Double tickets

Generally they haven’t realised that they haven’t purchased it. A failed cccs for example.
Failed cccs payment is usually followed by an email to tell ST holder there’s been an issue receiving payment, and gives a time scale to then go on and purchase their ticket before released to mygers/general sale.

This has been happening too long , wtf is going on , this has the potential to turn nasty if it already hasn’t wi people arguing over seats
Yip.

Many areas folk will know who sits where and I'm sure if someone rocked up with a paper ticket in one of our seats and got lippy the guys who all know each other would be in on any agro.

Could get out of hand.

Last edited:
Why are you being so quick to blame the fans instead of the shambles that is the ticket office here when there’s been numerous reports of the same incident happening for 12+ months?

I’m not blaming the fans. I’m telling you what the likely cause is, based on my experience of looking into these previously. I’ve not ruled out anything as im not someone who operates or investigates the ticketing system but generally when investigated, one of the two in the same seat has not purchased a valid ticket for that match.

The club do need to do better in this respect but there is too much snobbery towards ST holders, when they may have been moved, not activated via CCCS, had issues scanning in and bunked in with someone else rather than going to the TO to sort it out.

edit: I misread you here, looks like we are in agreement about that.

I am sure this is happening but feel it's not the same issue that OP is talking about.

There is a thread after every Euro game about tickets being sold twice. This absolutely is happening when the season ticket holder has not been moved, has paid for their ticket (CCCS or not), and the section of the ground doesn't seem to matter (not just Club Deck with some extra seat numbers as I've seen people suggest). We even have someone in this thread with duplicate Thornton Suite tickets. Disgraceful.

There are always comments suggesting the OP may have made a mistake. Sometimes they will but the fact remains tickets are getting double sold for cup games, it's definitely the club's fault and it has been happening since Malmö.

I can see why the stewards get told paper ticket has priority, although that should be reversed if the ST holder shows a proof of purchase email (but they shouldn't have to deal with this and it's awkward with lack of signal).

Lots of people saying they wouldn't move. If the other guy doesn't move either, what are you going to do? Fight him? Get kicked out and miss the game? It's a problem whether you move or not. And it isn't the fault of the guy with the paper ticket. You both paid to get in.

Can't believe this is still happening.

Last edited:
Failed cccs payment is usually followed by an email to tell ST holder there’s been an issue receiving payment, and gives a time scale to then go on and purchase their ticket before released to mygers/general sale.

Yes that is correct. And in dozens of cases per game the ST holder will not realise this until they try and gain access to the match as unfortunately not all supporters check their emails. I had 6 phone calls about it yesterday as fans checked in the morning of the game.

It’s not an IT problem. The it didn’t let him in. Someone did or he doubled in. Which is what causes the issue for the fan. It’s an issue I’ll flag once more that stewards shouldn’t be letting people in without proof they have purchased.
Greg, have you looked at what might be “the elephant in the room” that no one wants to or be willing to discuss

Are any of the stewards who “let people in”receiving an incentive from ticketless fans to let them in.

Over the years certain grounds have had some dodgy characters who would make money by allowing ticketless fans in through security gates ect.

Are the issues more prominent in one area of the ground?

I’m not insinuating this is the case but merely asking the question considering the issue seems to be more problematic on European nights that have sold out

Yes that is correct. And in dozens of cases per game the ST holder will not realise this until they try and gain access to the match as unfortunately not all supporters check their emails. I had 6 phone calls about it yesterday as fans checked in the morning of the game.
So then said fan chances his arm and the steward “being helpful” is actually then Infact not doing their jobs properly and letting them in, causing problems.

Steward retraining to eradicate that problem, then it’s only the doubling up and double sales that needs sorted after that.

Greg, have you looked at what might be “the elephant in the room” that no one wants to or be willing to discuss

Are any of the stewards who “let people in”receiving an incentive from ticketless fans to let them in.

Over the years certain grounds have had some dodgy characters who would make money by allowing ticketless fans in through security gates ect.

Are the issues more prominent in one area of the ground?

I’m not insinuating this is the case but merely asking the question considering the issue seems to be more problematic on European nights that have sold out

It’s a fair question to ask. I’ll speak to CS to see if we are getting complaints in one area more than another

Posted before this happened to me last season.

Obviously activated my ST, turn up to the game and someone has a paper ticket with my exact same seat details. Tbf the guy was brand new and left when I explained was my seat etc.

Someone or something at the ticket office are it IMO, there must be a system in place that prevents already purchased tickets being printed off.

Potential to cause real bother at a game if sold to the wrong person and they refuse to move etc.

