Douglas Cree - grandson of Sam English - has passed away

mdingwall

Administrator
Sadly the same malady which claimed his grandfather has claimed Douglas too.

A lovely guy - along with his brother-in-law Lloyd Gailey he was one of the powerhouses to mark Sam's centenary and have him properly honoured.

It seems to be just a blink of an eye - but in reality a couple of years - since I last met him when the family were able to purchase Sam's Northern Ireland international cap at an auction.

I remember so well his mum, who was not a well lady herself at the time, saying at the conclusion of the Sam English dinner "I can die happy." That was in no small part due to Douglas helping to right the wrongs which history had done to both Sam and his wider family.

It was a pleasure to have known him.

A lovely guy - along with his brother-in-law Lloyd Gailey he was one of the powerhouses to mark Sam's centenary and have him properly honoured.

It seems to be just a blink of an eye - but in reality a couple of years - since I last met him when the family were able to purchase Sam's Northern Ireland international cap at an auction.

I remember so well his mum, who was not a well lady herself at the time, saying at the conclusion of the Sam English dinner "I can die happy." That was in no small part due to Douglas helping to right the wrongs which history had done to both Sam and his wider family.

Sad news.

We had a few of the family recently around on the Founders Trail.

It was a real pleasure to meet them.

Douglas was a gent, having worked with him a lot on a large project two years ago he was a lovely bloke, and a huge bear. He was very proud of his ancestry, and his families connection to Rangers.

He is missed already.

Tremendous turnout today from family, friends and work colleagues to give Douglas a send-off.

The main hymn was "Will Your Anchor Hold" - very poignant as he met his missus Julie whilst on a BB camp in Wales. The recessional was "Oh Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go."

O919AHB.jpg

83gxLOU.jpg

Back