Domestic season over in February

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh Gio Loyal remember him.

Was it something along lines of he would hate Rangers fans and never forgive them for chasing Warbuton out haha.

He was a sensible poster outwith the Warbuton obsession wonder if he still posts.
I remember he once went mental and quoted 20 (twenty!) of my previous posts in the one reply because I said Warburton didn't know his best team. :D I half expected the head of Joey Barton to be delivered to my door that day such was his obsession.

At the end of the day we all want to see a winning Rangers team more than anything. I mean except from that guy. He just wanted a ride off Mark Warburton.

One of the haters has to be the Foghorn Leghorn that sits in the East Enclosure. He was the first around me to call for Gerrard to go as “he doesn’t have a clue”.
This guy is loud, but unfortunately only bellows negative push.
Wonder if he’s now giving it big licks about the gaffer, 55, always knew it?
Would that be about J,k,L (seat low 70’s )by any chance

Bollocks, we were a disgrace post new year. We ended up in free fall and going more or less every game feeling like we could drop points. Nothing like a good rewriting of history.

We were unlucky a couple of times and the Kilmarnock defeat was down to bad, shocking, refereeing.

This was compounded by the tims just winning 8 games back to back.
Even if they had dropped a few points it would have still kept us in touching distance.

Our manager and squad were still relatively inexperienced at the time and it's obvious the pressure got to them. That comes with inexperience, unfortunately.

People were too quick to demand it all get burned to the ground and too eager to brand people "happy clappers" for trying to be positive about the season as a whole.

Remember we beat Braga home and away in that same period so we were doing something right.

Of course some just said "Europe is a bonus" but I wonder how much that victory had an influence on this seasons transfer strategy?

Bollocks, we were a disgrace post new year. We ended up in free fall and going more or less every game feeling like we could drop points. Nothing like a good rewriting of history.
It's not rewriting history though, is it. We had virtually our strongest 11 playing game in game out until January and they'd already played more than a full season's worth of equivelant league games by then. Then we hit suspensions (Morelos was the key one) and injuries (Jack, Barisic and Defoe if I remember correctly) at the same time as our top players (you know, the exact same shite guys that've cruised it this season) started running on empty (Davis is done, his legs have gone thread springs to mind).

Was a recipe for disaster as we didn't have quality depth to cope with it and they did. Difference this year, and what Gerrard and Wilson should be congratulated most for, is the recruitment giving us the ability to rotate similar quality players (Roofe, Itten, Hagi, Balogun etc) in and out on an almost weekly basis, keeping them fresh and bringing genuine competition for places for the first time in a decade. We weren't shite, we simply ran out of gas.

Even if they had dropped a few points it would have still kept us in touching distance.

Our manager and squad were still relatively inexperienced at the time and it's obvious the pressure got to them. That comes with inexperience, unfortunately.

People were too quick to demand it all get burned to the ground and too eager to brand people "happy clappers" for trying to be positive about the season as a whole.

Remember we beat Braga home and away in that same period so we were doing something right.

Of course some just said "Europe is a bonus" but I wonder how much that victory had an influence on this seasons transfer strategy?

A lot of valid points I think. Put across quite fairly too which is a nice change of pace here, haha.

I didn't want him gone but I wouldn't have been shocked either if we'd let him go. We had been making steady progress since he came in and narrowly missed out on the league cup with an offside goal and Alfie missing a penalty.

We were a disgrace after the winter break where we'd just came off the back of beating them and were in free fall.

Revisionism is FollowFollow's favourite thing.

It's not rewriting history though, is it. We had virtually our strongest 11 playing game in game out until January and they'd already played more than a full season's worth of equivelant league games by then. Then we hit suspensions (Morelos was the key one) and injuries (Jack, Barisic and Defoe if I remember correctly) at the same time as our top players (you know, the exact same shite guys that've cruised it this season) started running on empty (Davis is done, his legs have gone thread springs to mind).

Was a recipe for disaster as we didn't have quality depth to cope with it and they did. Difference this year, and what Gerrard and Wilson should be congratulated most for, is the recruitment giving us the ability to rotate similar quality players (Roofe, Itten, Hagi, Balogun etc) in and out on an almost weekly basis, keeping them fresh and bringing genuine competition for places for the first time in a decade. We weren't shite, we simply ran out of gas.
DZ, or Nick Nack, whatever his name is now, will never admit he’s wrong.

