Does Jason Holt have any future with us?

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
A player who looked terrific in his first season but created little for us in the top league. Now seems to be surplus given not even a sub lately.
I do remember him playing a few times under Pedro towards the end of last season as a defensive midfielder and having a couple of good performances there.
Quite a few are calling for Rossiter beside Jack as our defensive screen when the vermin visit Ibrox in a fortnight. Rossiter should be the better option, an England under 21 captain who has played in the EPL. But he hasn't played much in a year, probably is no more match fit than Holt, and has no experience of the fixture when we already will have many playing in it for the first time.

Is Holt a candidate for the role or has his chance gone and simply not good enough?

I'd forgot all about him to be honest. Surprised we didn't ship him out during the window. Could be useful to have in an injury crisis.

I would be surprised if we seen Holt play for us again. Injury crisis would be the only way he would get back in the team imo

Pedro seemed to think a lot of him last year-I remember an interview with glowing praise.

Maybe the additions have just knocked him down the pecking order which you'd expect.

For 65k and (hopefully) not an obscene wage I think we could do worse than have him as squad filler-certainly seems to be a good pro.

I think Holt was the guy who was supposed to be going back to Hearts as a make weight in the Jamie Walker deal but I think Hearts changed their mind and asked for Danny Wilson instead.

If you're relying on Jason Holt, you've no aspirations of winning the league.

He's a decent player and will do a turn for anither SPL team probably but it's time to say thanks and best wishes

No way does Holt have a future with us. Pedro has kept him around because he trys hard but miles away from the quality required.

A player who looked terrific in his first season but created little for us in the top league. Now seems to be surplus given not even a sub lately.
I do remember him playing a few times under Pedro towards the end of last season as a defensive midfielder and having a couple of good performances there.
Quite a few are calling for Rossiter beside Jack as our defensive screen when the vermin visit Ibrox in a fortnight. Rossiter should be the better option, an England under 21 captain who has played in the EPL. But he hasn't played much in a year, probably is no more match fit than Holt, and has no experience of the fixture when we already will have many playing in it for the first time.

Is Holt a candidate for the role or has his chance gone and simply not good enough?

Can't see it. Looked out of his depth last season. Honest wee trier but limited.

Maybe cup games and a few league games on bench. Dont see him getting a run in the team unless we have loads of injuries.

Not really. He offers very little apart from effort which is a shame as he seems to be a good guy but no goals or assists and running about a bit doesn't really cut it.

Wee Holty would be described by as Ally McCoist as someone who is "good to have about the place".

In other words he works hard irrespective of whether he is selected to play or not and doesn't give the manager any headaches with his attitude.

Busy wee player, but sadly has very little end product.

Will do well at a Partick Thistle or the likes and I wish him well.

I like Holt but I can't see him getting back in the team unless we have a rash of injuries and suspensions.

He'll probably go in January and he'll go with my best wishes. Did a job in the championship but that's about his level. Would maybe do well at a Dundee or Ross County.

Not the worst, a bargain, done his bit, could still do it in an emergency. I actually liked him.
Wish him well when he goes, but until then no problem with him.

Dont see a future for him in our first 11 now and expect he'll make way in January or next summer. A good pro but little chance of a first team jersey now. We've no time to waste or sentiment to carry as we must look to improve the side window after window now to get us back to the summit.

He'll go at the first opportunity for either him or the Club.

Before then he might get some game time of there are injuries/suspensions

I would be surprised if we seen Holt play for us again. Injury crisis would be the only way he would get back in the team imo
It won't need a crisis mate as we are thin on the ground as it is, I think he could do a great job as a full back if trained right.

I thought Holt and Halliday would slip down the pecking order but still manage to keep places within the first team squad. Thought they would be decent with better players around them.

That is why i am an offshore bear and not a football manager, how wrong i was.

Suspensions and injuries will probably see him make a few appearances, but I wouldn't be surprised if another transfer window saw him replaced.

I like him. Gives his all, and you can't ask for much more from any player. I'd like to think being surrounded by better players would allow him to improve as I'd like to keep him.

Busy wee player, but sadly has very little end product.

Will do well at a Partick Thistle or the likes and I wish him well.
Would do well for any other club in spl, even the likes of Aberdeen, the weight of the jersey on his shoulders obviously proved too much as it did with others that have now left the club

It won't need a crisis mate as we are thin on the ground as it is, I think he could do a great job as a full back if trained right.
Not so sure can't question his work rate and determination but he is powder puff. I don't have anything against the guy but better quality is required his time is up IMO.

Hard to working an a great attitude.
I just don't think he has the ability to go to with it.

Other than a good attitude and being a hard worker, he's got very few positive attributes, if any.

He doesn't score, rarely assists.
He will never dictate, boss or control a game. He doesn't protect the back four and has no attacking attributes. His positional sense just isn't there. His passing is a hit or a miss and he's absolutely powder puff in the tackle.

Pedro Caixinha probably thought enough was enough after watching him fail to make a tackle in two matches against the bheggars along with bottling a challenge at Ibrox against Hearts in which they scored right after.

An honest trier who is simply not good enough.

Would do well for any other club in spl, even the likes of Aberdeen, the weight of the jersey on his shoulders obviously proved too much as it did with others that have now left the club
Nah, dont think that for a minute.

He is an honest trier, he hasn't crapped out the challenge of playing for Rangers. He just isn't good enough.

Unless we have a MAJOR injury crisis I don't recon we'll see him again but he'll go with my thanks and best wishes !

I feel for Holt. He's a good player and in the right system will be a key player, whether that's for us or someone else I don't know but a 4-4-2 doesn't suit him and maybe the weight of expectation and level of demands at Rangers are just too much for him.

I still say he was a bargain though and if he can find an interested buyer we should still expect to make a profit on him.

Sadly for the lad, no I don't think so. We appear to be in a better place now and other than early rounds in the Scottish cup, I don't see where he's going to get much game time. Holt is one I wish all the best too if he were to move on as he always gives 100%.

Not so sure can't question his work rate and determination but he is powder puff. I don't have anything against the guy but better quality is required his time is up IMO.
He is under contract until end of 18/19 I'm sure so he won't walk. To be a modern fullback you can get away with being powderpuff as long as your quick and can tackle , he can do both although not crunching tackles he can't, he can play a few positions and will be a good bit player for us this season until Pedro can bring in his next batch of players to upgrade our squad.

In my opinion the wee man played well above his price tag by a long, long way and when he goes he will be very fondly remembered.

That he wasn't blessed with a talent to match his workrate is no disgrace and he more than did his bit when we needed it. I really like the wee guy so maybe I'm biased.

I don't see him having much of a future with us, as he must be about 6th or 7th in the pecking order now. But you never know..

No, I genuinely thought he would have been part of the deal that brought Walker to us.

Probably not, but if he's prepared to sit it out, he may make a few cup appearances when the first team regulars are being rested, or if injuries start to take their toll. A European campaign would have helped his cause, but hey-ho, that's the way it goes. His lack of game time not so much reflects his abilities, moreso our greater aspirations.

Very much a backup player now. Can't see him remaining with us much longer TBH

I hope he has,always liked his work rate.

Back