Does Hagi fit our style?

I might be able to tell you if I could work out what our ‘style’ is.

As of the last month it looks like 11 blokes who have never met each other prior to taking to the pitch.

Donning my finest Football Manager hat, I think we only need to reshuffle the front 3. Hagi has to play as a central No 10, particularly against the majority of the teams in the league. If we have 2 up front occupying their centre halves allows Hagi more time and space to create opportunities. He played in there for the creation of Arfields goal against Livi and was screaming for the ball long before he eventually got it. He’s got a real football brain and we need to use it. The rest of the teams shape is similar to what we have now with width coming from the fullbacks and still having the midfield 3. I don’t have a place for Kent in this setup so maybe Kent and Hagi can’t play in the same team?

There is a reason why we are totally different in Europe. Our play and players suit it very well and it shows in a European game. Coming up against 11 behind the ball being booted around has proven to be hard for the gaffer to adjust to. I do believe though that he will get the balance right.

His best moments in a rangers shirt seem tohave come when kamberi has come on making more of a 2 upfront with Hagi more centrally behind them. Im torn because I think we will see the best of him in the 10 role and the best of us with 2 up top. To make that work we've either got to play 3412 or a 442 diamond

Wide 10s is just invented tosh. We are shoehorning players into the team. That's either stubborn tactics or poor squad planning
We supposedly had a squad with at least 2 players for every role, and those roles seemed to include out and out wingers judging by the signing of Jones and Barker and even Kent.

The management have come up with a formation that doesn’t suit the players we have, and we are shoehorning players in. The formation worked around 11 players all on their game. When one is injured or not on form, the whole thing unravels but the problem is we don’t change it. The 2 upfront shows there is a Plan B, and it has been wildly successful (5 goals unanswered) but for some reason they are suckers for this philosophy.

It reminds me of a Sunday league team I used to play for and the manager was going through his badges and had to pick a formation and show his progress etc for the course. He had us playing 3-5-2, something van Gaal couldn’t get Man Utd’s athletes to master, what chance did we have? It’s as if Gerrard has his “thing” that he is working on, and doesn’t want to rip it up and go with something unsexy that might work.

For a young guy new to the team/league he has shown a willingness to take the ball and a tackle under pressure. Hardly a luxury player when hes one of the few not passing the buck

Very early days. I hope he stays and does well, I really do. But he’s going to be a target for the thugs of the league who can’t play football and dish out scheme bootings to creative players. I hope he has the heart for it.

more to the point, maybe its time rangers suit young Hagi's style because he has it in his locker to be the player to build a team around whatever that formation is i dont know but its up to the management to find a way to use Hagi and Kent to get the best out of them

Once Barisic is fit, we are so well set up for a 3-4-1-2.

Tav and Barisic as wing backs
Hagi in the hole.

Will need Kent to be dropped ( think he needs a break anyway)

Surely the fact we drew with Motherwell playing a back Three 18 months ago is not the thing stopping Gerrard from trying it?

Struggled to 2 nil win against stranraer, one nil against St mirren, then lost 2 1 to hearts before signing him, got around 10 to 15 minutes against Aberdeen in nil nil draw a day after signing. Issues started before he came in, and had we converted more of the chances he has created would be in better position right now. Kent being on a poor run and Alfie going from goals disallowed in poor performances to missing chances in better performances are much bigger issues in forward areas, and defense giving up so many cheap goals is making things seems worse

Our style hasn't been distinguishable since 2020 started. It's slow and full of individual errors. It was happening before Hagi arrived.

If not for him, we've dropped more points against Hibs are are out of Europe in likely embarrassing fashion.

Most of his day was spent close to the right touchline. It's wasting a brilliant talent.

I think I get you OP.
Some are saying we don’t play him in the correct areas, which may be right...
But actually our formation was perfect before we signed him.
Is he defensively hurting the midfield?
Like it or not, our 433 turns in to a 451 when we don’t have the ball (or should) but is Hagi defensively aware?

Obv add in that Alfie’s stopped scoring and we’ve flicked from Katic to George to Katic again whilst losing silly goals...

Back