Dundee and Strachan endearing themselves to Scottish football

Agree with most of what he said. I would go to 2 divisions of 14. Regional leagues below that with strict promotion rules. Also no plastic pitches in leagues and if stadium is not 90% full then additional tickets should be made available to away fans. This would create better atmosphere and look far better on tv.

Just listened to that and agree with all he says. Clubs who pull in 200 every week should find their level. Bring in clubs with ambition.

He's right in what he said, but, here's the crux of the matter, how many members are on the SFA/SPFL boards who are attached to part-time clubs, and yet they have a major say on the governance of our game, that's a real issue for our game going forward.

We should only have one board covering our game, not for self preservation, or, for the benefit of one team.

Until we have that then our game will continue to fall into decline.

I see he mentions plastic pitches, The premier league in Scotland has 25% of teams with them, should be compulsory to have grass pitches. No top teams play in them.

Do some of the junior teams have a bigger supper than some of the league teams?

anyway far to many in Scotland and probably a maximum of 24 professional clubs is enough

A lot of the cynicism and sheer self serving greed in football dates from the point when we started to refer to football as a product.

One small point, how was the decision to allow SPFL plastic pitches taken? A vote presumably.

Remember when big arfur bust his hon in training and the game was called off ?

He makes some fair points but hes another pretty horrible person thats part of the yahoo family.

He’s spot on. A quick look on Wikipedia and read this about football in Holland:

The Dutch football league system consists of two fully professional leagues (Eredivisie and Eerste Divisie), one semi-professional level (Tweede Divisie) and seven levels of amateur football leagues, the highest of which is called Derde Divisie, formerly Topklasse. All the leagues are connected by a promotion and relegation system, but in order to be promoted to the Eerste Divisie a club has to submit a solid business plan to be approved by the Royal Dutch Football Association, as well as meet certain stadium demands, and some other demands that the football association stated for all the teams in the top two leagues. That way it was possible that the IJsselmeervogels won the 2010–11 Topklasse, but was not promoted, because they did not want to be bound to these demands. FC Osswas promoted instead. The Football Association obliges every team from the two fully professional leagues to contract 16 players full-time, in order to keep these leagues fully professional. In 2016 Tweede Divisie was reintroduced as a semi-professional level and placed between the Eerste Divisie and the Derde Divisie.

Surely its something we could and should implement in this country. 2 leagues of professional teams that meet a strict standard. Semi-pro below that, those that are willing to step up and meet the criteria can be promoted

Been one of the massive arguments in a couple of the group chats since this all kicked off.

there’s too many clubs in Scotland for the size of the population we have. Realistically how many clubs should we have, it would be hard to argue too have more than 2 leagues. But it’s all too late to do that.
Lanarkshire isn’t massively populated for example, but you have Hamilton, Motherwell, Airdrie, Clyde Albion Rovers. 5 sides in Professional (despite more than half being semi pro), it’s crazy. And in those areas most of those areas will be Rangers and Celtic fans. And that’s the same up and down the country.
If the five clubs you mention there were playing at home (not v us or them) collectively you would be lucky if total of 7,000 fans were in attendance.
I'm no fan of wee Chesney but what he says is right.
Too many diddy clubs with two to four hundred fans turning out. I know people will say they have a following of diehards, so did Bury (only a lot more) Big changes needed.

He’s spot on. A quick look on Wikipedia and read this about football in Holland:

The Dutch football league system consists of two fully professional leagues (Eredivisie and Eerste Divisie), one semi-professional level (Tweede Divisie) and seven levels of amateur football leagues, the highest of which is called Derde Divisie, formerly Topklasse. All the leagues are connected by a promotion and relegation system, but in order to be promoted to the Eerste Divisie a club has to submit a solid business plan to be approved by the Royal Dutch Football Association, as well as meet certain stadium demands, and some other demands that the football association stated for all the teams in the top two leagues. That way it was possible that the IJsselmeervogels won the 2010–11 Topklasse, but was not promoted, because they did not want to be bound to these demands. FC Osswas promoted instead. The Football Association obliges every team from the two fully professional leagues to contract 16 players full-time, in order to keep these leagues fully professional. In 2016 Tweede Divisie was reintroduced as a semi-professional level and placed between the Eerste Divisie and the Derde Divisie.