I can see parallels between Stevie G and Fergies early tenure at Man utd where a significant section of their fans were calling for his head.What apparently saved Fergie was although he wasn't winning trophies,big improvements were being made behind the scenes and their Board could see things were going in the right direction.
Imo Stevie G is on the cusp of a significant trophy run.

The lesson that should be taken is patience and that goes for fans of many clubs.

Man city stuck by pep after a poor show last season, now they're looking good again. Man utd, have shown patience and although they may not be back to where they were, there is improvement and for this reason I dont think klopp will be going anywhere.

Chelsea seem to still be going down this road and from what I see of them, they're going back the way each season.

Celtic had a very big head start on us and it was never going to be an easy turnaround. I was happy to give it another go as I could see improvement, one which put an end to them swatting us aside with ease, home or away, together with the progress in europe.

Each season under gerrard we have got better. Did I think we could win the league this season? Yes, but I never imagined in a million years it would work out like this. In fact if it had been the close run thing I thought it would be, then at least I'd have got to know posters on here in a busy intensive care ward.

That made for interesting reading. It took me a minute of thinking “why has this mick come onto our forum to complain about his side’s awful season” before I noticed the date.

During this season Gerrard said something that a few posters on here could do well to observe. I’ll paraphrase, but it was along the lines of we remain humble when we win and we don’t get too dejected when we lose.

Some of the best sporting leaders are pretty boring in interviews because they have learned that lesson. Think about how Andy Murray sounds in most interviews, and he’s quite emotional compared to some of them.

Some of the reactions to the players who broke the COVID rules have been comparable in over-reaction to the comments at the start of this thread. I’m not saying don’t enjoy the ride, but the rollercoaster doesn’t change just because the people on it are screaming.

No, they wouldn't. Any manager should have been given more than two seasons to turn around what was possibly the worst team in our history.

That's not entirely accurate. Gerrard's aim after his first season was to build on what he had achieved as Rangers manager. Domestically at least, he didn't do that.

There's no shame in acknowledging that - I expect the fans aspiring far better things helped rather than hindered him.

I never wanted Gerrard to go even round about the hearts cup debacle but that was more down to sentimentality and desperately wanting him to succeed. The collapse post Christmas two seasons on the trot was massively concerning and I'd be lying if I said that I had confidence he could get it right third time. How delighted am I to have my doubts proven wrong.

I wasnt on the forum at the time, but i would certainly have shared the frustrations of the OP. For me, i never went as far as wanting rid, because we were clearly making progress.

As i said to a mentally challenged in work at the start of the season. We were 1 or 2 quality additions away from being better than them. I said all of the signs pointed to us having a superior team on our day, but dependency on Alfie was holding us back over a season. We were outplaying them in Europe and in old firms, so the pragmatic answer to why we werent competing was squad depth. I think thats been the case this year. I think Gerrard to his undeniable credit, identified that early and we did strong business early in the summer transfer window and never looked back.

I wouldnt be embarrassed if i was a negative poster on this thread. I would be impressed at the speed the club corrected this issue and if anything, id be absolutely chuffed to bits with the professionalism and competence of those in power at the club. Bright days ahead indeed. Who knows whats possible on our current trajectory.

Bin him, how can anyone seriously say we will win anything with this management team? It’s gutless performance after gutless performance and the buck stops with the manager

Seriously where’s all the lads who had a go at me the other night? Come on in and tell me about the progress, I could really use your persuasion more than ever now, but I feel like I’ve just watched a team of losers pass up our last chance at domestic silverware because they didn’t want it as much as that dreadful Hearts side.
He’s got plenty of experience around him, we are employing 750 of his handpicked back room staff for this very reason.

He doesn’t have it.
Christ you must be a patient person. I wouldn't give him another weeek
The job is too big for him. You dont learn your trade at Rangers ffs.
Stick me on mute. That way you can happy clap and turd polish without having to read any extreme negativity
Just a selection from page 1. A lesson for all, me included. It is always darkest, before the dawn.

The only revisionism going on is people downplaying how bad we were pre-Gerrard. We had secured third spot as our own and went 0-9-2 in OF games including several 4 or 5 nil cuffings. The improvement was night and day. If the fans had forced Gerrard out they would have done permanent, real damage to the club.
Previous regimes are irrelevant considering we improved so much under the gaffer, only for us to regress dramatically. That argument only makes sense if it was the start of his tenure.

