Douglas Ross worn down by you know who !

okeydokey505

Official Ticketer
They chip chip chip and get their way again.

Scottish Tory MP Douglas Ross has told football authorities he will no longer accept refereeing appointments when Parliament is sitting.

It means he will not be in the running to officiate at next summer's World Cup in Russia.

Mr Ross was criticised for missing a debate on Universal Credit to run the line at a Champions League match.

He defended that decision in a letter to constituents saying he knew he would not be able to speak in the debate.

But now, in a statement given to online community newspaper Inside Moray, the Moray MP said he recognised he could no longer balance his football job with his political one.

The absolute laugh that Mhairi Black had a go at him, when her voting record is one of the worst in parliament. Very disappointed that he's bowed the to the pressure of the fascists in yellow.

It's a common disease these days.

I don’t see anything wrong with it. He’s paid well to be an MP and to represent his constituents.

If Parliament is sitting and he is fit and well then he should be available - he shouldn’t be missing anything due to a 2nd, part time job.

Is he a linesman at murrayfield tomorrow?
Guy has jobs with the two organisations I detest and mistrust most. Politicians and scottish football officials.

They chip chip chip and get their way again.

Scottish Tory MP Douglas Ross has told football authorities he will no longer accept refereeing appointments when Parliament is sitting.

It means he will not be in the running to officiate at next summer's World Cup in Russia.

Mr Ross was criticised for missing a debate on Universal Credit to run the line at a Champions League match.

He defended that decision in a letter to constituents saying he knew he would not be able to speak in the debate.

But now, in a statement given to online community newspaper Inside Moray, the Moray MP said he recognised he could no longer balance his football job with his political one.

Quite right too. He's an MP and paid well to represent his constituents. If Parliament is sitting, that's where he should be, not off on some jolly to officiate at a football match. I bet he didn't offer to hand back some of his MP's salary for the time he missed!

Quite right too. He's an MP and paid well to represent his constituents. If Parliament is sitting, that's where he should be, not off on some jolly to officiate at a football match. I bet he didn't offer to hand back some of his MP's salary for the time he missed!
If that was the case Mhari Black would need a crisis loan for the ones she missed.

The vote he missed, he was asked to abstain in. It made absolutely no difference whether he was there or not.

It's nationalist-led Tory bashing, and some people are falling hook, line and sinker.

I think it’s right. He’s paid to be an MP. Do the job.

I can get on board with that as long as every MP votes when required and relinquishes any 2nd job they have.

Even if it's the likes of consulting for a firm rather than a "permanent" role.

Who all falls in that boat?

It's only because he is a Tory so therefore not a true scot. So we could have some scottish presence at the world cup, but no the snp make an issue of nothing.

They need to start targeting rats like black.

I can get on board with that as long as every MP votes when required and relinquishes any 2nd job they have.

I agree. It should be the only job you can have. The register of members interests will show who does what.
The problem is that until about 100 years ago MPs didn’t get paid. The system needs to catch up with the modern world. It’s not a pass time

https://order-order.com/2017/10/19/linesman-mp-attended-96-votes-better-record-snp-mps/

The SNP are boarding the outrage bus about Tory MP Douglas Ross taking time out from his day job to run the line at the Barcelona Champions League game last night. SNP MP John McNally raised the issue at PMQs yesterday, accusing Ross of missing a (non-binding) vote and producing a red card from his pocket to brandish at the Tory benches. The stunt might have worked if McNally didn’t have a worse voting attendance record than Ross – he has only attended 92% of votes this parliament, compared to Ross’ 96% attendance rate. Indeed, for all the SNP’s wailing, Ross has a better attendance record than most of them. Some Nats are barely ever here: Mhiari Black has voted in just 21% of divisions, Angela Crawley just 54% and so on.

His attendance record has been very good and one of the highest. He should be allowed.

I think this is an absolute disgrace in all honesty. He had a better attendance for voting than just about every SNP member. Shocking.

That is a disgrace.
But it does again shine a light onto the vindictive and hypocritical nature of those people involved with Nationalist politics.
Summed up by that disgusting creature Black.
A parcel of rogues indeed.

If we could just learn to stick up for our own.

Ross, 33, said: “I didn’t see the effigies but it’s totally inappropriate. There’s no other word for it.

“Why would a fan, or fans, think that was a suitable thing to do when they should be concentrating on supporting their team against their great rivals?
“Supporting their team and players, rather than thinking beforehand this is going to be a good idea then taking the stuff to the club and then putting it up.
“There’s an undercurrent there that goes on outwith a football stadium and I think that’s deeply regrettable.”

I agree. It should be the only job you can have. The register of members interests will show who does what.
The problem is that until about 100 years ago MPs didn’t get paid. The system needs to catch up with the modern world. It’s not a pass time
Is he not allowed a Hobby ?

Bowing to the hypocritical Nats, sadly the way thing are until folk wake up and vote them out.

Is Ross's voting record not 96% against Black at 21% or something like that?

