Dominant CH/Leader

Cambuslang Bear

We are all under the assumption that Morelos is gone in the summer. Hopefully we get at least £20m for him. The point being, with the money coming in we obviously need to replace him. But in my humble opinion we also need a dominant centre half and leader. Goldson and Katic are good centre halves, but we have no real voice at the back. Personally I don't rate Tavernier and he should be nowhere near the captaincy and I think this is one (of many) of our downfalls this year. Obviously this type of player will cost money but we have shown in the past that we can pick up a right good defender without paying a massive fee. For me it would make a huge difference and might even encourage our midfield to play ten yards further up the park. It also adds another piecve to the core of the team which we badly need

What says the good folk of FF?....

Am I the only person who thinks Morelos will still be here next season?

As for a dominating CB and leader..... we’ve not had either for years. So yes we need to try and find both.

as daft as this sounds, if we have ambitions of ever getting ahead of that lot, then we have to cash in and reinvest
I don't believe that mate. Keep morelos for the season if at all possible and back Gerrard with what we can. We're a few players in the squad short of having been able to turn most of our stupid draws into wins this season.

as daft as this sounds, if we have ambitions of ever getting ahead of that lot, then we have to cash in and reinvest

I really don't buy into this. Finding guys like Morelos is very, very hard. There's also absolutely no guarantee reinvesting the money will be done wisely. Could end up with 5 mediocrities at £4m each.

You build a team around a guy like Morelos and do your best to get players who are good enough. If he goes because promises have been made then fair enough, but voluntarily getting rid of him is utter madness

I really don't buy into this. Finding guys like Morelos is very, very hard. There's also absolutely no guarantee reinvesting the money will be done wisely. Could end up with 5 mediocrities at £4m each.

You build a team around a guy like Morelos and do your best to get players who are good enough. If he goes because promises have been made then fair enough, but voluntarily getting rid of him is utter madness

That’s madness.

Teams don’t grow and improve unless they reinvest.

What do you want next season, more of the same or the chance to reinvest 15m or so around the team.

I want a guy who can score 25+ goals a season. I'm not saying don't invest money, I'm saying don't get rid of the one absolute top notch player in the team. I'd rather invest a bit less and have him in the team.

You just don't attract many players of that class to this league, to me if he goes the team will be weakened. I'll be amazed if another striker arrives as good as him

We are all under the assumption that Morelos is gone in the summer. Hopefully we get at least £20m for him. The point being, with the money coming in we obviously need to replace him. But in my humble opinion we also need a dominant centre half and leader. Goldson and Katic are good centre halves, but we have no real voice at the back. Personally I don't rate Tavernier and he should be nowhere near the captaincy and I think this is one (of many) of our downfalls this year. Obviously this type of player will cost money but we have shown in the past that we can pick up a right good defender without paying a massive fee. For me it would make a huge difference and might even encourage our midfield to play ten yards further up the park. It also adds another piecve to the core of the team which we badly need

What says the good folk of FF?....
It doesn’t have to be a dominant CH but we do need a leader and organiser in the David Weir mould where he had full respect of the players and fans, when Weir, Greig ect talked all listend

I don't believe that mate. Keep morelos for the season if at all possible and back Gerrard with what we can. We're a few players in the squad short of having been able to turn most of our stupid draws into wins this season.

All ifs and buts, tbh. Most clubs will cash in on their asset at peak due to the risk factor I would say, coupled with most players ambition to play at a higher level.

I find Goldsons on park communication, posturing and aggression totally fine to be honest.

McGregor, Tav, Goldon and Worrall are all really good on park communicators and leaders from what I see.

He’s under contract so it certainly wouldn’t be voluntarily, but I think we should be positive about replacing players.

This is our model in action: buy low, sell high.

What it should allow us to do is look at a better level of player and gradually improve the overall quality of the squad.

We need to stop living in a world where we are terrified we can't find another Morelos.

He is an excellent player etc but teams sell players, it has always happened in football

We lived for a while thinking Cuellar was once in a generation, months later we had Bougherra etc.

