Messi, but he will come good, and I think especially at Parkhead he will shine.

Watching the highlights tonight it’s more apparent Just how often Hagi was involved with clever touches and great lay offs. He did get quieter later on but around 75 mins we simply started recycling possession and saving energy.

He looked better in the pre season games, but I've no doubt he'll find his form and be a big player for us this season.

Don't think he's a 75 minute man, it was him that kept going in the Braga comeback and scored a late winner v Hibs last season.

Mate you seem to want to talk him down for some strange reason. I will stick to watching and enjoying his football.
I want to see him playing well and influencing games. He's done neither thus far this season.

You seem to think he was unplayable on Sunday!
Now we can all have differing opinions, but to say he was unplayable is patently not true and is in fact utter nonsense. He can and will do a lot better than he did on Sunday.

Thought he was excellent in the first half hour, finding soace constantly in the middle and linking the attack.

Much quieter 2nd half though, yes. No concerns though.
I agree. Lots of clever stuff first half including fantastic cross field to set Aribo I think it was away. Definitely less effective 2nd half.

I have said before all he lacks is another yard of pace if he had it he wouldn’t be at Rangers more likely he’d be at Real Madrid or PSG
FFS, really? Sadiq is quite quick I hear. His old man was quite slow I hear. We truly should sell him now if this is the shit we want to pass on to him. I phucking despair at our support and we will continue to deserve what we get until we recognise those that may change it.

I want to see him playing well and influencing games. He's done neither thus far this season.

You seem to think he was unplayable on Sunday!
Now we can all have differing opinions, but to say he was unplayable is patently not true and is in fact utter nonsense. He can and will do a lot better than he did on Sunday.
In your opinion of course, or are your words those we should just accept?

We've got at least a couple of players ourselves who look to be more naturally gifted than Hagi....and in the modern game you won't survive with natural talent alone.

The boy clearly has talent personally I'm not sure the Scottish game is the best place to develop it but we will see......
Who? And what would you base that on?

I think he is the type of player who is a bit of a luxury. He has that ability to change a game with brilliance but he needs grafters behind him.

Kent was similar last year but seems to have changed it dramatically this season so far
He has one of the best work rates in the team.

He's the guy that will suffer the most from a lack of crowd.

He;s a big game player and feeds off the crowd.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

However, whilst that is his strength, it's also his major weakness.

If, in this period of weirdness,, he can find a way to perform in games without the "big game" tag and the atmosphere (whilst maintaining the additional edge when it actually is there) then he will be a megastar.

I thought when he came on against Leverkusen we looked a much better team attacking wise. We had tended to stay in straight lines most of the night, keeping a solid shape as you would expect away to a team like Leverkusen, but when he was on we suddenly had a better link between midfield and attack due to him finding space in between the lines and having someone closer to Morelos centrally.

He seems like a natural central number 10 or 2nd striker, but we don’t play with one unfortunately. Still not overly convinced by our main formation despite some decent results and performances so far this season and last, and a player like Hagi may not always convince in the formation we play. As effective as Kent and Aribo can be on their day, I still reckon Hagi can become our most creative asset if used correctly.

Well do you think he's played well so far?
Yes I do and I think but for him, we would not have faced the Germans. Our goal against Dolly was a lot to do with him. Most of our attacking play yesterday was to do with him. What exactly are you expecting for £3m? Go on, give us your parallel player?

You can see his talent when it comes to linking the play up between attack & midfield. IMO his two issues are the pace & physicality of the scottish league (i.g. Borna 1st year syndrome) and it taking too long for the midfield to get the ball to him and opposition 9 man defence already being set.

Fact is if he had already combined his talent with all these other things we wouldn't be able to afford him. He's a young lad who has bought into what our club means and has earned the chance to settle in properly

He needs better quality around him, the amount of times he gets in absolutely brilliant positions and doesn't receive the ball from either Kamara and Jack is mental. Cannot believe what some folk are writing on here. :))

100% these are the same folk who wanted Barisic sold in his first season. Crazy stuff. He's 21...

FFS, really? Sadiq is quite quick I hear. His old man was quite slow I hear. We truly should sell him now if this is the shit we want to pass on to him. I phucking despair at our support and we will continue to deserve what we get until we recognise those that may change it.

He has a tendency to drift out of games and hasn’t started the season particularly well. People are allowed to discuss it, it doesn’t mean they want him gone or that they aren’t willing to be patient with him, and it’s definitely not grounds for a hissy fit.

He’s 21, time is on his side, but with the ability he has I’d still hope for quite a bit more and quite quickly too in terms of the next handful of games.

People will ultimately judge the boy simply by his numbers, because of his style and position. We've let our fake 10s/wingers get away without producing these last 2 years so you'd hope he'll get the same level of patience. But the boy is a class act, and I for one am just going to enjoy watching him entertain as he's absolute box office for me. Whether he goes to the top or not who knows but he's easily as good as some players in the big leagues. We're hardly tripping over ourselves in this league with talent like that.

He has a tendency to drift out of games and hasn’t started the season particularly well. People are allowed to discuss it, it doesn’t mean they want him gone or that they aren’t willing to be patient with him, and it’s definitely not grounds for a hissy fit.

He’s 21, time is on his side, but with the ability he has I’d still hope for quite a bit more and quite quickly too in terms of the next handful of games.
It is a bit annoying though when some people's opinions just seem completely blind or uninformed. It can be baffling just how different opinions can be, so baffling it almost seems there is no common ground.

the guy is clearly extremely talented and hard working.

