Does the summer rebuild feel a little easier now?

Brilliant to get Cantwell & Raskin in the door in January. They are players who will walk into the first 11, signed long term deals and are a good age to improve further.

We need to make sure we have similar signings in the summer and hopefully we can get Kent a new deal.

My only worry is we end up giving other players new deals. For me only Kent should get one and maybe Morelos depending on what happens now to the summer.

Jack
Arfield
Helander
Mcgregor
Mclauglin
Davis
Roofe

Most of the above are out of contract and we should allow them to leave and Roofe we need to somehow get off the books.

maybe i can word that better. Feels like a guy the manager is excited about and fits the profile of what he was after at the start of the window. As opposed to for example GVB this time last year when Ramsey suddenly appears, which had the feel of a deadline day " we've been offered him do ye fancy it"
I think if raskin is successful then he will go down as a beale signing by a lot of people.

If he doesn’t succeed it will be called out as ‘another ross wilson failure’.

To reply to the OP yes its easier. We know what Beale wants, Keeper, CH and Striker, we near enough know who we are losing for definite.

I think that the manager and Wilson have planned this window and the summer to make the needed changes. Hence walking away from a couple of players in this window.

I do think the likes of Jack and Arfield will be here, but not starters, if they are not we need to sign 4 homegrown/nation trained players. Though some of the younger players we have may be able to take these slots. I said 4 as we will lose McGregor and I think we are already one down this season IIRC. For each of these slots we dont have filled we lose one player from the euro squad.

In my opinion we're not a huge way off being able to shut the gap.

We need a goalkeeper right winger and striker. I think we'd benefit from an extra centre half. If Kent goes we're needing a replacement there. Otherwise it's options who help increase competition in my opinion.

It's a tough job as we need to get quality in but it's not desperate times for me.

It is a welcome change in policy to see a couple of first team players join in a January window (assuming no further business, ofc) rather than panic buys and loans. It has been clear since the season opened, and probably for longer, that the squad needed surgery but my thinking on the summer has changed from being almost overwhelmed by the scale of changes needed to being quietly optimistic that it is actually only some tweaking needed now.

While it is only 2 players, when you add in the injured guys returning (those likely to stay fit) suddenly it appears we have a core group of younger, hungrier players that need a few more, rather than a squad needing to be ripped up and totally replaced. The majority of the players likely to leave are already replaced and in truth, Kent and a striker are now the two concerns. If we can replace both in the summer, or if Kent signs back on just a striker, we are maybe now only looking at a goalkeeper and centre half to have us in a really strong place squad wise. Further additions in midfield would be welcome, but the overall picture looks far better than it did.

Do we still think that wholesale changes will be needed or do people agree that a summer seeing 2-3 key signings would actually get us right back on track?

Not really. We could still be looking for replacements for the following players in the summer

Morelos
Kent
McGregor
Helander
Jack

That’s pretty much what could be considered positions vital to the spine of the first eleven needing replaced.

That’s not going to be easy.

As much as I have been a fan I think the time is up for Alfie…unless there is a remarkable turnaround between now and the end of the season. Kinda hoping he rams this down my throat.

Really hope we can keep hold of Kent now. Beale has him playing again.

Alfie, thanks for everything and best wishes.

Brilliant to get Cantwell & Raskin in the door in January. They are players who will walk into the first 11, signed long term deals and are a good age to improve further.

We need to make sure we have similar signings in the summer and hopefully we can get Kent a new deal.

My only worry is we end up giving other players new deals. For me only Kent should get one and maybe Morelos depending on what happens now to the summer.

Jack
Arfield
Helander
Mcgregor
Mclauglin
Davis
Roofe

Most of the above are out of contract and we should allow them to leave and Roofe we need to somehow get off the books.

Of your list, think jack stays & JM as no 2.

Arfield, Davis, mcgregor & helander all go.

Roofe and borna with 12 months left possibly go if offers received, can’t see roofe being renewed?

Kamara may still want to go too.

So we need

Gk x 1 at least
Cb - could be a back up type player
Cm
Rm/rw
Striker

All as first picks

Then replace other departures too, eg if Kent goes or bids for the above mentioned.

I’d be open to Wright going too and give Matondo a hug more time with Beale.

Feel he’s very sakala likenin that he just needs games consistently to show his worth - basically Gio hasn’t helped him

It is a welcome change in policy to see a couple of first team players join in a January window (assuming no further business, ofc) rather than panic buys and loans. It has been clear since the season opened, and probably for longer, that the squad needed surgery but my thinking on the summer has changed from being almost overwhelmed by the scale of changes needed to being quietly optimistic that it is actually only some tweaking needed now.