I want a guy who can score 25+ goals a season. I'm not saying don't invest money, I'm saying don't get rid of the one absolute top notch player in the team. I'd rather invest a bit less and have him in the team.

You just don't attract many players of that class to this league, to me if he goes the team will be weakened. I'll be amazed if another striker arrives as good as him
I agree, we need to keep Alfredo to help us get to 55 next season.
We would find it extremely hard and expensive, if at all possible to replace an Alfredo Morelos.

I think defence is the least if our worries to be honest.

For me, any money we get has to be invested in attackers and goal scorers.

Although I appreciate Worrall and GMac will likely leave and we will need to bring in CH.

Or keep and continue to find investment elsewhere? Although I appreciate this is much easier said than done right enough.

Guess it will only become apparent with hindsight depending on:

1. How much Morelos leaves for (if he leaves)
2. How much of that Gerrard gets to reinvest in the playing squad
3. How well he/Allen spend

100% agreed although we need quality I still feel this season could’ve been different with fully fit Dorrans and Murphy who are imo better than arfield and candeais respectively

I think the whole "We need winners who are vocal and can organise" thing is over played. The main thing that's missing in our team is creativity in the final third.

I expect 2 in and 2 out in terms of centre halves McAuley and Worrall will be away and we will spend on a first choice CB and get a back up on a free/loan deal

I find Goldsons on park communication, posturing and aggression totally fine to be honest.

McGregor, Tav, Goldon and Worrall are all really good on park communicators and leaders from what I see.
Yep, communication is certainly not an issue. Our centre backs are very vocal.

We need a centre back confident & capable enough to move with the ball and play good passes through the lines. Makes us less predictable & easy to defend against.

We need to stop living in a world where we are terrified we can't find another Morelos.

He is an excellent player etc but teams sell players, it has always happened in football

We lived for a while thinking Cuellar was once in a generation, months later we had Bougherra etc.
We replaced Hutton in his prime 6 months into the season with kirk broadfoot and went to the uefa cup final lol. We'll always sell our best players but like you said we shouldn't be scared the club should have a main list of targets to take us to the next level if Morelos goes

The problem with building th me team around Alfie is when he isn’t available folk are clueless

The problem with building th me team around Alfie is when he isn’t available folk are clueless

Branding folk clueless is a bit much. People may see the game differently from you or I. They are entitled to their opinion same as everyone else

Until the Defoe arrival, I wouldn't have given it a thought, but in terms of a dominant CH, I'll throw Gary Cahil in the hat. Not playing at the moment, and the Gerrard attraction might be the pull??

Until the Defoe arrival, I wouldn't have given it a thought, but in terms of a dominant CH, I'll throw Gary Cahil in the hat. Not playing at the moment, and the Gerrard attraction might be the pull??

Gary Cahill, as in the Chelsea player who’s on £130k a week? Cool.

We need to get a defined style and then buy players that fit that style.

I’d rather we went with defenders who were quick so we can press high.

Is he really a fifth the value of Tierney?
Half the value of McKenna?

Tav is a better player than Tierney who is so over rated it is unreal. McKenna is a big diddy

Anyways as I said this is not a Tav bashing thread. The need for a leader in the centre of defence is essential for me

Incidentally, were Tav to leave this summer, how much would you expect we receive for him?

Unfortunately and I know it’s a cliche …but he is only worth what someone is willing to pay for him.That also goes for Morelos.

Considering our season is petering out in March that will not help us selling them on.

I hope Stevie G has learnt a very valuable lesson as he has over played way too many instead of rotating the squad.

So many who started off so well instead of being given time to develop…were shunted out for others that were in some cases inferior in my opinion.

I personally am livid about this and I think this has lead to much of our inconsistency and lack of real success this season.

It has to be recognized as a big failing with Gerrard and the mgmt team.……and with the ‘clock ticking’…………can’t afford to be repeated!

We certainly need another CH. Worrall is on loan - and McAuley is old.

My choice would be Simon Deli. Could probably get him for 3m. But if Slavia do well against Chelsea - that could rise.

Back