Domestic season over in February

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would sacking Gerrard genuinely have done for us? An alright first year with clear progress from the 17/18 season. Second season although the January collapse was terrible we were extremely unlucky to go that season trophyless and who knows what could’ve happened if the league never got stopped.

Sacking him would’ve genuinely got us nowhere and they would be celebrating 10 most likely. I think I was one wanting him to be sacked at one point but I quickly calmed down and was willing to give him another season.

"Seriously, where do we go from here? How can any manager survive that? How can anyone say this is progress?"

F*cking hell haha. There was valid reasons to be raging last season but "no progress"?

Amazing to look back at times on here that claimed there had been no progress under Gerrard. The guy that took over from Murty and Pedro to skelp the mentally challengeds, string wins together and achieve massive, massive leaps in Europe. Like even taking into account the league form falling away the past two seasons how could you argue there had been no progress.

Season over in February again this time!!!

It was mad to see posters on here who had the staunchest of defences for Pedro who then wanted Gerrard chased. What a mad time. We had someone posting the other week slating the team for not scoring last-minute winners. :D

Last edited:
Being honest, the results after the winter break could have seen him lose his job. We gambled and it's paying off for us at the moment.

Could you imagine it on here If we were behind the scum and also had been pumped out the cup by St mirren.

It would have been the exact same.

We'd all look like arseholes if threads were bumped and I'm saying that as someone who thought Gerrard would get it right but with doubts growing.

Even I lost the plot after the Livingston game this season.

Ach, this is all getting a bit silly.

Given the domestic campaign repeating itself two years in a row, Gerrard faced more than valid concerns about his suitability and future in the job.

It all looks a bit silly now but there were serious calls for him to go on here last season. I'd be more concerned with anyone on here who regarded last season as some kind of success. We were absolutely fcking shite!

By members of the Mavis Reilly Appreciation Society, who have proven to be 100% wrong

Given the domestic campaign repeating itself two years in a row, Gerrard faced more than valid concerns about his suitability and future in the job.

It all looks a bit silly now but there were serious calls for him to go on here last season. I'd be more concerned with anyone on here who regarded last season as some kind of success. We were absolutely fcking shite!
The truth, as always, was somewhere in between.
Unfortunately on here, you need to be one extreme or the other.

Gerrard/we would have beaten them on the 14/3/20 and in my opinion it would have been a close fight for the league and whilst I am not saying we would have won it, the gap would have been from 1-6 points which we would have accepted and still be where we are now

By members of the Mavis Reilly Appreciation Society, who have proven to be 100% wrong

That's revisionism. At the end of last season we were defeated by Hamilton at home and went out of the cup to Hearts. There were very real and very valid concerns from a large section of the fans about whether he could turn it around. Absolutely no one thought the improvement could be as big as this. It's unprecedented.

To be fair that Hearts game is 1 of the worst Rangers performances I've been to. So the reactions on top of the swan dive from mid January in the league was to be expected tbh.

One of the haters has to be the Foghorn Leghorn that sits in the East Enclosure. He was the first around me to call for Gerrard to go as “he doesn’t have a clue”.
This guy is loud, but unfortunately only bellows negative push.
Wonder if he’s now giving it big licks about the gaffer, 55, always knew it?

To me, that's exactly how the match day threads feel -- you're in your virtual seat at Ibrox, but you're completely surrounded by bellowing doom and gloom merchants.

Stuff like this is daft. I openly had doubts about Gerrard and there was some good discussion around that subject.

Some people take their status on here a bit too seriously. It's a fans forum, we're emotive. Sometimes we make good points, other times spout a lot of pish.

I care about Rangers winning, not cultivating a reputation on a messageboard for being a 'good poster'.

Stuff like this is daft. I openly had doubts about Gerrard and there was some good discussion around that subject.

Some people take their status on here a bit too seriously. It's a fans forum, we're emotive. Sometimes we make good points, other times spout a lot of pish.

I care about Rangers winning, not cultivating a reputation on a messageboard for being a 'good poster'.
its just having a laugh at the bad past now that we're in a much better position, no harm done mate.

Aye but it’s more fun to kid on that you had no concerns whatsoever after our second domestic collapse in a row.

That's revisionism. At the end of last season we were defeated by Hamilton at home and went out of the cup to Hearts. There were very real and very valid concerns from a large section of the fans about whether he could turn it around. Absolutely no one thought the improvement could be as big as this. It's unprecedented.

There were plenty of naysayers on here that would have been happy to show Gerrard the door -- and they (as has been proven) would have been wrong to do so.

Sliding Doors scenario - had they got their wish, do you imagine we'd be where we are now? I think not.

I wouldn't say we were shite. Prior to new year we had been excellent. However, we were so reliant on goals from Alfredo that when circumstances (his ban) and subsequent loss of form combined, there were no goals from elsewhere and that put pressure on rest of side becuase it was apparent that losing a single goal in any game was more or likely leading to loss of 3 points.

I get it. It wasn't good enough and I was as disappointed as anyone, but we weren't fucking shite as you put it. Shite teams don't get to last 16 of europa league.

We lacked depth in squad and options and were over reliant on goals from one solitary player. The management clearly realised that and set about 1) increasing overall quality of squad 2) tweaking system and Buff's role in side to ensure goals were shared around.

Fair play for bumping this - the domestic season is over in February (unless the bring back the SC)

We were all hurting after the Hearts debacle. I wanted SG to stay as I couldn’t come up with an alternative. Seemed to me we had to give him more time. The European results, in hindsight, was where some of us could see the optimism. And now? He’s managed to transfer European success domestically in the League. Ferguson took 4 years at Man U and established a dynasty. I want the same for us. I can imagine us continuing to dominate at home, but I have a strong suspicion SG might take us to European glory. It will take a few years.

If only we could go back far enough into the archives to dig out threads where some prominent (and currently chortling) posters wanted Walter papped 6 months after a Euro final and 5 months before the beginning of a 3 in a row period of dominance B-D

Anyone who wasn’t questioning Gerrard at that point probably sleeps with a 8x10 glossy of him. We’d made very little progress domestically, that’s a fact. The players crumbled, that’s also a fact. The gaffer made repeat mistakes, another fact. I’m just content I never actually once asked for him to be sacked and was always willing to give him another season. It’s important to realise some of these are posted in the heat of the moment immediately after defeats too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back