Dominic (never scores) Solanke

Numerous FF's were falling over themselves to get him into a Rangers shirt.

No doubt, the same ones that would currentlt be spitting blood at his underperformances.

Bournemouth paid £20 million for this dud and he's yet to score for them - currently sitting at a grim looking 1 goal in 56 premier league appearances for Liverpool & Bournemouth combined. For a striker that is absolutely embarrassing.

And to think many on here were desperate for him to sign for us. Is this one of the worst goalscoring feats in premier league history?

He’s brilliant on the laptop though.

To be fair I never said I didn’t. I also thought Sandaza would be free scoring for us, and Ian Black would add some quality to our midfield, we all get them wrong, sometimes spectacularly so :D

It’s just funny how adamant everyone was he’d be a great signing given he can’t score in a barrel of fannies now. It really is a perfect example of how shining at youth level should be no indicator of how a player will do when they make the step up. Meanwhile Vardy didn’t get near the top leagues until his late 20’s and has now got 100 Premier League goals.

Even the greats get signings wrong.

You can see why so many were excited about Solanke when Gerrard came in. I'm sure Gerrard rated him too.

Bournemouth was the wrong move for the lad. Team battling relegation, big money signing, not getting consistent, regular first team starts. Rangers would probably have been a better move for him at the time in his development.

He's 21/22 so still time to turn his career around. May have to drop down a league to get it back on track.

I am not saying Solanke is any good or that he was worth anywhere near 20m but the difference between our league and the premier league is absolutely massive and can't be compared.
We have guys in our league that have scored 20 goals in a season and cant even get a start in the championship.

I know what you mean mate but we’ve also players who did alright in the Premier League come up here expecting to piss it, only to struggle.

I know what you mean mate but we’ve also players who did alright in the Premier League come up here expecting to piss it, only to struggle.

Definitely goes both ways for sure (look at Teemu Pukki for example and going the other way-look at Barton for us). However, there are loads of players not getting a game in the premier league that could be really good for us.

I mainly just read the forum in those days, so didn't post on that thread, but had I done I would have been enthusiastic about signing Solanke. He looked quite talented going by clips I saw at the time, and appears to have quite a good record at youth football.

maybe so but doesnt hurt to remind folk of his chelsea era, does it :rolleyes:

why any Rangers fan would blow smoke up mentally challenged arse is beyond me:rolleyes:
Not blowing smoke up any mentally challenged arse..just pointing out out how ridiculous your comparison is....and you brought the mentally challenged into the thread Mr Staunch.

Bournemouth seem like a well run club but they also paid circa 15m for Jordan Ibe a few year back so it just shows how a tiny club can spend silly money in that league. Anyone saying Morelos is worth less is mental as he's better than Ibe and Solanke, though he didn't have an English youth career

I’m not saying we should sign them, but Solanke being absolutely shite is exactly why you can’t write off players like Ferguson or Dykes if they come here. Again, I’m not saying sign them, I’m just using it as an inverse example.

A new club is a fresh start. Every signing is a risk, it’s as simple as that.

Agreed, I have no major opinions one way or the other about the examples listed however I have absolutely no issue with us signing the very best players from the SPL.

They know exactly what the league is like and what to expect.

Bournemouth penalty today he was 1 on 1 before it was awarded with De Gea and made a c.unt if it

Bournemouth seem like a well run club but they also paid circa 15m for Jordan Ibe a few year back so it just shows how a tiny club can spend silly money in that league. Anyone saying Morelos is worth less is mental as he's better than Ibe and Solanke, though he didn't have an English youth career

When Sterling went to City there was Liverpool fans calling phone ins saying Ibe was better :))

I will hold my hands up and say I was one of the ones that really wanted us to sign him.

Watched in some England youth games and thought he was a great prospect. He also knew some of the coaching staff well so thought they would have got the best out of him.

Another player we should be pointing to for when any EPL club wants to sign Alfie on the cheap.

Fair to say the boy definitely isn't the second coming but I think he's still young and it's a bit early to be written off as a dud

People were desperate to sign him because he was coming from a better league and a ‘sexier’ club.

He’s not even half the player Morelos is, but it just highlights how starry-eyed some get based on club/league instead of actual ability of potential targets.
Please explain this. I have heard this ridiculous guff used before by others.

This just shows I/we all know the absolute square root of shxt about players and football in general
“Tho I was really really good on champ manager it just doesn’t make sense “
WATP 55iscoming

I’ve not seen a great deal of him this season but the stats are horrific, however he’s still young enough to drop down a league and find form again.