Surely its something we could and should implement in this country. 2 leagues of professional teams that meet a strict standard. Semi-pro below that, those that are willing to step up and meet the criteria can be promoted
Cant ever see the Royal Scottish Football Association being in extistance in this polluted republican country, but we can dream:)

Not a huge fan of Strachan as a person.......but surely it would be better someone like him in charge of Scottish football than the Admin Assistant we have at the moment

Not a huge fan of Strachan as a person.......but surely it would be better someone like him in charge of Scottish football than the Admin Assistant we have at the moment
Definitely, theres enough scottish international’s that I believe could put old allegiances aside for the good of their game as they played in a different era to the poison now

That’s an eye opener!

That would just need tweaking of the SFA club licensing criteria.

I definitely think there's an argument for 2x16 and regional pyramid structure below that though.

But I also don't agree with Strachan that 'it isn't professional football' just because clubs are only bringing in 200 fans or work on a part-time basis. Attendances do not determine the application of the club, managers and players in setting up a football club or their level of professionalism.

Sure, they may have to live within their means but that doesn't mean that they aren't able to have the discipline required to train, diet, set up their squad and systems to some degree of professionalism.

It's like saying that because you own a corner shop you can't be a shop the same way Harrods is. For me it is a bit distasteful and derogatory from the imp towards some clubs who are trying their hardest to represent their towns and be a force of something positive in their communities.

If ever there was a time for making wholesale changes for the benefit of the game, it was during this pandemic. Agree with Strachan on his points but if he us going to say these things then his 1st port of call should have been at his employers door.

The lower league clubs are not interested in producing youngsters. They actually make old fat guys the mainstay of their team. Youth should be the beating heart of the lower leagues.

Someone will no doubt point out that we struggle to produce and promote youth to 1st team, but we give our kids a great platform and all the tools and support required, they are treated like kings.

Premier division of 18, First division of 16 then regionalise the rest.

Play each other home and away. Three down and two up automatically, then a play off for the third promotion spot.

You could still work a pyramid system into the First division.

Summer football. Sky or BT will take it on as we aren’t competing with anyone for games. Yes there’s less OF games but only playing them twice in the league makes the games even bigger. Less is more.
Scottish football needs a massive shake up. What I’ve suggested isn’t perfect and I’m sure there’s massive holes in it, but something needs to be done. There’s too many clubs for a country our size.
Not so sure about that. Golf, Wimbledon, cricket and athletics come to mind. I'd rather watch these than most of the dross that the scottish game has to offer.

Unless its rangers, I have no interest in watching the others.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the list of 22 full time clubs? Outwith the top flight, I'm sure a few clubs status has changed recently.
I believe it’s most of the top two divisions - excepting Alloa and Arbroath. With Falkirk and Raith full time in League One.

Putting the obvious irony aside he makes sense here, it's to be hoped that the messenger doesn't devalue what are some of the best comments made within the football community during this current crisis.
Still can't stand him though.

Play each other home and away. Three down and two up automatically, then a play off for the third promotion spot.

Summer football. Sky or BT will take it on as we aren’t competing with anyone for games. Yes there’s less OF games but only playing them twice in the league makes the games even bigger. Less is more.
Scottish football needs a massive shake up. What I’ve suggested isn’t perfect and I’m sure there’s massive holes in it, but something needs to be done. There’s too many clubs for a country our size.
I agree with most of this, if the 18 could include the traditional bigger clubs like Falkirk and Dundee it could work. There would be a number of hammerings though, handed out by us and them to the lowers teams. The TV companies would be likely to get another two Old Firm games from the cups.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this as a suggestion. It's better than what we currently have

He's not saying anything that has not been the case for a number of decades with no change. The possibility and likelyhood of any change in the future will be the legacy of covid-19

Back