Donald Findlay makes plea to save Cowdenbeath F.C.

Get Eddie Hearn or someone in to re-boot the game up here. Look what they did with darts, for example.

There is no-one in Scotland with dynamic ideas or anyone who is trying to really turn things around with respect to the league structure, turnstile pricing, fan culture, commercials, matchdsy experience or stadium infrastructure etc. It's just going along with the same old same old - and it's crumbling

100 percent agree. For a country with only 5 million people there's way too many teams. Teams merge, increased revenue from number of fans increasing and the standard of football will go up

If we just had two leagues of 18 with a lot of movement to lower leagues then teams would be forced to be competitive. That'll raise the standards overall.

Right now we've got loads of shit clubs like Cowdenbeath unable to attract supporters because there's zero excitement and they will play the same teams 4 times every year.

If we just had two leagues of 18 with a lot of movement to lower leagues then teams would be forced to be competitive. That'll raise the standards overall.

Right now we've got loads of shit clubs like Cowdenbeath unable to attract supporters because there's zero excitement and they will play the same teams 4 times every year.
This !!!

Aye, I think the top flight should be at least 16 teams. I think the main reason they won't adopt this is because it would mean only 2/3 old firm games a season rather than 4/5, so the TV money drops off. Imo its a pinch in the short term for long term gain. Standard would improve with that format in time.

Literally no successful or half decent league has 12 teams in their top flight (that I can think of?).

Will it make any difference if teams like this disappeared?Let them die.They wanted rid of us.We matter,they don't

100 percent agree. For a country with only 5 million people there's way too many teams. Teams merge, increased revenue from number of fans increasing and the standard of football will go up

Disagree with that ill thought out type of elitist talk, tbh.

Disagree with that ill thought out type of elitist talk, tbh.

Call it what you like, but it's the truth.
Scotland has 42 teams in all leagues (excluding Highland league etc). So 119k people per team. In England there are 92 teams, so 576k people per team. You could go around all of Europe and do the same, and Scotland comes out with one of the fewest people per team.
It isn't nice and I accept that, but naturally teams struggle to survive because they bring in no revenue from gate money and merchandise etc. The standard of football declines and so they kind of have to merge or fail to survive.

Scotland has 42 teams in all leagues (excluding Highland league etc). So 119k people per team. In England there are 92 teams, so 576k people per team. You could go around all of Europe and do the same, and Scotland comes out with one of the fewest people per team.
It isn't nice and I accept that, but naturally teams struggle to survive because they bring in no revenue from gate money and merchandise etc. The standard of football declines and so they kind of have to merge or fail to survive.

Teams would lose supporters as it wouldn't be their team anymore, it'd be some kind of hybrid club that would mean nothing. Not sure why you haven't factored that in. Restructure the leagues yes, but forcing mergers would be a shocker.

Bit like if Europe's Elite said you can enter a collective team from Scotland into the CL as we're sick of the cannon fodder and you are pointless.

Teams would lose supporters as it wouldn't be their team anymore, it'd be some kind of hybrid club that would mean nothing. Not sure why you haven't factored that in. Restructure the leagues yes, but forcing mergers would be a shocker.

Bit like if Europe's Elite said you can enter a collective team from Scotland into the CL as we're sick of the cannon fodder and you are pointless.

Wasn't saying force mergers at all. You can't force teams to merge. What I mean is it'll probably naturally drift towards some teams having to merge because currently there are far too many teams for it to be sustainable in modern day football where money is so important. Again, I don't think it's nice or right - why should someone who's supported e.g. Peterhead for 30 years be forced to merge. But I think it'll progress towards this naturally. Either this or clubs just closing

Wasn't saying force mergers at all. You can't force teams to merge. What I mean is it'll probably naturally drift towards some teams having to merge because currently there are far too many teams for it to be sustainable in modern day football where money is so important. Again, I don't think it's nice or right - why should someone who's supported e.g. Peterhead for 30 years be forced to merge. But I think it'll progress towards this naturally. Either this or clubs just closing

I'd say a club on the brink would go over anyway or become a hated merger. Look at ICT for example, a terribly supported club despite the only senior club in the city or even Livingston born from Meadowbank.

Be a shame if clubs disappeared, IMO.

Get Eddie Hearn or someone in to re-boot the game up here. Look what they did with darts, for example.