Seems to be a lot of after timers on here. No way on earth is he worth 20mill but he may do a job up here as backup to Morelos. But being backup is about it.

Always loads of smug hindsight analysts in threads about him. Majority on here reckoned he would've been a top signing based on him showing alot of promise, me included.

Yes his scoring record is dreadful and his transfer cost makes it worse, however he is also playing for side who have long since chucked it, most of which don't want to be there, and is still young enough to improve.
Give him the benefit of the doubt on that, what was his excuse for scoring one goal in 21 appearances for Liverpool? The fact that he's been linked.with Middlesborough says it all. He'll likely end up in league 1 within a few years.

Please explain this. I have heard this ridiculous guff used before by others.

I presume you’re just acting stupid, but I’ll entertain it for a minute or two.

The easiest example is the meltdown as soon as Lewis Ferguson is mentioned, compared to the fawning over Jordan Rossiter.

One has proven he’s comfortable in our league, reliable and not injury prone, yet you’d never know that from the reaction on here. Yet fans were still literally backing Rossiter to take Ryan Jack’s spot even as recently as the start of the most recent season, based on absolutely nothing.

The reason - one is from Aberdeen, one is from Liverpool.

Shame it's not happened for him.

Don't get to Chelsea and Liverpool by being a bad player but some can't handle the jump from youth to senior football.

Looked a star at youth level but looks like his future lies in the lower leagues.

Shame it's not happened for him.

Don't get to Chelsea and Liverpool by being a bad player but some can't handle the jump from youth to senior football.

Looked a star at youth level but looks like his future lies in the lower leagues.
Too much money too soon hunger gone and set for life job done for him

Clearly not ready for Premier League football and a stint in the Championship whether it’s with Bournemouth or another club makes sense. Klopp liked him a lot and he’s in a better position to judge far more than any of us are, so clearly he has some talent.

He’s what, 20? Still has lots of time to drop a level, score some goals and get some confidence. You’re not highly thought of at both Chelsea and Liverpool if you don’t have something about you.

This just shows I/we all know the absolute square root of shxt about players and football in general
“Tho I was really really good on champ manager it just doesn’t make sense “
WATP 55iscoming
It doesn't prove any such thing. What this thread proves more than the previous one is that some fans simplify what it takes to become an established footballer; for every star there are hundreds of great players who for one reason or another don't make it. Or are you and some othrers here suggesting he has very little natural talent?

He’s terrible. Overrated massively because he was miles bigger and stronger than everyone else at youth level, so managed to score a load. Now he’s playing with other’s his size he‘s being found out
I will hold my hands up and say I was one of the ones that really wanted us to sign him.

Watched in some England youth games and thought he was a great prospect. He also knew some of the coaching staff well so thought they would have got the best out of him.
Me too, I watched him a good few times and thought he had talent and would be a good prospect for us.

People were desperate to sign him because he was coming from a better league and a ‘sexier’ club.

He’s not even half the player Morelos is, but it just highlights how starry-eyed some get based on club/league instead of actual ability of potential targets.

That Hollywood league has a lot to answer for mate. Shudder to think about how much we’d have wasted to get him.

We were never in with a shout signing him, thankfully. Don't think a player so over hyped has failed so miserably. Without question the worst expensive signing ever.

When we were linked with him, I was happy at the prospect of him signing. Having watched him since, he is brutal.

Including you...

Loaning Solanke would have me reaching for so many hankies

:D :D :D :D

Including you...

Loaning Solanke would have me reaching for so many hankies

Ooft!

I presume you’re just acting stupid, but I’ll entertain it for a minute or two.

The easiest example is the meltdown as soon as Lewis Ferguson is mentioned, compared to the fawning over Jordan Rossiter.

One has proven he’s comfortable in our league, reliable and not injury prone, yet you’d never know that from the reaction on here. Yet fans were still literally backing Rossiter to take Ryan Jack’s spot even as recently as the start of the most recent season, based on absolutely nothing.

The reason - one is from Aberdeen, one is from Liverpool.

Can’t really argue with that. Rossiter is the most highly rated and adored player we’ve had whose never actually done anything for us.

tbf, he probably would have been excellent up here, just look at bankrupt sutton's record at chelsea, might be hard to find mention of it in scottish press right enough as they seem to have deleted it :rolleyes: :p

I can't stand Sutton but he was a very good striker before going to Chelsea. Think he was the leagues top scorer at Norwich and he won a Premier League with Blackburn as part of one of the best strike partnerships the league had ever had (SAS)

Chelsea was a disaster but it was a one off.

Back