Does this group of players have what it takes to win on the 29th?

%^*& being in the trenches with you lot.
What do you actually mean by that? If everyone says we will win it will make a difference? The ones you should be concerned about in the trenches are the players, many of whom did not have the heart for battle last night, although in 2 previous games they did.
Come the 29th mate you can be assured that the fans will be up for it and won't let the team down, I just hope the reverse is true.

If we,d beaten Aberdeen
Last night .I guarantee that the answers to the question would have been different.
100% correct, we seen it after the Spartak game, we would never do anything in the league etc etc and we were p1sh and posters losing their shit, a few weeks later we are top of the league and we have threads with headings such as "can only the refs stop us now ?" its complete madness.

They will be favourites but its a game of football and anything can happen, i am more worried about Dundee on Sunday for now.

If course in one off matches anything can happen. That said on probability I'm a solid no. Nothing in our previous matches suggest to me any midfield set up that won't get over run. Last night was a sober reflection of how many passengers we still carry.

Of course it's possible but is it likely?
The only people who must be completely objective are the bookies. When their odds come out it will be an accurate assesment of our chances. I reckon at this time (a lot of games before the 29th) we are around 5/2, which puts our chances in perspective. 5/2 chances and bigger win every day but a hell of a lot more lose.

We have to stop this. Every time we win we're going to win the league. Every time there's a setback we're not good enough to win the league. The truth is somewhere in the middle. We are in a good position and challenging. Whether we can maintain the challenge will depend on us not losing ground before the shut down and doing some good business in the January window. But remember the 29th is an away game for them - so far they have lost to Killie and Hearts and drawn with St. Mirren Livi and Motherwell. So with Barisic and Kent in the side I see no reason we can't win.

After watching that tonight I’m not feeling too optimistic. Too many go into hiding and the midfield simply isn’t strong enough or good enough to open up a tight defence.

Desperately need players back fit or bring in a couple of quality players in January to make the difference.

I’ve watched rangers teams in the past and watched them play bad but still manage to win ugly. This team seem to find it hard to win ugly.

I think this team could
McGregor
Tav goldson katic halliday
Jack rossiter
Candieas arfield Kent
Lafferty
With morelos, grezda and barisic making an appearance in the second half

Goldson did better being the leader at cb, Katic listened to him
Halliday gets it
Jack gets it
Rossiter with hope is composed and a good passer
Candieas and tav can make it happen
Kent can make it happen
Lafferty gets it and has done it for us before

We definitely need a 'big' player to run the midfield.

I'm not hopeful, but it can be done, if they don't believe that, then we need luck abd/or them to brick it under the pressure at Ibrox and have a bad day at the office.
But I believe that they can with the belief and concentration required

Last edited:
I think this team could
McGregor
Tav goldson barisic halliday
Jack rossiter
Candieas arfield Kent
Lafferty

Halliday gets it
Jack gets it
Kent can make it happen

I'm not hopeful, but it can be done, if they don't believe that, then we need luck abd/or them to brick it under the pressure at Ibrox and have a bad day at the office.
So you’d play our strongest left back at centre half and have our top scorer on the bench?

That is the oddest team selection I will ever see for playing them

We're capable of beating them, but whether or not we do, is a different matter.

The midfield is far weaker than that mobs and we lack any really quality in there.

But, we've shown in Europe that we can punch above our weight, so anything is possible

I think this team could
McGregor
Tav goldson barisic halliday
Jack rossiter
Candieas arfield Kent
Lafferty

Halliday gets it
Jack gets it
Kent can make it happen

Is that team a typo?

Who knows. They had no answer to a poor aberdeen team hitting constant long balls and niggly fouls to slow the game down.

If you accept for a moment they have a better side than us it doesn't mean we can't win.
If Aberdeen had rocked up last night and played us in an adventurous open style befitting of a side with their history (sic) we would have dubbed them.

Celtic have lost to worse than us this season, its about how we set up and what it means to the players.

Its not about going out to prove we are a better footy team, just f%%%%king win.

Of course we can beat them but we have to be at our very best, last night alot of the player's went into their shell they looked scared, and started passing the buck,, if they do that against them, we won't win,, show the determination we showed in Europe then we have a chance

The difference is jack and coulibaly are good when we are playing in games that we will be under the cosh and have less of the ball. ( Which we all know will happen during the old firm game). In terms of having to break them down, that will also be vastly different to last night as they will not be sitting in against us. There will be plenty of space and with the pace we have on the counter attack we can easily catch them out.