This is happening every game. An absolute shambles.

Even my wife said last night “it looks a lot fuller in parts of the ground than usual”

Stewards watching ticketless people jump the ancient turnstiles is equally as worrying. Just look at the footage of last night or Leipzig game and look at GF1 stairwell, you can't see the stairs because of ticketless fans standing there. I sit in GF1 and i'm reluctant to take my daughter to a european or Celtic game because of this issue as she would freak out in the tight squeeze. Stewards try and squeeze them in instead of asking to see their 'ticket' and removing them! We pay a lot of money for european games yet freeloaders are getting premium matches for free! It's disgusting!

I think a number of different factors will be feeding into this.

1) Folk ‘doubling up’ at turnstiles and getting in without a ticket.

2) Season ticket holders who, for a number of reasons, haven’t activated their card for the game in question. That might be failed payment; having to log on and buy a ticket (where they’d usually be CCCS) and not realising; issues with the CCCS system itself; etc. These folk will then remonstrate with a steward and be let in - only to find someone else has bought the ticket for their seat.

3) The clubs ticketing system issuing more than one ticket for the same seat.

Whatever it is, it needs reviewed and sorted quickly because it’s going to lead to bother for the club at some point.

It’s also pissing off fans who pay good money and have to spend part of their day trying to sort it out.
The first 2 issues relate to stewards not doing there job. Anyone doubling up should be kicked out. Anyone who’s season ticket doesn’t work should be directed to the ticket office. Until stewards start doing their job those 2 issues won’t stop

Doubling in, steward thinking they are helping. Using another ticket. Plenty of ways it can happen.
Surely should be easy enough to stop folk doubling in at turnstiles?
Steward’s generally don’t seem to bother their bahookie going by what gets taken into the stadium & most of the games I’ve been at recently there hasn’t been a steward near the turnstile in a position to stop folk basically jumping the turnstile.

Doubling in, steward thinking they are helping. Using another ticket. Plenty of ways it can happen.
Someone at braga told me that they scanned their season ticket and got in, then there pal scanned the same ticket again and it let them in. I have no reason to doubt what they said

@Greg Marshall can I ask what is being done about the countless people who are just doubling up and getting in without paying and seemingly face zero repercussions?

This is separate issue to the double selling of tickets but one that is not only more dangerous but also just plain pathetic that it is being allowed happen and becoming a bigger issue with every game.

Every single European game last season there were countless people mentioning this but it appears that literally nothing is being done about it as the problem is getting worse.

The problem is two fold:

There are the people who are committing the offence and getting in without paying meanwhile myself and tens of thousands are having to fork out for tickets. I have yet to see a single person challenged on this or thrown out of the ground.

The other and more dangerous matter is the countless stewards on the turnstiles who must see this happening and yet so nothing about it.

As an example: A guy that sits near me had it happen to him at USG game.

He scanned his smartcard and someone pushed him through the turnstile with them coming in behind.

There were 4 stewards on that turnstile when it happened. Not one person said a word to the guy (ST Holder) or the guy that doubled up?

What is the point in having stewards if they aren’t going to steward?

@Greg Marshall can I ask what is being done about the countless people who are just doubling up and getting in without paying and seemingly face zero repercussions?

This is separate issue to the double selling of tickets but one that is not only more dangerous but also just plain pathetic that it is being allowed happen and becoming a bigger issue with every game.

Every single European game last season there were countless people mentioning this but it appears that literally nothing is being done about it as the problem is getting worse.

The problem is two fold:

There are the people who are committing the offence and getting in without paying meanwhile myself and tens of thousands are having to fork out for tickets. I have yet to see a single person challenged on this or thrown out of the ground.

The other and more dangerous matter is the countless stewards on the turnstiles who must see this happening and yet so nothing about it.

As an example: A guy that sits near me had it happen to him at USG game.

He scanned his smartcard and someone pushed him through the turnstile with them coming in behind.

There were 4 stewards on that turnstile when it happened. Not one person said a word to the guy (ST Holder) or the guy that doubled up?

What is the point in having stewards if they aren’t going to steward?
Someone at braga told me that they scanned their season ticket and got in, then there pal scanned the same ticket again and it let them in. I have no reason to doubt what they said

I would ask that people that witness this happening feed it back to the club. I’ve highlighted that social media has indicated it’s a growing problem and will continue to highlight in games going forward but we need to see the areas that are being reported as hit most

The first 2 issues relate to stewards not doing there job. Anyone doubling up should be kicked out. Anyone who’s season ticket doesn’t work should be directed to the ticket office. Until stewards start doing their job those 2 issues won’t stop
The stewards generally don't appear to be interested but they're getting buttons for what they're meant to be doing, its something thats went rapidly downhill over the last wee while.

