Dumbarton player falls ill with heat exhaustion after ref refuses water break

uneasydaz

STEVIE FARRELL has revealed Dumbarton were denied a water break before one of his players fell ill with heat exhaustion.

Before and during Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to Partick Thistle the Sons boss asked referee Mike Roncone and his assistant if there could be stoppages.

Despite the sweltering conditions at Firhill, both officials told Farrell that wouldn’t be possible.

But he was then forced to hook Stuart Carswell at half-time after he started feeling unwell.

Now Farrell wants the football authorities to bring in rules which would see fluid stops made compulsory when the mercury goes above a level.

He said: “I quite like Mike the referee but the SFA should have water breaks as a pre-requisite above a certain temperature.

“There needs to be consideration to all players when it comes to this.

"Part-time players like Stuart have been working all day in these conditions.

“But it doesn’t mean full-time players will be any less affected either.

“The SFA should have in place provisions that are mandatory to consider players’ welfare in such conditions.

"Thankfully Stuart is now okay.”

Is there not a set temperature it needs to be for there to be a drinks break in a competitive match?

Is there not a set temperature it needs to be for there to be a drinks break in a competitive match?
For uefa tournaments it’s only allowed if it’s 32 degrees or more, there’s no rule domestically, the epl had them briefly during project restart but they were done away with come the new season.

Totally laughable and a shocking this is not allowed especially in extreme heat. What is actually wrong with having say 4 water stations at the side of the pitch where players can grab some water when the ball is out of play or play is stopped or a player is in dire need. The ref does not need to stop the game and would be up to players to decide if there is time to grab a quick drink or not.

Surely this is a common sense approach. As stated a lot of these guys are part time and have been at work during the day. Probably some of it of a manual nature. They need to keep hydrated in these current conditions which again common sense tells you is not generally the norm.
The SFA, which we all know is a joke of an organisation, have to consider the welfare of these players. The water stations is a great idea.

Obviously these officials didn’t watch the Euros …why wouldn’t you stop a game for 2/3 min for a water break

Is there anything in the laws stopping someone going to the side for a drink at a shy? If not, get on with the game and grab a drink when you need one.

The ref could book them for time wasting etc. A drinks/cooling break is so that players don't have to interrupt the game at their own leisure.

Totally laughable and a shocking this is not allowed especially in extreme heat. What is actually wrong with having say 4 water stations at the side of the pitch where players can grab some water when the ball is out of play or play is stopped or a player is in dire need. The ref does not need to stop the game and would be up to players to decide if there is time to grab a quick drink or not.
Absolutely , it’s something UEFA/FIFA should be looking into rather than sin bins for yellow cards and doing away with throw ins etc

Absolutely , it’s something UEFA/FIFA should be looking into rather than sin bins for yellow cards and doing away with throw ins etc
It already happens when the trainer/doc runs on with 6 water bottles in his bag (why does he need so much water with him)? That team with the injured player can have a water break while the player is being treated while the opposing team cannot rehydrate. Why is the doc running on with 5 litres of water?? Its unfair and water should be available on the sidelines for anyone that wants/needs (at the players own risk)

The ref could book them for time wasting etc. A drinks/cooling break is so that players don't have to interrupt the game at their own leisure.
The ref absolutely could not book a player for grabbing a quick drink at the side of the park while the ball is out for a throw at the other end of the park. FFS, I have had half a fag and a pint at the side of the park during a game :D

If the ref isn't allowed to do it why didn't the manager send subs out to warm up with water bottles so the players could get a drink?

Boyd and Burke approve of this suggestion.

Seriously though, player safety should supersede any rules that stop something sensible like a water break in high heat.

The ref absolutely could not book a player for grabbing a quick drink at the side of the park while the ball is out for a throw at the other end of the park. FFS, I have had half a fag and a pint at the side of the park during a game :D
Of course they could. Otherwise, why wouldn't they? I'm not saying they should be booked, but obviously they felt they weren't getting an opportunity to take a drink.

For uefa tournaments it’s only allowed if it’s 32 degrees or more, there’s no rule domestically, the epl had them briefly during project restart but they were done away with come the new season.

It's Scotland though and we're about 4 degrees off the record temperature at the moment. Common sense should hopefully prevail in that situation. I can't even sit in the garden for more than 20 minutes just now without sweating through a shirt.

Last edited:
Only need around 60 seconds to take on some fluid (assuming Lennon hasn't kicked the crate tae feck).

Common sense is all that's needed.

Tennis players get drinks and can stuff themselves with bananas every two games.

Common sense doesn't apply in anything SFA and SPFL related.

Top to bottom, the most incompetent set of arseholes that exist in the universe.

It'd astonishing morons like that referee are allowed to climb the ladder.

Scotland doesn't get extreme temperatures like this, so it makes even more sense to have a break to allow the players to get some fluids, it takes what? 2 minutes at most.

Everything we do in this country is just completely backwards and still stuck in the days without electricity.

"Despite the sweltering conditions at Firhill, both officials told Farrell that wouldn’t be possible."

That makes absolutely zero sense and if it were up to me the referee wouldn't referee another game in our football pyramid.

How would it impossible to stop the game and allow the players to drink some water?

Ref prob didn't have much leeway within the rules. If player need hydration, is unwell or injured then surely its up to the individual and coaching staff to sort them out.
You may be right but I wouldn’t think he’d get that much trouble for allowing it. I realise we’re talking about the SFA here and common sense is often lacking but you’d think there would be an uproar if someone is punished for looking out for the players’ welfare

Didn't we have a game at Ibrox in the last few years where that happened. Someone went off for a drink but play restarted and they either got booked for coming back on without permission or weren't allowed back on until the ref waved them on? Same idea as someone who went off for treatment.

"Despite the sweltering conditions at Firhill, both officials told Farrell that wouldn’t be possible."

That makes absolutely zero sense and if it were up to me the referee wouldn't referee another game in our football pyramid.

How would it impossible to stop the game and allow the players to drink some water?
So what’s to stop a team under the cosh to demand a water break to take the pressure off them?

Ill go against the grain here and call this a nonesense.

Football and sports have been played for years in the heat. All theses breaks are us nearing us to advertisements in the game the same as the states.

There could be many reasons he had heat exhaustion,

Surely this is a common sense approach. As stated a lot of these guys are part time and have been at work during the day. Probably some of it of a manual nature. They need to keep hydrated in these current conditions which again common sense tells you is not generally the norm.
The SFA, which we all know is a joke of an organisation, have to consider the welfare of these players. The water stations is a great idea.
Agreed, but common sense is not common. Especially up here

Caveman backwards country. “Dad, I NEED a drink” “no son I’m busy reffing the game you’re playing in” it’s absolutely revolting!

Sounds like another in a long line of jumped up pricks masquerading as referees. He should be hammered over this.

Back