Dumbarton player falls ill with heat exhaustion after ref refuses water break

So what’s to stop a team under the cosh to demand a water break to take the pressure off them?
Ah this stupid argument, seen it now and seen it posted in the concussion subs thread, it's nonsense then and it's nonsense now.

Did you watch any of the euros? It seemed to work there with no one trying to take the pressure off them, I think it will work in the diddy Cup ffs.

Its exceptionally hot in Scotland at the moment, player safety is more important than a team getting a few corners in a row.

I mean the sensible thing would be for there to be water breaks in this heat, but is there actually anything stopping him leaving the pitch to get water if need be?

Ill go against the grain here and call this a nonesense.

Football and sports have been played for years in the heat. All theses breaks are us nearing us to advertisements in the game the same as the states.

There could be many reasons he had heat exhaustion,
Im guessing running about in heat that hes not used to and not being able to get a drink will be near the top of the list. Im sure Dumbarton are part time so guy maybe busting his chops all day in work then running about in the heat but aye lets not afford him a minute break to take on some fluids.

Im guessing running about in heat that hes not used to and not being able to get a drink will be near the top of the list. Im sure Dumbarton are part time so guy maybe busting his chops all day in work then running about in the heat but aye lets not afford him a minute break to take on some fluids.
I can see the point, mate. And I hope the guys well. And i agree with you but I just worry that were heading like the states.

Plus had the guy been drinking over the weekend? What had he eaten the last three days?

I can see the point, mate. And I hope the guys well. And i agree with you but I just worry that were heading like the states.

Plus had the guy been drinking over the weekend? What had he eaten the last three days?
I understand the concern regards changes to the game but simple fact is these are part-timers who were refused a simple request during unusually high temperatures. Normally in July they'd be asking for a break to get a bovril.
As regards his preparation for the game as I saod given that he's part-time probably more reason for the break as they won't be as conditioned as pros. Looks like the ref being an arse.

I understand the concern regards changes to the game but simple fact is these are part-timers who were refused a simple request during unusually high temperatures. Normally in July they'd be asking for a break to get a bovril.
As regards his preparation for the game as I saod given that he's part-time probably more reason for the break as they won't be as conditioned as pros. Looks like the ref being an arse.
I can totally agree with that as well. Scottish refs are utter arses as we fine wel, know

It's there as rule that stops a player from walking over to the touchline and taking a drink from a bottle during the game?

Football and sports have been played for years in the heat. All theses breaks are us nearing us to advertisements in the game the same as the states.

As the manager said, the player and other part time players had been working all day in those conditions.

Just tell the SFA they can setup an official sponsor say lucozade, charge them £££ and lo and behold you’ll have drinks breaks in by next week.

That’s disgraceful, dehydration in those sort of temperatures can cause heat stroke, shock, convulsions and heart attacks.

When we were lads we'd play cuppy and ScotlandvEngland for over 4 hours in all weathers including the summer of '76 then share a bottle of juice (ginger) between 6 including floaters.

The games gone soft.

The referee at the Bonnyton v Pollok game last night told all in the ground that he would call a water break in each half

Pretty straight forward

Water breaks are a good idea but what's stopping the players just grabbing some water at a break in play? That's what I always did

Remember the old days when players would take drinks when the game had stopped for a free-kick, corner, etc etc. I miss the common sense days when you were faced with problems like you can take a drink of water or run yourself until you collapse, you chose the water. Even if they did start water breaks people nowadays would probably still %^*& it up as they would need to be told the exact millilitres to drink.

Remember the old days when players would take drinks when the game had stopped for a free-kick, corner, etc etc. I miss the common sense days when you were faced with problems like you can take a drink of water or run yourself until you collapse, you chose the water. Even if they did start water breaks people nowadays would probably still %^*& it up as they would need to be told the exact millilitres to drink.
Don’t forget the personalized bottles… especially with Covid!

There have definitely been people running on to pitches with players’ personally marked bottles for a few years though - it’s not too complicated to sort out.

Totally laughable and a shocking this is not allowed especially in extreme heat. What is actually wrong with having say 4 water stations at the side of the pitch where players can grab some water when the ball is out of play or play is stopped or a player is in dire need. The ref does not need to stop the game and would be up to players to decide if there is time to grab a quick drink or not.
Ref should be able to stop the game at any time if there are safety concerns.

The referee concerned is a complete idiot imo. A roasting hot night, part time players and he wouldn't stop the game for two minutes to let them take on water! Rules are rules but common sense cannot be allowed to go out the window because of them.

Sometimes I think the SFA are only there to assert the little amount of power they have in any way possible. A bunch of old men deciding what happens in a young mans game who probably think "we never had that in my day".

Aye, in your day you no one trained like they do now. Amateur teams probably have more intense schedules that old Premier League teams.