While it is only 2 players, when you add in the injured guys returning (those likely to stay fit) suddenly it appears we have a core group of younger, hungrier players that need a few more, rather than a squad needing to be ripped up and totally replaced. The majority of the players likely to leave are already replaced and in truth, Kent and a striker are now the two concerns. If we can replace both in the summer, or if Kent signs back on just a striker, we are maybe now only looking at a goalkeeper and centre half to have us in a really strong place squad wise. Further additions in midfield would be welcome, but the overall picture looks far better than it did.

Do we still think that wholesale changes will be needed or do people agree that a summer seeing 2-3 key signings would actually get us right back on track?
Wholesale changes mate

It does make the summer easier in that we got to younger 1st team players in now, so those positions don't need attention.

As things stand, absolute priority is a number 1 and a number 9. If Kent leaves then another forward.

I still think central midfield needs some more quality and Barisic needs replaced with a younger more dynamic left back.

I still think we need at least 4 guaranteed first team players, and that’s if we keep Morelos and Kent

Goalkeeper
Centre back
Defensive mid (an upgrade to Ryan Jack)
Right winger (I don’t see Cantwell/Tillman/Lawrence as actual wingers)

Then I think we need proper competition for Morelos as I don’t believe Colak offer enough to the team overall.

Still not seen enough of Yilmaz to know if he’ll be a long term first choice or not either

Yes long term ie next season is what Beale will be aiming at and to win back the title.

He will want both cups this season of course but it’s all about that title get it taken from separate entity fc and being Champions of Scotland again.

Tbh no I don't think it does.

We didn't do enough in this window in my opinion. When we are trying to rebuild a squad, we can't afford to have windows where only 2 players come in when you take into consideration what we will potentially lose in the summer.

I'm of the opinion that it has made things a little easier. The arrival of Michael Beale appears to have brought a sharper focus to recruitment and a more targeted approach to signing the right type of players.

With any luck, the likes of Lawrence, Yilmaz, Hagi and Souttar will all get a better crack at it next season. That's 4 players that have barely featured this season, that you would expect will all feature more heavily in the next campaign.

Beale has been fairly upfront about what he thinks we need to add in the summer. A goalkeeper and a new striker seem to be high priority targets, rightly so. Then you have to consider replacing players who will leave, I'm hopeful that Kent and Tillman will both stay. Beale has also claimed recently to want another centre back and another midfielder in. Right away that's 4 signings, 5 if you include Tillman. I think we'll probably freshen up the squad in quite a big way, but I also think we'll strip away some of the unnecessary weight we are carrying in terms of numbers. We've got a massive wage bill, but due to injury and players aging, it's not being utilised in the best way. Hopefully we readdress that in the summer.

I feel more confident about it. Beale & Wilson appear to work well together with the former being a strong influence.

We got quality this window. I expect similar targeting of players in preparation for the Summer.

If we do this right, we’ll have a strong foundation for next season.

A lot to do in the summer.

Quite a few out of contract: McGregor, Morelos, Helander, Arfield, Jack, Davis and Kent

Quite a few with 1 year left which we will need to extend or move on if we want anything for them: Barisic, McLaughlin, Roofe and Lundstram

We need a first choice keeper, striker, RW and pay for Tillman.

Beale wants another centre back. We will need some midfield options, possibly a starter.

I don't see where a big sale is coming from to fund it so hopefully we do well on bosmans or in some of the cheaper markets.

If the two that come in can hit the ground running and prove to be genuine first team starters it is a very large part of it done. With Lawrence and Hagi to come back midfield is well covered.
At the back clearly a goalkeeper is a priority and I have a feeling if this is not actually already done it is a good way down the road and that's why no attempt was made to sign one this window
We probably need a cover centre back. I don't share the reservations of others regarding Davies.
Apart from that need to add a striker whether Morelos goes or stays and again it seems we have one lined up.
Squad as it stands is a bit heavy in terms of numbers and Kent aside I wouldn't be moving any mountains to hang on to any of the out of contract players but I would expect Jack and Arfield to re-sign,. However in these cases I see the club's hand as fairly strong as no Scottish club will match an offer from Rangers and I sense neither player is particularly keen on leaving Scotland.
If we could shift some of the injury prone / bench fillers for reasonable amounts then so much the better

I'm optimistic that this window has moved us on a good bit, but it all depends on how the next few months shake out. So many variables that could either tilt us towards being in a decent position going into the window, or leave us with a lot of work to do. We'll be in a good position if:

Defence: Yilmaz returns and impresses, Tav's form recovers, Devine continues to impress in cameos, Davies and Goldson's partnership settles into a real spine, Souttar stays fit and competes

Midfield: Raskin is the player we hope he can be, Tillman's growth continues, Hagi and Lawrence return strong, Lundstram gets a rest, shakes off injury and gets back to the form of the Europa run

Attack: Kent stays and continues to progress, Colak gets fit and hits form again, Cantwell impresses, Sakala's form doesn't dip

That's just the players I think will be here and can be core players next season. I think Kamara and Morelos will be away, but if they stay and get back to their best, they could also contribute.