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

I don’t see anything wrong with it. He’s paid well to be an MP and to represent his constituents.

If Parliament is sitting and he is fit and well then he should be available - he shouldn’t be missing anything due to a 2nd, part time job.

I tend to agree with you there. That is his job, a well paid one, the football job is a part time job/hobby.:confused:

W.A.T.P.

Everyone saying that he is well paid to be an MP and should concentrate on that are correct to a degree. The problem is that there are likely to be many dozens of MPs with Commons attendance records worse than his - they are the disgrace, probably happy to be paid without turning up and unable to get their lazy butts out of bed.

They have previous also not just this year.

Hypocritical Bastards.

Nationalist MP’s are in a ‘league of shame’ claim Scottish Labour

ALEX Salmond has the worst voting record of Scottish MPs at Westminster despite claiming the highest amount in travel expenses, it has emerged.

The former First Minister was top of a new 'league of shame' which ranks parliamentarians on their performance in voting, speaking and submitting written questions.

It was released after the latest figures showed many Nationalist MPs were claiming far more in expenses than the people they replaced in last year's landslide.

Although Mr Salmond had a dual mandate for part of the year, he still took part in only 45 per cent of Westminster votes, spoke in only 49 debates and submitted only four written questions.

The latest expenses figures show he claimed £48,471 in travel expenses in 2015/16, the most of any Scottish MP and almost four times more than his Lib Dem predecessor, Sir Malcolm Bruce.

Mhairi Black - the youngest MP at Westminster - spoke in the least debates (17), while Westminster leader Angus Robertson and his fellow veterans Stewart Hosie and Pete Wishart did not ask a single written question last year.

The figures were compiled by Scottish Labourand a spokesman said: "The reality is that SNP MPs are weaker for Scotland, and more expensive for Scotland - with many wracking up huge business class travel bills for them and their staff.

He is also slow to respond to written queries from his constituents in Gordon, Aberdeenshire, with the WriteToThem.com website revealing he replied to less than one in five letters.

"While they have been taking taxpayers for a ride, many have utterly failed to do their job to stand up for the constituents who put them in their privileged position."

He added: "While there is a lot more to being an MP than the work in the Commons, it beggars belief that some haven't bothered submitting written questions to the Tory government. Others have missed huge numbers of votes, and some SNP MPs have barely spoken in the Commons. Scotland deserves better."

Only three Nationalist MPs reached or exceeded the average voting record at Westminster, with Angus MacNeil (Western Isles), Douglas Chapman (Dunfermline), Hannah Bardell (Livingston), Corri Wilson (Carrick and Cumnock) and Richard Arkless (Dumfries and Galloway) also among the most frequently absent.

Glasgow East MP Natalie McGarry, who resigned the party whip and now faces fraud charges, attended only 48 per cent of votes and spoke in only 26 debates.

Another former SNP MP, Michelle Thomson, spoke in just nine debates, asked eight written questions and took part in 54 per cent of votes.

The MP for Edinburgh East also resigned the party whip amid allegations over her property dealings.

Roger Mullin (Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath) took part in the most votes, while Patrick Grady (Glasgow North) spoke in the most debates and Kirsten Oswald (East Renfrewshire) submitted the most written questions.

The website also showed that Mr Hosie had the lowest

Scottish response rate to letters from constituents, with just 11 per cent, while Labour's sole Scottish MP Ian Murray had the highest, with 88 per cent.

Mr Murray was also among the most active parliamentarians at Westminster, tabling 109 questions, speaking in 32 debates and taking part in 67 per cent of votes.

Lib Dem Alistair Carmichael was also active in terms of debates and written questions, although he missed 45 per cent of votes.

Last night, an SNP spokeswoman said Scottish Labour was "scraping the barrel" and added: "They are criticising SNP MPs for not submitting enough written questions, but by their own figures, SNP MPs are on average in the Chamber twice as much as their sole MP Ian Murray.

"Scottish Labour also don't seem to realise that the SNP are able to hold UK government ministers to account in the chamber every week, and just this week the SNP had more MPs question the Prime Minster than the entire Labour Party.

"Angus Robertson questions Theresa May each week leaving backbenchers squirming with discomfort - the only people looking uncomfortable when Jeremy Corbyn tries to hold the Tories to account are the Labour parliamentary group.

"The electorate decide how well they are being represented and Scottish Labour did such a poor job of representing the people of Scotland that they were all but wiped out at the last election. They should stop barking from the sidelines and join the SNP in holding the Tories to account."

Like it or not MP's are allowed second jobs, Ross did nothing wrong and his attendance was good for Westminster votes. He was at least doing something useful (we might all moan about match officials but without them there would be no football).
Its a classic nat case of "play the man not the ball", critics of Ross should pick him up on things he says or the he way he votes in Westminster, not the fact that he missed a vote that he would have abstained in anyway to run the line at a high profile football match

Am I missing something?

Shouldn't the nats be actively encouraging him to stay away from voting on issues that ultimately conflict with their own interests?

Back