Stewards watching ticketless people jump the ancient turnstiles is equally as worrying. Just look at the footage of last night or Leipzig game and look at GF1 stairwell, you can't see the stairs because of ticketless fans standing there. I sit in GF1 and i'm reluctant to take my daughter to a european or Celtic game because of this issue as she would freak out in the tight squeeze. Stewards try and squeeze them in instead of asking to see their 'ticket' and removing them! We pay a lot of money for european games yet freeloaders are getting premium matches for free! It's disgusting!
Seen this to, also see totally useless stewards who just don't want to know.

I like a beer before and after but the amount of people absaloutly steam boats is ridiculous, especially when they try take up the wrong seat as has already been mentioned

The doubling up issue is a joke, I took my grandson to his first Rangers game last night and for a while pre match it looked like an individual was going to try and force his way into our area, thankfully he moved on.

Are the people with smart cards likely in the wrong and they've been given alternative seats to use for the game or is it a genuine duplication error.

I would ask that people that witness this happening feed it back to the club. I’ve highlighted that social media has indicated it’s a growing problem and will continue to highlight in games going forward but we need to see the areas that are being reported as hit most
To put some perspective on this Greg how many cases actually get formally reported on average per game and over the season ?
What has been learned from investigating these cases and what action was taken to prevent this reoccurring ?
Are stewards raising concerns about staffing or training ?
If a steward has to become involved in sorting a seating issue out do they have to record this for the club to investigate further or is it left for the fans to wander about the stadium looking for a seat and that's the matter closed.
It has been cited that their have been occasions where fans appear to have not bought tickets and stand in the Isles.If this is the case and their is an absence of effective and safe stewarding has there been any incidents of action taken against stewards for negligence?

I’ve moved from main Stand rear to Govan front this season, I had never seen it happen before and 2 of the last 3 games I’ve witnessed it and so did the steward last night. Fly buggers.

This happened with my wee ones ticket and I can 100% assure you there was no doubling up and the ticket was bought and paid for through CCCS, swiped successfully at the turnstiles and when we got to our seats they had been bought by someone else who had a QR code for the very same seats. We were turfed out our seats which isn't acceptable.

There seems to be an automatic response by the club that they aren't to blame when they clearly are in a number of instances. Getting a ticket system fit for purpose and to quote James Bisgrove 'best in class' would stop this from happening. The ticket website is a shambles.

Last edited:
This explanation then begs the question - if the season ticket holder did not purchase their seat - why was their season ticket (smart card) activated for the game that allowed the holder entry to the ground at the turnstiles
In my case I actually saw the guy fail to get in. He exited the turnstile and I presume he was allowed in my a steward at another gate.

Yip.

Many areas folk will know who sits where and I'm sure if someone rocked up with a paper ticket in one of our seats and got lippy the guys who all know each other would be in on any agro.

Could get out of hand.
That’s exactly what happened to me. I wasn’t keen on a confrontation since the game had started and there were kids in the vicinity.

Some of the attitudes on here show people right up. “Turf me out by force” “part-timers” “getting told to F off” doesn’t help the situation since anyone with a paper ticket has a genuine claim to the seat. A bit of civility would be much more appropriate with a polite request to speak to a steward.

OP said:

"But in my case I have the email stating my card is activated and it did let me into the ground.The paper ticket had my seat number on it.So it was absolutely a club issue."
I don't know much about it but could you be moved to another part of the ground for this game and the smart card still works?

That’s exactly what happened to me. I wasn’t keen on a confrontation since the game had started and there were kids in the vicinity.

Some of the attitudes on here show people right up. “Turf me out by force” “part-timers” “getting told to F off” doesn’t help the situation since anyone with a paper ticket has a genuine claim to the seat. A bit of civility would be much more appropriate with a polite request to speak to a steward.
If you have a smart card and someone has a paper ticket, are the stewards going the next step and putting people out? If I paid for the game and could confirm it I wouldn't be leaving.

This happened with my wee ones ticket and I can 100% assure you there was no doubling up and the ticket was bought and paid for through CCCS, swiped successfully at the turnstiles and when we got to our seats they had been bought by someone else who had a QR code for the very same seats. We were turfed out our seats which isn't acceptable.