There is no doubt in my mind that we can beat them.

Okay we,'re all in a downer after last night and rightly so.buthonestly to many surrender monkeys on this thread.

If wee can sort the defence out we might have a chance.
Other than that if you can’t be motivated to beat Abergreen from top of the table position forget it.

After watching that tonight I’m not feeling too optimistic. Too many go into hiding and the midfield simply isn’t strong enough or good enough to open up a tight defence.

Desperately need players back fit or bring in a couple of quality players in January to make the difference.

I’ve watched rangers teams in the past and watched them play bad but still manage to win ugly. This team seem to find it hard to win ugly.
Hope I'm wrong but no the can't,we lack midfielder with guile to open up a defence...The mhankies will be right up for it they always are

So you’d play our strongest left back at centre half and have our top scorer on the bench?

Just as well I'm not the manager and youre not the chairman then.
It's my pick and I think we'd have a chance
Is that team a typo?
Ha, yes it is!!!
Katic not barisic, amended it,
Took two of you to wake me up

Yes id have morelos on the bench,
I think there's a good chance he'd get sent off and believe lafferty would cope better with the pressure.

They'll be up for it and will need a fright early on to curtail the over-confidence.

If we're at our best and can get at their defence, I feel we will get something from the game.

Not too confident of victory, but it must be at the forefront of players minds going into the game.

Let facking do the cants!!!

Sadly, No. Simply not good enough yet. We make too many mistakes and we constantly give the ball away when not under pressure. It's a recurring fucking nightmare.

Pick the right team and of course we can beat them.

We may be an average Rangers side at the moment, that will improve as the season progresses- but for me they are only a slightly bettter than average tim team.

Confidence is a big factor - they have it with dominating for years and this gives them belief, but sooner or later we will dump them. I really believe that will be on the 29th

Yes, but we need the midfield to seriously up their game.

Not too many score more than one v us, but we need that guile in close games

We will need the rub of the green and then some. As others have said, midfield is woefully short of theirs. The most important area of the pitch.

I'm hoping rossiter can help.

The 29th will be more about heart than ability. If we fight like lionhearts and get in their faces, then anything is possible. SG has to pick a team of lionhearts, which means dropping Ejaria and Coulibaly, unless the latter dramatically improves over the course of the next couple of weeks.

The 29th will be more about heart than ability. If we fight like lionhearts and get in their faces, then anything is possible. SG has to pick a team of lionhearts, which means dropping Ejaria and Coulibaly, unless the latter dramatically improves over the course of the next couple of weeks.
And get a break or two, normally in any sport with two relatively close rivals at least one of the matches will have gone the other way over a dozen matches.

Not confident in all honesty their midfield will tear us a new arsehole if they turn up.

Big challenges to overcome before the 29th!

Last edited:
Tough ask

There weakness is Lustig and to an extent Tierney.

If we can target there right (our left) with a fit and firing Kent and Barasic we will get some joy.

The midfield worries me and always has - they have goals (Rogic / Forrest / Christie / McGregor / Sinclair / Thumb and Eduardo) all more than capable of scoring on the day

Arguably we have Morelos - we don’t have much creation / goals from our midfield and that’s our biggest problem.

Celtic have been turned over by worse teams than us this season.

If our players are sparking we can definitely get a result. We need to keep the head and keep 11 men on the park for a start.

If we don’t win v Dundee tomorrow you can forget the league .

Forget all manner of excuses as well if there are any,Dundee are rotten ,if players go there tomorrow and do a hiding act again then all this “character” stuff goes out the window for me ,a defeat tomorrow would be unbelievably bad

I think this team could
McGregor
Tav goldson katic halliday
Jack rossiter
Candieas arfield Kent
Lafferty

Halliday gets it
Jack gets it
Kent can make it happen

You say jack and halliday get it even though they have been beaten comfortably by them before? Halliday against nae necks pace is the stuff of nightmares as was shown in the last game of last season and jack wouldnt even make that mobs bench in all honesty. We need better midfielders to compete with them.

Back