The referee at the Bonnyton v Pollok game last night told all in the ground that he would call a water break in each half

Pretty straight forward
I was at at the Cambuslang Rangers game last night and they had a water break, the ref waited for the ball to go out blew the whistle everyone had a drink, took 2 minutes

In the past it's been sorted by having water bottles located down the sidelines, for players to grab a drink at any time. Of course Covid prevents that at present, and possibly for the forseeable future as well. I see no reason why the game can't be stopped for a minute, say maybe twice per half. As others have said it can sometimes take longer to take a goal kick.

Part-time players, who probably work outside most of the day as some form of labourer, were denied it.

With Covid going mental and players not allowed to grab bottles from the sidelines as they go, what do these clowns think was going to happen?

I don’t think advertising was much of an issue for Partick Thistle vs Dumbarton. I think it might have been just too hot and the part time athletes needed a drink.

The ref absolutely could not book a player for grabbing a quick drink at the side of the park while the ball is out for a throw at the other end of the park. FFS, I have had half a fag and a pint at the side of the park during a game :D
Technically it's a booking offence to leave the pitch without permission from the referee so you never know! It's hardly ever enforced but I'm pretty sure I remember that being an obscure rule when I did the refereeing course a few years ago.

They are at set times normally half way through each half. Not sure 10 mins in you can say hawd on I need a drink.
FFS use some common sense
80 minutes on the clock, rangers pushing the scum for an equaliser and the nonce griffiths says he has heat exhaustion and needs a drink? You happy with that?

Just playing the devils advocate, I think these things are tricky as the rules get abused

One of the most typical SFA Blazer attitude that blights Scottish Football.

Lads been at work all day, goes out in 30deg heat plays for his part time football team and isnt allowed a water break and hits a whitey. Its not even the referee's fault as he would get pulled by some high ranking lady's front bottom thats never kicked a ball in his life.

80 minutes on the clock, rangers pushing the scum for an equaliser and the nonce griffiths says he has heat exhaustion and needs a drink? You happy with that?

Just playing the devils advocate, I think these things are tricky as the rules get abused
Usually after 30 mins, then half time, then 60 then full time with intermittent breaks for water if people are down injured.

Its not as if you can tell the ref to stop, he tells you when to stop. Its a minute tops, really not difficult.

That's not how it works mate, the ref stops the game after about 25 minutes of each half, the players don't stop the game

Read my post again. I clearly say that breaks are set at midway between halves.
If he had heat exhaustion Id assume he would go down and the game would get stopped to let him get treatment.
If the concept of water breaks is too difficult to understand how have you manhed with all the covid rules?

That's not how it works, the game isn't actively stopped for a water break - a restart is delayed around the 25th minute in each half to allow the time to take on fluid. So the ball is already out of play.

As a referee your single most crucial role, is managing player safety - that clearly failed here

Bonnyton Thistle v Pollok at Townholm in Kilmarnock last night: water breaks in each half.

Pollok v Blantyre Vics at Newlandsfield on Saturday: water breaks in each half.

Common sense prevailed on these occasions thankfully.

Last edited:
I was at at the Cambuslang Rangers game last night and they had a water break, the ref waited for the ball to go out blew the whistle everyone had a drink, took 2 minutes
Same as st rochs v neilston last night, ref delayed restart when the ball had gone out of play midway through each half. Sensible

I should also add I was supporting the away side!

Ref and the assistant are idiots with zero common sense

It was 28 degrees at 8.00 pm last night and surely it made it totally justified to have 2 quick water breaks

If the SFA/SPL say they are not allowed then it’s them who need shamed into making it acceptable

Hope the guy is okay but sums up how people don’t think

If there's no rule about it, why wouldn't you just stop the game at the ref's discretion ? Or even just someone develop an imaginary head knock to create a break ?
Referees, man. Robots would have more common sense.

Unfortunate the lad was unwell but hopefully, this highlights it and something can be introduced to prevent something worse happening.

Although high temperatures at games can be dangerous for the players, the main danger is when those high temperatures are combined with high humidity (like last night). Unfortunately, I have seen the tragic consequences of dehydration, both in and outside sport.

I'm not sure of the specifics of last night's unfortunate events. That said, players must take personal responsibility for their preparations and always remain properly hydrated. Just drinking water when you’re suddenly feeling thirsty during a game is too late and a recipe for disaster. That said, it should not be beyond the will of man for all Clubs, in conjunction with referees and SFA/SPFL, to simply check a weather forecast in advance and make sure pre-arranged water breaks are compulsory where necessary, and also that authorities maintain flexibility for making unscheduled water breaks, if conditions do deteriorate during a game.

As a footnote, there was a recent thread about Alfredo and his family enjoying themselves at home in the Northern plains of Colombia. I’ve done a lot of cycling in Colombia and I don’t envy Alfie living in that part of the country one bit - the humidity is truly unbearable and any physical activity is incredibly difficult. I used to wonder how people survived there and couldn’t wait to get back up into the high Andes and the “drier” heat.

I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that Alfredo comes back to Scotland for the more bearable conditions (excuse the pun).

Back