Drop our tempo and we drop points

Go back to 4-3-3 and we drop points. No surprise there.

The midfield is dreadful. It’s been the same for 3 seasons now. Going gets tough and they sh*t the bed.

For the third summer in a row we’ve spent no money in midfield. Why are we surprised that we can’t grind our results with a bang average midfield?

It’s absolutely amazing. All the money since Gerrard has been here as went up front or defence.

Last edited:
Yep, the tempo is so important. That game was there for the taking today. We lifted the tempo for 10 minutes or so at the start of the second half and looked very good. But, apart from that, the tempo was far too slow for long periods. Guys were frequently strolling about at walking pace. Same with the Livingston game. It is so frustrating to throw away needless points.

For me, the responsibility for setting the tempo rests in large part on the midfield, and the central midfield at that.

What would you have liked him to do?
Actively manage the situation. He is failing in this aspect of management, the best managers make a difference during the game, Gerrard refuses to try. Watch Klopp impart effort, infuse the team with aggression, spirit, will-to-win also tactics, positions etc.
Call the captain over and tell him to get them going would be a start.

Last edited:
Yep, the tempo is so important. That game was there for the taking today. We lifted the tempo for 10 minutes or so at the start of the second half and looked very good. But, apart from that, the tempo was far too slow for long periods. Guys were frequently strolling about at walking pace. Same with the Livingston game. It is so frustrating to throw away needless points.

For me, the responsibility for setting the tempo rests in large part on the midfield, and the central midfield at that.

We knew Hibs were going to be at us from the first minute, and we couldn't respond. Hibs were galvanised with our lax attitude and predictably opened the scoring. Our attitude early doors was not of a team out to sweep the opposition aside and get the job done and dusted.

Go back to 4-3-3 and we drop points. No surprise there.

The midfield is dreadful. It’s been the same for 3 seasons now. Going gets tough and they sh*t the bed.

For the third summer in a row we’ve spent no money in midfield. Why are we surprised that we can’t grind our results with a bang average midfield?

It’s absolutely amazing. All the money since Gerrard has been here as went up from or defence.
And yet he was a world class midfielder.

Actually I think it's the tempo and lack of urgency towards the end of games that we are drawing or getting beat that is the problem.

We seem accept the game can't be won after 60 or 70 mins and just kind of wonder around the park going through the motions

Title winning teams are like battering Rams in those periods

At the risk of sounding Captain obvious missed chances are every bit as important as the errors at the back.

I can't see us losing 3 goals in a game for instance this year. Very rare we lose that many. So it's imperative we take chances to get out of sight.

At the risk of sounding Captain obvious missed chances are every bit as important as the errors at the back.

I can't see us losing 3 goals in a game for instance this year. Very rare we lose that many. So it's imperative we take chances to get out of sight.
That's a great point, and maybe that is a theme that should be made more of, the fact we have chances and don't take them as often as we should.

Only when we have a Rangers side up and in the opposition's faces from the first minute every game, we will struggle again this season.

Totally agree. Same old timid shite from the same players who strut about like they’re the dogs bollocks but when it comes to the crunch they shite it.
I’m sick of the wee increase in tempo after EVERY halftime. It’s obvious so why doesn’t the manager notice it and sort it?

Subs? Subs before the opp score for once. You happy he just sits there doing and saying nothing?
When the opposition scored we were in total control, opening hibs up and the 3rd looked like coming. What can gerrard do about the that sort of defending at their goal? we had an opportunity to clear our lines.

What else can he do about the midfield then going into their shell after losing the 2nd, Davis kamara arfield not picking up 2nd balls and looking nervous on the ball.

What subs would you have made?

Subs? Subs before the opp score for once. You happy he just sits there doing and saying nothing?
He doesn't do that though. The team fought a game that could have gone either way; we were losing and then we took the lead; we were dominating and lost a stupid goal, and we made subs later. Walter sat in the stands very often; every manager has his style, but what Gerrard did or didn't do from the touchline isn't really the issue with the result. If someone needs their boss to be at their desk every five minutes, then they are in the wrong occupation anyway; the higher up the scale the less that should even be in question. The players had this game won; that they didn't close it out is for them to deal with going into the season from now on. There are times when the responsibility lies with the players; we had this game in the bag if we take our chances more.