If things do go in the right direction, we'll be set up well for the summer window. There will still be important work to do - we would obviously need a goalkeeper and no. 9, and I would also feel better if we brought in another central defender and central midfielder. But it now feels like we might have brought in two players who can be key players as part of a much stronger squad going into next season.

Yes it’s a lot easier. If Kent and Morelos stay then we probably would get away with a keeper and a RW. Still not sure about back up for Tav but hopefully Devine will be good enough to cover at this point.
I think we will need someone to replace Arfield and Davis as I don’t think they will be here next season.

Really hope we can keep hold of Kent now. Beale has him playing again.

Alfie, thanks for everything and best wishes
Big decision for him. He'll know Aribo went on to earn £70k a week in the EPL... But the downside is he's playing for a team sitting dead last and could be championship bound.

The investment in positions and personnel still looks really disjointed. We spent a lot of cash on players lacking experience
Which players are you referring to? The one who’s played in the EPL, or the one with 3 years in the Belgium top division?

It’s literally our player trading model to buy young enough to sell on for a profit, and supplement the team with older pro’s like Goldson and Tav.

Still a long way to go with the rebuild, albeit Cantwell & Raskin are very welcome additions. I still feel we won’t be in the best position until a year’s time.

This summer we really need:
A quality number one
A quality number nine
A more dominant central defender
A right sided attacking solution

Summer is huge, but January 2024 will be too as there are big questions marks:
Tav’s form
Barisic staying on form or is Ridvan good enough?
Which of the long term injured have come back strong or good enough?
Is Lundstram back to his best?

I think we need the top four targets above to be be quality starters, then weight up what we ship out and who is no longer good enough or reliable.

Deadwood & driftwood must be moved on in a ruthless manner.

I'm of the opinion that it has made things a little easier. The arrival of Michael Beale appears to have brought a sharper focus to recruitment and a more targeted approach to signing the right type of players.

With any luck, the likes of Lawrence, Yilmaz, Hagi and Souttar will all get a better crack at it next season. That's 4 players that have barely featured this season, that you would expect will all feature more heavily in the next campaign.

Beale has been fairly upfront about what he thinks we need to add in the summer. A goalkeeper and a new striker seem to be high priority targets, rightly so. Then you have to consider replacing players who will leave, I'm hopeful that Kent and Tillman will both stay. Beale has also claimed recently to want another centre back and another midfielder in. Right away that's 4 signings, 5 if you include Tillman. I think we'll probably freshen up the squad in quite a big way, but I also think we'll strip away some of the unnecessary weight we are carrying in terms of numbers. We've got a massive wage bill, but due to injury and players aging, it's not being utilised in the best way. Hopefully we readdress that in the summer.
and close thread.

Absolutely not.

In case anyone is in a forgetful frame of mind, this present lot of ours are not only nine points behind but averaging a goal a game less in GD.
We are on a level footing with them since beale came in. With some key players missing who are coming back and with two new signings just arrived.

Clearly a goalkeeper is needed.

Beyond that, we are probably replacing players that leave. Either sold or out of contract. Which means striker and left wing could be a priority.

Disappointed a keeper wasn’t signed on loan for the remainder of the season at the very least (feels a bit like they’re writing this one off when there’s still things to play for) but I think Cantwell is a brilliant signing so I’m happy with that.

Plenty to do in the summer but a few in and returning players like Lawrence and Hagi will make us a really good side with Beale.

I think it all depends on the Kent situation. I think Jack will be given a 2 year deal, Tillman signed and we will lose Morelos so leaves us needing min.
2x GKs
1x LCB
2x CF

Thats if Kent stays. I think the squad is actually bloated right now but with Davis, Arfield, McGregor, Helander, Morelos and Sands hopefully moving on. I would also like to see McLaughlin released.

