Dundee to table proposal

Fake news from the Sun I think.

From the Courier (tonight 2236hrs):

Dundee set to vote against SPFL proposal

Dundee are set to vote against the SPFL plan to end the season early as Scottish football braces itself for one of the most momentous days in its history.

The Dark Blues will be right in the thick of it, with Courier Sport understanding managing director John Nelms will cast his team’s ballot against the proposal.

By 5pm on Friday, the nation’s clubs will have voted on the most important decision facing the game in this country in living memory.

The 42 sides have to decide whether or not to call a halt to the season for the Championship, League One and League Two. The Premiership’s fate will be frozen until April 23.

Should the green light be given, the placings in the other divisions will be decided on points per game accumulated before the shutdown.

That would see Dundee United lift the Championship title and Partick Thistle relegated, with Raith Rovers winning League One and Stranraer going down.

Cove Rangers will be League Two title winners if the proposals get the go-ahead, while bottom club Brechin City will be saved. The play-offs are on course to be scrapped.

The league has also committed to consulting with clubs over the possibility of league restructuring ahead of season 2020-21.

Going into Friday’s massive decision, the numbers are intriguing and the Dark Blues are key players.

In the Premiership, you need nine of the 12 clubs to back the resolution for it to be passed. Only two – Rangers and Hearts – have publicly confirmed they will vote no.

In Leagues One and Two, the requirement is for 15 of their 20 clubs to say yes. Falkirk and Stranraer are the only clear no voters there.

The Championship, however, is not so clear-cut. The vote for the resolution needs to be eight out of 10 in that division.

Bottom-placed Partick, as you would expect, were quick out of the blocks to say they would vote against.

The Dens men are set to join them, with their thinking being that they were confident of securing promotion through the play-offs, which will be scrapped if the curtain comes down now.

That leaves those against the proposal needing just one other member to block it and second-placed Inverness Caley Thistle are the prime candidate.

The Highlanders, probably more than most, could do with the cash injection from a prize money payout but the quandary is that they were heading into the prime play-off spot and may seek more reassurances regarding reconstruction before agreeing to back it.

Without that reassurance, Inverness are likely no voters, too, putting the whole SPFL plan in danger of collapse.

The likelihood, in that nightmare scenario for the powers-that-be, is for further concessions to be made regarding the future make-up of the divisions.

Last edited:
If you are going to have no promotion or relegation why would you need to declare title winners? I don't get it. Wouldn’t you just declare the season incomplete and have no winners or losers, just payments made - and Euro places decided - for where you were placed when the league was abandoned?

A very odd proposal that would only garner favour from a handful of clubs surely?

It would surprise me if there’s enough support for that to even get to a meaningful vote. Talk about wasting your time.

There’s an obsession with trying to award titles to teams who haven’t won them. Why do they need to be awarded?

If you are going to have no promotion or relegation why would you need to declare title winners? I don't get it. Wouldn’t you just declare the season incomplete and have no winners or losers, just payments made for where you were placed when the league was abandoned?

A very odd proposal that would only garner favour from a handful of clubs surely?

Don't think it is correct (see my Post No. 6).

Anything that stops the bheasts being handed the title and Tesco Utd coming up would be ideal.

Edit: Just my personal wish, i know Dundee don't care if the mentally challengeds get the title if it meant Utd stay down.

Every team is coming up with a proposal that suits them.

This is why Uefa should be showing leadership here.

I said exactly the same on twitter earlier today. There are going to be 3 camps in any domestic league: those teams negatively impacted, those teams who don’t care, those teams positively impacted.

UEFA should be making a blanket ruling for all clubs and then we just need to suck it up whatever it is.

Otherwise we are going to watch this spin out in the courts and any money due to be distributed will be burned plus some.

That leaves those against the proposal needing just one other member to block it and second-placed Inverness Caley Thistle are the prime candidate.

The Highlanders, probably more than most, could do with the cash injection from a prize money payout but the quandary is that they were heading into the prime play-off spot and may seek more reassurances regarding reconstruction before agreeing to back it.

That part there is why this whole proposal fûcking stinks.

The authorities are banking on clubs being that desperate for cash that they will just vote the proposal through regardless of what they may stand to lose long term.

Then if dangling the financial carrot fails, they are offering them the possibility of league restructuring.

It’s nothing more than bribery.

The thing that sticks out a mile for me is absolutely every single idea, proposal, vote etc is entirely influenced by money and self preservation and not one ounce of sporting integrity.

Just look at all the leagues in England below the 5th tier.
Little money floating about and a decision(every result expunged) was made entirely in the interests of the sport.

“Sporting integrity”, don't let the mentally challengeds ever utter those two words again

Last edited:
They just want to %^*& over their Dundee rivals don’t they lol

In that sense I appreciate the sentiment of this, even if it has absolutely no chance of success.

Total GIRFUY manoeuvre.

We have to accept that the scum will win the league this season. Complete the league and they will win, average points per game they will win. The likelyhood is that the SPL will just complete the season as it stands, bowing to Lawell.

Let's just give them the league. It will be an embarrassment to their fans, despite what they will say outwardly. It's also not a real 9 in-a-row. Don't give a shit what they say, they didn't win 9. Game over, f uck them. Time we played them at their game

You might as well table a couple of moon howler proposals to make the other one look good;

We have to accept that the scum will win the league this season. Complete the league and they will win, average points per game they will win. The likelyhood is that the SPL will just complete the season as it stands, bowing to Lawell.

Let's just give them the league. It will be an embarrassment to their fans, despite what they will say outwardly. It's also not a real 9 in-a-row. Don't give a shit what they say, they didn't win 9. Game over, f uck them. Time we played them at their game

Nothing is an embarrassment for them. If child abuse isn’t, a tainted title certainly won’t be.

I wouldn’t give them to steam off my pish.

No fucking way do we surrender.

That sun article contains lies, no surprise it's opened by:

• Robert Grieve
  • Kenny MacDonald

Last edited:
“the most important decision facing the game in this country in living memory.”

Certainly isn’t. I’d wager that the decision to put us in the bottom league was far more important and the consequences are still being felt today, in the hate filled boardrooms of Scottish football.

Give them nothing.

Back