When the opposition scored we were in total control, opening hibs up and the 3rd looked like coming. What can gerrard do about the that sort of defending at their goal? we had an opportunity to clear our lines.

What else can he do about the midfield then going into their shell after losing the 2nd, Davis kamara arfield not picking up 2nd balls and looking nervous on the ball.

Mate no team is in total control with a 1 goal lead. Today was like groundhog day with the manager. If your happy to see the same thing over and over again fair play, i prefer we change things and not drop points against teams we are far better than.

He doesn't do that though. The team fought a game that could have gone either way; we were losing and then we took the lead; we were dominating and lost a stupid goal, and we made subs later. Walter sat in the stands very often; every manager has his style, but what Gerrard did or didn't do from the touchline isn't really the issue with the result. If someone needs their boss to be at their desk every five minutes, then they are in the wrong occupation anyway; the higher up the scale the less that should even be in question. The players had this game won; that they didn't close it out is for them to deal with going into the season from now on. There are times when the responsibility lies with the players; we had this game in the bag if we take our chances more.
Mate come on, thats some of the worst head in the sand stuff backing the manager i have seen on here.

Mate come on, thats some of the worst head in the sand stuff backing the manager i have seen on here.
So be it. So far, today, Gerrard has been asked to get on the park, sort out refereeing standards, take to do with the discipline of another team's player, etc. I don't get the blanket criticism of Gerrard where it's directed today.

So be it. So far, today, Gerrard has been asked to get on the park, sort out refereeing standards, take to do with the discipline of another team's player, etc. I don't get the blanket criticism of Gerrard where it's directed today.
And you never will tbh.

One of my mates who's not a Bear texted me and asked why the manager just sits there with his arms folded. It's a good question.

The main problem though is the same thing that's been the problem all along - not taking our chances.

Leaving the Arfield chance aside, we had a ton of possession in the final third but consistently refused to take a shot at goal. You simply CANNOT walk the ball into the net every single time.

Some of our play is sublime but there's far too much abdication of duty with our midfield who, 99% of the time, when in a position to shoot at goal, will just knock the ball sideways, leaving it to someone else and, too often the chance is gone.

We desperately need to bring in an Albertz type who's capable of hitting the target from outside the box. Even a decent shot on target gives the opportunity of a spilled ball and a follow up for Alfie or one of the other strikers.

Can't Stevie see this? We all can.

One of my mates who's not a Bear texted me and asked why the manager just sits there with his arms folded. It's a good question.

The main problem though is the same thing that's been the problem all along - not taking our chances.

Leaving the Arfield chance aside, we had a ton of possession in the final third but consistently refused to take a shot at goal. You simply CANNOT walk the ball into the net every single time.

Some of our play is sublime but there's far too much abdication of duty with our midfield who, 99% of the time, when in a position to shoot at goal, will just knock the ball sideways, leaving it to someone else and, too often the chance is gone.

We desperately need to bring in an Albertz type who's capable of hitting the target from outside the box. Even a decent shot on target gives the opportunity of a spilled ball and a follow up for Alfie or one of the other strikers.

I think if you listen to his interviews then it's obvious that Gerrard sees a lot. It's isn't just about shouting outside the box though; we have many chances that we don' take, even when we win games. and Gerrard has spoken about that, even today.

if we stop missing our chances then we would be fine
morelos header and arfields double chance
at least two that we shouldve scored and it was a win

Actually I think it's the tempo and lack of urgency towards the end of games that we are drawing or getting beat that is the problem.