There seems to be an automatic response by the club that they aren't to blame when they clearly are in a number of instances. Getting a ticket system fit for purpose and to quote James Bisgrove 'best in class' would stop this from happening. The ticket website is a shambles.
Yep and given we got a fine last season for blocking of stairwells the club really should be proactive and investigating the causes of why this is happening and stopping it. Shouldn't be left to the fans to sort out amongst themselves.

I don't know much about it but could you be moved to another part of the ground for this game and the smart card still works?
I am not sure how the seat moves are communicated. Maybe they had an email with the original seat number, and later got another email with the new number. I am inclined to side with OP though because the same thing happened to me for Malmo (a while ago I know but keep seeing the threads) and I definitely wasn't moved from GF5, nor were the 2 guys to my left who had the same issue.

You'd need to have a serious brass neck to double up and sit in someone else's seat, perhaps get away with it in areas of the stadium that stand (as wrong as it is to do it)

You'd need to have a serious brass neck to double up and sit in someone else's seat, perhaps get away with it in areas of the stadium that stand (as wrong as it is to do it)

It happens all the time, tanked up idiots just there to get pissed, smoke and do gear in the bogs.

Stewards are no use anyway, pay peanuts get monkeys!

It is an actual embarrassment to the club that this happens so often.

But if stewards are siding with paper tickets (the holders of these have done nothing wrong either) then season ticket holders are going to be raging to be moved (to where?) Or turfed out when they have paid and probably paid prior to paper ticket holder buying then what have season ticket holders to do? Feck off to the ticket office and miss the majority of the game or suck it up and go to the pub?

I did mention if the ticket holder got lippy. Many might budge up. Others may kick off.

If I've paid 500 odd for my season ticket and on cccs and had email confirmation that I've paid for a cup game, I'm sure as hell not being made to move nor should anyone.

This seems to be on the club and poor fans are suffering.

Some of the "part timers" actually exist and many will be waiting for a season ticket. Others that show up on euro nights are utter roasters (obviously not all but can be spotted a mile off and we had some absolute morons near us at the Dortmund game puking and bevvying throughout) but that's not the issue.

It's a shit ticket system that appears to be issuing tickets twice.

Can you please email in the details and I’ll get it checked.

It happens all the time, tanked up idiots just there to get pissed, smoke and do gear in the bogs.

Stewards are no use anyway, pay peanuts get monkeys!

It is an actual embarrassment to the club that this happens so often.
Would you be willing to put yourself at risk for NMW? I certainly wouldn’t

Absolutely not and you are right.

That also says a lot about some of our fans then that stewards welfare can actually be at risk.
Nothing to do with our fans, it’s society in general. Stewards are nothing more than a tick box. The only one that takes the job serious is the wee bully that wears the football boots, no where to be seen if it’s someone bigger than him though

If anything, it should be the police doing it

I’m not blaming the fans. I’m telling you what the likely cause is, based on my experience of looking into these previously. I’ve not ruled out anything as im not someone who operates or investigates the ticketing system but generally when investigated, one of the two in the same seat has not purchased a valid ticket for that match.
No your view of the likely cause is someone else is the problem rather than our out dated under funded ticketing system.

If its a season ticket holder with ccs then how can doubling up be an issue?

Your response sums up the clubs attitude towards fans perfectly.

Any examples of this please email slo@rangers.co.uk and we will look into it. Generally in my experience they haven’t been double sold but a ST holder thinks they’ve purchased their seat when they haven’t. But every instance will be looked at.
That doesn’t really help out at the time, this could end in fights

Happening far too much in every part of the stadium to be easily explained off by blaming ST holders who have a missed payment.

It’s also a procedural issue clearly as it shouldn’t be left to the customer to ascertain this when they reach the stadium, if smart cards aren’t active then they should be checked not just allowed in.

Systematic of everything about our club that the first excuse is to blame your core fan base.

How about the whole process of entering Ibrox?

Which is a shambles for 2022 and alongside the constant ticketing website issues leaves us constantly frustrated.

Club seems to cost cut everywhere but happy to take every penny out of us.

Happening far too much in every part of the stadium to be easily explained off by blaming ST holders who have a missed payment.

It’s also a procedural issue clearly as it shouldn’t be left to the customer to ascertain this when they reach the stadium, if smart cards aren’t active then they should be checked not just allowed in.

Systematic of everything about our club that the first excuse is to blame your core fan base.

How about the whole process of entering Ibrox?

Which is a shambles for 2022 and alongside the constant ticketing website issues leaves us constantly frustrated.

Club seems to cost cut everywhere but happy to take every penny out of us.
Perfect example being the dysfunctional ticket office that has no direct phone line

Back