Permanent, real damage to the club is hyperbole given you or anyone else has no idea what would have happened.

Thankfully we don't need to wonder.

I was never Gerrard out but bumping this thread is odd, I think people forget just how bad it was.
It was maybe bad, but not as bad as them coming to Ibrox and winning 5-1 with half an hour to go. I really feared that day, that we were going to be humiliated by the end of that game, as if it wasnt bad enough.

Maybe if I was younger then I would be on this thread a year ago, eating humble pie, but I also knew from witnessing the end of celtic domination in the 70s that it doesnt last forever. The only thing I was thankful for then, was not remembering them winning the european cup.

All I ask is we remember that we show patience in future and not dive right in when things are not going well.

Yeah, seems to be some sort of idea going that our second consecutive collapse was all good and part of the plan.

I genuinely don’t see the sense in pulling up old threads.

Because it's funny that folk are completely irrational and won't accept any mitigating circumstances, when it was pointed out in various threads at the time that our squad was thin and we couldn't cope with key players being injured etc they were told to %^*& up and stop being 'happy clappers', when it was obvious it was the truth and nothing except time and patience would fix it.

Ripping it up and starting again was as mental a suggestion back then as it would be now.

It’s soooo good being a bear right now.
I also believe mate that we (as a club) are on the cusp of something very special. It’s our time to rule the roost, but what will be significantly different is the fact that we are consistently performing in Europe on a regular basis. And this my good friend is the overriding vital ingredient. No-one outwith the shores of this biased and bigoted part of the country are interested in which one of the OF wins the league. But admiring glances from further shores that we (Rangers FC) are making an indelible mark on the European scene. Year on year, the manager and his back room staff have navigated some fantastic results and performances home and away and have took some notable scalps along the way. THIS is where I want my team to be. At the top European dinner table and sitting amongst our peers and for them to realise that they don’t really want to be drawn against us....yes we shan’t forget our domestic bread and butter back home. But where the money, prestige and recognition is in the European arena. That’s where I want my team to be consistently.
WATP....

Gerrard/we would have beaten them on the 14/3/20 and in my opinion it would have been a close fight for the league and whilst I am not saying we would have won it, the gap would have been from 1-6 points which we would have accepted and still be where we are now
13 point gap, 1 game in hand, 2 OF games to play. If we improved our defending, we would have coasted it.

I don't think many of us were in a good place after last seasons collapse. Ancient history and I don't see the point in chastising folks when the majority of comments were warranted at the time. We are on the cusp of 55 let's concentrate on enjoying the good times.

Previous regimes are irrelevant considering we improved so much under the gaffer, only for us to regress dramatically. That argument only makes sense if it was the start of his tenure.

Permanent, real damage to the club is hyperbole given you or anyone else has no idea what would have happened.

Thankfully we don't need to wonder.

Someones going to have to decipher this for me. Regardless, you are right: we don't have to wonder and I can keep laughing at the diddies who wanted him binned.

or maybe the respondees just dont have a fucking clue
As long as anyone who said things that were wide of the mark can now see they were wrong then all’s well that ends well mate.

From an outside perspective I never thought Gerrard should have been ‘done’ at that point but I also didn’t see such a spectacular ascendancy back to the throne, also tearing it up in Europe no less.

You could not go as far to say there was a split in the support but for the first time there were certainly a vocal minority that felt Gerrard could not take us any further - FF was and still is representative of a lot of the support.

Season 1 saw such quick progress with EL qualification, beating Celtic twice and narrowing the gap on the field. Coming up short in the cups was poor.

Season 2 promised so much after the flying start but ultimately resulted in a campaign of marginal gains with EL last 16 qualification and the LC final. Losing the league to Celtic by what was looking like a bigger margin than season 1 did have people rightfully questioning the team.

We can all try and indulge in revisionism as much as we want but many wondered where we were headed after that defeat to Hearts in the cup so soon after a league loss at Tynecastle. What Gerrard has done this season has been remarkable and he and his team deserve huge credit at the turnaround in a matter of months.

Just a selection from page 1. A lesson for all, me included. It is always darkest, before the dawn.
I will like the others I’m sure hold my hand up and say he has thankfully proved me wrong. At the time I would have stood by my opinion but it just shows how things can change over time. He has taken us to the top and I will be forever thankful for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back