We seem accept the game can't be won after 60 or 70 mins and just kind of wonder around the park going through the motions

Title winning teams are like battering Rams in those periods

I agree with this. There was a point about 80 minutes I thought I was watching walking football. Utterly baffling.

if we stop missing our chances then we would be fine
morelos header and arfields double chance
at least two that we shouldve scored and it was a win
He amount of chances we miss is criminal - and it has been happening for a long, long time. And I include Morelos in this. Yes, he scores goals, but I still say he is nowhere near clinical enough.

And who's responsible for the players?

That makes no sense

The bench was poor, full of defenders.

We need to move the ball quicker, when we do that we look like a different team. Look at the second goal when we played fast incise one touch passes, it was like a hot knife through butter. We don't do it enough though and I feel Davis and co take the safe option too often. We end up playing around the edge of the opposition instead of going through them.

Another slow and ponderous start today cost us. Its been a recurring theme at grounds where the opposition is choking at the leash to get at us. Its massively disappointing that we haven't learned that we must be raring to go in these games.
Yip, it seen us flop last Season at Tynecastle and then get pumped out the Scottish Cup. Gerrard seems to be happy to adopt a slow start to a match.
Rarely do you ever see us coming out the traps and going for the throat. We always allow teams to settle.

Gerrard and McAllister sitting in silence absolutely pisses me off.
Of course if it's an old firm match or a high Profile European tie he is animated throughout. Someone should be reminding him that EVERY game for Rangers is a high profile match.
No leadership on the park and no inspiration off it.

Been the same story for about 5 years now. We either start as though we’re 3-0 up or we give the team both barrels for the first 20 minutes and if we don’t score then the players, and manager, are scratching their heads.

There doesn’t seem to be a plan B and this carry on of throwing 3 strikers on, disrupting the shape of the team screams desperation imo. Need Aribo and Roofe back fit asap

It’s been the same since Gerrard took over.

We go through these random long spells in games - usually the first half - where we simply don’t turn up.

The amount of times the players have needed a rocket at half time has always been a concern of mine.

Gerrard and McAllister sitting in silence absolutely pisses me off.
Of course if it's an old firm match or a high Profile European tie he is animated throughout. Someone should be reminding him that EVERY game for Rangers is a high profile match.
No leadership on the park and no inspiration off it.
I've always said that EVERY game we play in Scotland is a Cup Final for the opposition.

We need to match that attitude.

In fairness it's obvious.

Any Barca style 'pass/move' game depends on tempo....do it slowly and the opposition easily set up their defensive positions,

Last edited:
It’s been the same since Gerrard took over.

We go through these random long spells in games - usually the first half - where we simply don’t turn up.

The amount of times the players have needed a rocket at half time has always been a concern of mine.
Yip, and he sits there and does absolutely nothing to change it.

Missed the movement and guile of Roofe upfront we did not link up well bar maybe Arfield and Hagi.

Kent bar setting up the goal and Morelos and Hagi at times did not look at their best Kamara also had a very poor game.
Defensively Barisic and Tav let in two simple crosses for the goals and Goldson had a nightmare against Nisbet.

Our attacks usually start from the back eventually working our way forward. Teams have plenty time to get their shape and defend. We rarely high press teams. In fact teams often do it against us. I think we are at our best when committing players high up the park sitting right on top of teams - forcing errors high up the park with numbers to exploit this while teams panic in disarray. The deep midfield 2 may have helped in our clean sheets, but has done nothing in getting bodies in and around where it matters in an attacking sense.

Our attacks usually start from the back eventually working our way forward. Teams have plenty time to get their shape and defend. We rarely high press teams. In fact teams often do it against us. I think we are at our best when committing players high up the park sitting right on top of teams - forcing errors high up the park with numbers to exploit this while teams panic in disarray. The deep midfield 2 may have helped in our clean sheets, but has done nothing in getting bodies in and around where it matters in an attacking sense.

Agree with you generally but I thought we played a lot of quick balls splitting the line yesterday. Our problem seems to me to be putting the ball in the back of the net compared to the number of goal scoring chances we have. We must be relatively easy to defend against if you throw bodies around the box.

Back