Doug Baillie, now 83, recalls playing striker against Standard Liege in 1962

I remember his column in the Sunday Post. Always had a wee bit at the end called Doug Baillies Brickbat,where he nailed a team or individual. I didn't have a clue what a brickbat was till I was a bit older.

Our first league title win under Souness, the 1-1 draw at Pittodrie myself & my mate had seats in the last row of the main stand & the press were right behind us & behind glass.
When the score was 1-1 albeit still 5 or 6 minutes to go , Big Doug rattled the "windae" & him & Alan Davidson were holding up A4 sheets with the score at Celtic park & Falkirk had scored & the two of them giving us the thumbs up.
Not sure if Doug,s boy was playing with the rotten mob at that time but he certainly enjoyed that day

Our first league title win under Souness, the 1-1 draw at Pittodrie myself & my mate had seats in the last row of the main stand & the press were right behind us & behind glass.
When the score was 1-1 albeit still 5 or 6 minutes to go , Big Doug rattled the "windae" & him & Alan Davidson were holding up A4 sheets with the score at Celtic park & Falkirk had scored & the two of them giving us the thumbs up.
Not sure if Doug,s boy was playing with the rotten mob at that time but he certainly enjoyed that day
He would have been, he wasn’t very good iirc

I'm sure his son was drafted in against us at the piggery and thinking we'll win easily with McCoist against him. Unfortunately, they beat us that day!!

Is that the Doug Baillie that used to write for the Sunday Post?
He was in the old press box at Hampden when I was helping to film the 1993-94 Scottish Amateur Cup final Bannockburn Amateurs. ( Which we won)

The far side linesman flagged for offside against Bannockburn despite the player being in his own half when the ball was played.

I went mental calling him every useless so and so under the sun. Looked round and Doug Baillie was sitting pishing himself laughing!

Really nice, down to earth fella.

I remember his Sunday post match report against the sheep on the day of Simpson’s tackle on Durrant.

An abhorrent piece of writing that made fun of the tackle.

Sat next to Doug Baillie on the charter flight back from Lillestrom in the 70's. He wrote an article about the trip in the following weekends Sunday Post. I recall him writing about a Bear putting the hat around for the Pilot and the stewardesses.

I remember attending a midweek game v Falkirk at Ibrox when Baillie was centre- half for Falkirk.
No-nonsense right enough.

A guy in our supporters club was a relation of Doug Baillie and he used to attend our dances. He brought a young player along with him one year. That player was Davie Provan and Davie and his wife Lillias were regulars at our dances throughout the time Davie was at Ibrox. Great folks they were.

Did his son not put Chris Woods out the game for a number of weeks after kneeing him in the back at the piggery?

Did his son not put Chris Woods out the game for a number of weeks after kneeing him in the back at the piggery?
Yes, from memory he broke a rib or two of Chris Woods at the scum dome the day Mark Walters made his debut.
The challenge was deliberate in my opinion,a shocking act of thuggery, over shadowed by the bananna throwing antics of rasellik fans.
As for his old man, well before my time, I knew of him as a journalist and not a player.
To be honest some of his writing made me question if he ever actually was a Ranger.
To be expected I suppose with his boy playing for the poops.

I remember seeing Baillie play and he was some fcukin unit of a bloke.

We had another guy a couple of years later who was out the same mould as Baillie.

And he was a defender that had a couple or more outings as a striker.

Older Bears may know who I mean.

Went by the name of Roger Hynd.

Wasn’t it Dougs son who misplaced a back-header that allowed Mo Johnston to lob Bonner at the piggery

His wife was a teacher I'm my primary school, Low Waters in Hamilton. Doug actually came into the school and put together a team for a cup competition. He made me captain of the team but unfortunately we got beat 6 1 in the first round and that was that.
Great memories though.

Remember my old man saying he (Baillie) wasn't much of a player, but then he was spoiled by seeing George Young and Willie Woodburn.

Just read the article , the team actually landed at Renfrew Airport, don't think it was called Glasgow Airport, anyway a young John Greig was the star of the tour and never looked back after it on his way to becoming the Greatest Ranger.
The tour is well documented in a book called We will Follow Rangers by the old journalist Hugh Taylor

Last edited:
Back