I think it all depends on the Kent situation. I think Jack will be given a 2 year deal, Tillman signed and we will lose Morelos so leaves us needing min.
2x GKs
1x LCB
2x CF

Thats if Kent stays. I think the squad is actually bloated right now but with Davis, Arfield, McGregor, Helander, Morelos and Sands hopefully moving on. I would also like to see McLaughlin released.
Let’s hope McCrorie takes his chance when fit, otherwise McLaughlin will definitely be kept on as no.2
Cannot see us splashing out on 2 GKs

Still a big job in the summer, but this window hopefully shows that Beale knows what he wants and isn't bringing in numbers for the sake of it, which bodes well.

Optimistic following this window. Coupled with players coming back from injury, squad a lot stronger. I think the chat of a total rebuild was a bit overhyped, few good additions in the summer and we will be in a good place

A little. There is still upgrades required to several areas

Another Centre mid and striker the priority, new numbers 1 and probably 2 more Centre halfs also.

We want to usher out guys like Jack and Lundstram from 1st picks to squad players, we need upgrades on them this summer.

Morelos, parting of the ways.

GK, absolutely necessary, and a big call on a vital position. I'm happy with RM as a back up. JM I'd keep for #3 if wages low enough.

Souttar will hopefully compete with Davies, plus another CB for competition / cover.
Yilmaz I have high hopes for.

Glen Kamara is an absolute baller (my MOTM from Saturday). But I'm not sure his heart is still in it.

Jack (I'd extend his contract).
Lundstram (needs a rest but there's a player in there).
Raskin
1 more good enough to start.

Cantwell, Hagi, Lawrence, Tillman, Lowry, Kent (I'd offer a new deal).

Morelos, I love the mad basta4d, but perhaps it's time to go.
Colak.
A new #9.
Roofe, I'd put in place an option of 1 year extension to prove his fitness.

A new RW.

Arfield, squad player for injury cover.
Same for Wright and Sakala, although they'd have to go some to start ahead of those above.

Goodbye ;
McGregor
Davis
Sands
Helander

So, that summarises as a new

GK
CH
CM
RW,

Easy.

Last edited:
We need a left back. Remains to be seen if Yilmaz is the player we need and we don't have any cover. Borna should be allowed to leave.

2x GKs
1x LCB
2x CF

A 2 year deal for Jack?! Hope not mate

I was hoping for one or two more signings but we are where we are.

I'm still not happy that our defence seems to be poor but hopefully we can sort that out in training.

Our backline including a keeper needs to be addressed in the summer.

Make no mistakes we’ve got a massive job on in the summer to make this team competitive.

It’s more than 2-3 needed.

We’ve got 9 out of contract and I think we should really only be keeping a couple of those.

Beyond that I think we need to be moving on from the likes of Roofe and Matondo for obviously different reasons and I could see us needing to sell Kamara to help fund some of the incomings.

I agree but I’m sure it will be sorted in summer
A keeper is also the easiest to bed in. No need to learn the style of play of others or tactics, positions etc. I agree with OP that the 2 signings appear to be an improvement on current 1st team and the summer therefore looks more manageable. I was concerned about number that would need to come in at one time but less so now.

The Kent situation is my main worry

He is integral to how we want to play.

A few quid needed to replace him.

Which players are you referring to? The one who’s played in the EPL, or the one with 3 years in the Belgium top division?

It’s literally our player trading model to buy young enough to sell on for a profit, and supplement the team with older pro’s like Goldson and Tav.
I clarified I was talking about Gio’s signings. Beale’s signings haven’t came with the same fees.
Rabbie M wasn’t cheap and was on something of a career decline-Davies hadn’t played a lot.
Yilmaz had a very solid but shot pedigree and I get the debate about him being a longer term prospect but he was serious money and the counter debate is whether he is the second coming as many state on here or a player who wasn’t thoroughly scouted for being to adapt to life at Rangers.

These signings and the injured ones are a problem in the rebuild. Davies has settled into the team whether he will retain his spot or perform versus the Beggars and in Europe is up for debate

Some of the signings people were hoping for in one window was fantasy land stuff, especially in January. I think it's a good start. Two players you expect to be regular starters is fair enough. Would have liked a keeper but no point getting yet another short term one if we couldn't get the target we wanted for whatever reason.

McLaughlin

Tav Goldson Davies Yilmaz

Raskin Lundstram

Sakala Cantwell Lawrence

Colak

New GK

Tav Goldson Davies Yilmaz

Raskin New CM

New RF Cantwell Kent

New ST
I dont see how we fit Cantwell, Lawrence and maybe Kent & Tillman in the same side. Does Beale not see Tillman as an 8 going forward? I’d say we need a minimum of 4 starters in the summer. I can see us keeping Tillman, he’s looked good since Beale came in and he’ll develop him nicely.

Back