It is a bit annoying though when some people's opinions just seem completely blind or uninformed. It can be baffling just how different opinions can be, so baffling it almost seems there is no common ground.

the guy is clearly extremely talented and hard working.

He’s not played particularly well in the first couple of league games though. There’s nothing uninformed or blind about that opinion, that’s just how it is. But it seems hes already been moved into the same camp as one or two others where any remark that isn’t positive provokes a lot of anger and resentment.

It’s okay to discuss these things, providing it’s not abject shite like “he seems like a waste of money”.

Last edited:
He hasnt impressed me this season, and yes he does fall out of games, but I'm sure he will come good.

I'm the same. He's been one of our weaker players in my opinion. He's really talented but I think he lacks consistency. He can play a great pass and unlock a defence or he can play a really sloppy ball and put us on the back foot.

I don’t agree. I think he has contributed well so far and enough for me to think him remaining fit for the season will be key for us.

A hissy fit - dear god. There we go, someone doesn’t follow a narrative that you subscribe to and somehow they are unbalanced. Seriously mate, I’ll stick with my unbalanced yet positive view as opposed to yours. Hopefully that’s okay with you?

Jesus, the number of people that actually believe their own shit on here is alarming. Including me :))

Last edited:
I don’t agree. I think he has contributed well so far and enough for me to think him remaining fit for the season will be key for us.

A hissy fit - dear god. There we go, someone doesn’t follow a narrative that you subscribe to and somehow they are unbalanced. Seriously mate, I’ll stick with my unbalanced yet positive view as opposed to yours. Hopefully that’s okay with you?

Jesus, the number of people that actually believe their own shit on here is alarming. Including me :))

Some guy said if he had pace he’d be outwith our reach (probably true) and you start telling us about how you despair at our support :D Surely you must see the irony of your second paragraph after you challenging other people’s views in semi-aggressive manner?

Of course you’re entitled to your opinion, just as others are entitled to theirs, for example I personally can’t fathom how anyone who’s watched both league games could conclude that he’d played well, and there’s nothing wrong with stating so. But the fact is certain people seem to overreact and get very upset if you’re in any way critical of his performances, and most fans are just saying he needs time to really find his feet domestically, it’s not as though they’re writing him off or expressive grave concern for his future here.

You make a vital point, he will be a key player this season; against Aberdeen he was better than he was given credit for. He's perhaps trying too hard at times, but it's the beginning of the season and he's eager to impress. I think having a more experienced player Roofe will benefit him immensely. Hagi and Aribo will be big for us this season; as will Kent.

Last edited:
Think we have to realise he's still 21.

He's been unlucky with a few things not coming off in the first two games. His through ball to Morelos yesterday was a moment of class and vision.

I think he'll continue to get better. He has a lot of ability.
Exactly Alfie was raw at 21 too.

Hagi is an excellent footballer . Can link well with the other ‘footballers’ in the side. In the last two games on occasion he has misplaced a few passes and his touch has been uncharacteristically off. A young guy, eager to prove himself and trying too hard ? Or he has suddenly lost all his natural ability or is not as good as we all thought. I chose the first reason. Hagi’s first instinct is to go forward and attack, be creative and try things. I think he’s been trying a little too hard. Even at that he hasn’t been as poor as many suggest. The biggest threat to our performance is from over deep sitting midfielders slowing the game up by side or back passing.

Hagi is part of a team, he was bought to give us a bit of balance, to give us something that we could not get from the players who were already at the club.

The thing that he brings is a football intelligence, the ability to spot gaps and create space in tight areas.

Hagi was bought to provide, anything else is a bonus. We have to remember he is only 21 and has very little experience of the game at first team level. The other thing in his favour is that he wants to learn and no one can complain about his work rate.

He will flourish with us, I have no doubt about that.

Think also at times the team could get the ball to him more instead of Jack and Kamara fucking about passing sideways. We definitely need someone who’s not scared to pass through the lines.
Exactly,instead move Hagi deeper and he`ll have more influence with his vision and passing ability

I suppose his volley against Hibs and his assist for Kent away to Braga was a flash in the pan too. Quite clearly he has serious ability. He needs to be consistent, just like every one of his team mates.
100% mate, and the only way this happens is by playing games, learning and getting better.

Its a hard concept i know but our support will have to be patient.

I think we will see the best of Hagi with the new strikers he needs a lot of movement, in the short cameo by Itten he looks like he's good at finding space, but we need players to look up and give him the ball.

He’s not played particularly well in the first couple of league games though. There’s nothing uninformed or blind about that opinion, that’s just how it is. But it seems hes already been moved into the same camp as one or two others where any remark that isn’t positive provokes a lot of anger and resentment.

It’s okay to discuss these things, providing it’s not abject shite like “he seems like a waste of money”.
Its not just how it is. I disagree with it. He's been fine. I wouldn't call it blind in this case but it's definitely verging on uninformed. What has he done poorly in the 2 games?

Who? And what would you base that on?

Kent and Aribo. One has pace well beyond Hagi with great natural ability and the other one has close control and can beat a man when tightly marked.......Morelos clearly can join those two with his attributes

You can base it on whatever you want-value/potential/progress choose your own words but these three are ahead of Hagi in my book.

Then you can get into effectiveness...Hagi has a way to go but a lack of pace in the modern game is a major handicap.

Hagi shone for Romania in that u21 tournament because the midfield around him were dynamic, saw things quickly and moved the ball forward with purpose and kept up the tempo.

Our midfield doesn't give him that. Hopefully with an addition or two in there we can address that at earliest opportunity. If we do he will go from strength to strength.

Back