There is no-one in Scotland with dynamic ideas or anyone who is trying to really turn things around with respect to the league structure, turnstile pricing, fan culture, commercials, matchdsy experience or stadium infrastructure etc. It's just going along with the same old same old - and it's crumbling

Been saying this for years.

Get a team of professionals in to run the game. Hearn would be my choice.

Remove every club rep from every committee to ensure that decisions are made for the good of the game, not for the self interest.

As long as self interest remains then ther will be cliques, corruption and underhand dealings.

Former Rangers vice-chairman, now chairman of Cowdenbeath FC, Donald Findlay made a public plea to save the Fife club at a meeting in the town on Thursday evening [ 22 March ].

With the self-styled Blue Brazil in danger of dropping into the Lowland League at the end of the season, or even going out of business if cash is not raised, Mr Findlay told a meeting of board and supporters in a local public house that the club was at crisis point but fighting on.

“The purpose of this meeting is not to confirm the demise of Cowdenbeath FC, and I can also say that the rumours some notable people have contributed substantial sums of money are not true – if that was the case then we would not be here,” he said.

“Not very far from here was a house I lived in and when I was growing up there were stories that were told to me by my father.

“One was about mining and a sense of community. The other was about Central Park and the football club.

“Central Park is well named for a good reason because it sits right at the very heart of the town.

“We’re not going to let the club die but if we’re going to take it forward we need people to come forward.

“I have this foolish notion of the club and the community getting more involved together.

“If I was to say now “That’s it, I’m shutting the club, we’re not going to play the game on Saturday”, we would get people coming from every direction wanting to become involved in the club.

“So why not now?

“We need people who will commit to doing something for the club and stick at it, at least until the end of next season.”

Supporters were urged to back the Club 135 initiative, which is a plea to every fan or person with a link to Cowdenbeath to donate a minimum of £10.

Reaching out to at least 13,500 people globally would raise at least £135,000 to provide some security moving forward, and the meeting heard that £35,000 has been raised in eight months – with contributions coming from the likes of Vietnam, Canada and the USA.

Cowdenbeath FC were formed in 1881 and joined the Scottish League in 1905.

http://www.rocksportradio.co.uk/donald-findlay-makes-plea-save-cowdenbeath-fc/
Did Cowdenbeath FC show any degree of support for the plight of our club? Nah, well they and Donald can go feck themselves. Rangers will always be here Donald, if it were before our trouble then I would gladly have donated something, now I wish Cowdenbeath and every other club in this country nothing but bad health.

Perhaps, Donald you could donate your fee from defending Craig Whyte in the case against the Rangers, the money you made could fund and sustain Cowdenbeath for many years to come.

We should only have 2 leagues imo!

As sad as it is for supporters of these clubs to see their teams disappear, if the game is ever going to improve in Scotland we need teams like Cowdenbeath to go to the wall.

Places like Fife and Angus can't support the amount of teams they have.

As sad as it is for supporters of these clubs to see their teams disappear, if the game is ever going to improve in Scotland we need teams like Cowdenbeath to go to the wall.

Places like Fife and Angus can't support the amount of teams they have.
Arbroath are doing very well thank you and going for two consecutive promotions. Great wee club.

Good grief this thread made a few wierd geopolitical twists and turns.

My head hurts.

I'm immigrating now. :)

Sky will never go for it mate they want there 4 games of rangers against the beasts , sad really as our game is crying out for change, get rid of the dinosaurs that run the game here and fresh new ideas before it really is too late

Sky will never go for it mate they want there 4 games of rangers against the beasts , sad really as our game is crying out for change, get rid of the dinosaurs that run the game here and fresh new ideas before it really is too late

Sky money into Scottish Football is not worth wiping our arse with. We shouldn't be letting them dictate our game.

We need to be able to produce a better product that can be sold to TV companies all over. It can't be done without a more competitive and diverse league.

If we must throw Sky a bone, then we have a Super Cup season opener which will more often than not be us against them. Even when it's not it'll be a decent match.

It's no coincidence that Scottish Football was miles better with an 18 team league. Look at the two great threads for 67/68 and 73/74. If Sky were around then they'd be marching up here with suitcases of cash to televise the game.

If there’s a genuine pyramid system allowing promotion from junior football (or other semi-pro leagues), it doesn’t matter how many ‘wee’ teams we’ve got.

Findlay should stop moaning and put his hand in his pocket.

Back