Dundee Utd latest club to moan about VAR

Trueblue82

Official Ticketer
Dundee United are seeking an urgent meeting with Scottish Premiership clubs, the Scottish FA and referees' representatives to discuss VAR.

United are angry with the penalty award against them in Saturday's 1-1 draw at home to St Mirren.
The club has already contacted Crawford Allan, the SFA's head of referee's operations, asking for an explanation.

And the league's bottom club want the SPFL to facilitate a wider conversation on the implementation of VAR.

United are in the process of submitting their request in writing, citing inconsistencies and a lack of clarity over decisions.

Referee Craig Napier gave St Mirren a penalty when striker Curtis Main went down under a challenge from Loick Ayina, with a lengthy delay for VAR checks and Napier not being asked to review the incident on the pitch-side monitor.

It left Jim Goodwin exasperated, with the United manager saying: "The longer the VAR check goes on, the more you think they won't give it.

"Clearly there isn't enough contact there to make it obvious.

"I have seen two angles and I am struggling to see anything. It's not a penalty. To lose that goal in that manner is extremely hard to take."

BBC Sportscene pundit Richard Foster described the penalty as "a nonsense", saying "Main just throws himself to the ground, if there's any contact, it's minimal".

The Tannadice club has twice appealed against VAR-related red cards this season, succeeding in getting Tony Watt's dismissal overturned, but failing to do the same with Ryan Edwards.

BBC Scotland has approached the SFA and SPFL for comment.

I haven't seen the incident they're complaining about but there does seem to be a suggestion from Dundee's end that Curtis Main went down too easily. Jim Goodwin's Aberdeen were, along with many others in the league, prone to going down at the slightest touch particularly at Ibrox, so f**k 'em all, only increases my desire to keep VAR.

Watched a few times tough one to call but the striker looks pretty sure hes been fouled, if it was a dive it was a beauty..... think Utd are just on the way out and looking for someone to blame.

Remember the refs told everyone VAR was gonna help with the pressure..:))

Just seen it and it's not obvious either way. The referee gave the penalty, so unless there's something obvious to say it's a dive, VAR can't overturn it. If the referee hadn't given the penalty, VAR couldn't have given one. Again it seems people just want to blame VAR for shite refereeing.

Another report that shows people still don’t have a clue how VAR works.

“with a lengthy delay for VAR checks and Napier not being asked to review the incident on the pitch-side monitor.”

He is only going to be asked to review it on screen if the VAR ref thinks it’s a clear and obvious error. Without VAR it was still a penalty as the ref had given it anyway.

VAR will be scrapped in Scotland within the next few years and they’ll claim its due to the money.

Wouldnt even surprise me if its gone by next season.
If that the case the we should be looking for a way out , no point playing as the Tim's will just wrap up everything as the officials are terrified to give anything against them especially at the knew camp, look at the amount of players that has been sent off against them over the years , as the hammer throwers get away with murder against us & that's with VAR , they just don't get decisions going against them at the knew camp , when was the last time they had a player sent off at home .

The problem is VAR was meant to intervene for clear and obvious errors

If the check takes more than 5 seconds it’s not clear or obvious - play on

Instead we have referees begging for a few more minutes in the spotlight to the detriment of the game. Its a farce all over Europe

Watched a few times tough one to call but the striker looks pretty sure hes been fouled, if it was a dive it was a beauty..... think Utd are just on the way out and looking for someone to blame.

Remember the refs told everyone VAR was gonna help with the pressure..:))
looks to me like Main runs in from behind the defender, clips him and then throws himself to the ground...

Napier not being asked to review the incident on the pitch-side monitor.
Like I’ve said elsewhere. It’s not the technology that’s the issue. It’s its use! A lengthy delay was had apparently, but the ref wasn’t asked to review it.

Either play continues while the chip Van think about it, or the ref is asked to reload using the tech! Surely it’s that simple?! Of course the issue with the tech is that there isn’t enough of it to cover all of the angles.

Is it trial by Richard foster now?
I haven't seen the incident they're complaining about but there does seem to be a suggestion from Dundee's end that Curtis Main went down too easily. Jim Goodwin's Aberdeen were, along with many others in the league, prone to going down at the slightest touch particularly at Ibrox, so f**k 'em all, only increases my desire to keep VAR.
Andy Walker would say if there's contact he is entitled to fold like a pack of cards.Unless it benefits a Rangers player But then Andy is a total walloper.

Are clubs thick, did they think VAR was AI?

Penalties and red cards are subjective, even Motherwells redon sat split opinion on here FFS.

Do we really need to go through this pantomime every time a VAR decision goes against a team.

Already bored of it.
It’s what Scottish football thrives on, radio stations, highlights shows, papers and now social media care more about the trivial garbage than the actual sport. It’s said constantly but Scotland really is a million miles away from real football

Won’t happen - it’s here to stay.

Scottish refs don’t get the CL, Europa & Conference League jollies otherwise - no European Championship or World Cup games either.

A small price to pay to see their beloved win trophy after trophy with nothing stopping them...

How many times did Motherwell players go down when they felt a breath on their necks and got a foul? Hand to cantwell's face was a yellow all day long regardless of what Dick Foster said about that foul!

Dundee United are seeking an urgent meeting with Scottish Premiership clubs, the Scottish FA and referees' representatives to discuss VAR.

United are angry with the penalty award against them in Saturday's 1-1 draw at home to St Mirren.
The club has already contacted Crawford Allan, the SFA's head of referee's operations, asking for an explanation.

And the league's bottom club want the SPFL to facilitate a wider conversation on the implementation of VAR.

United are in the process of submitting their request in writing, citing inconsistencies and a lack of clarity over decisions.

Referee Craig Napier gave St Mirren a penalty when striker Curtis Main went down under a challenge from Loick Ayina, with a lengthy delay for VAR checks and Napier not being asked to review the incident on the pitch-side monitor.

It left Jim Goodwin exasperated, with the United manager saying: "The longer the VAR check goes on, the more you think they won't give it.

"Clearly there isn't enough contact there to make it obvious.

"I have seen two angles and I am struggling to see anything. It's not a penalty. To lose that goal in that manner is extremely hard to take."

BBC Sportscene pundit Richard Foster described the penalty as "a nonsense", saying "Main just throws himself to the ground, if there's any contact, it's minimal".

The Tannadice club has twice appealed against VAR-related red cards this season, succeeding in getting Tony Watt's dismissal overturned, but failing to do the same with Ryan Edwards.

BBC Scotland has approached the SFA and SPFL for comment.

Get doon and stay doon ya Arab Bastards.

He is possibly the biggest prick to appear on Sportscene if not St least on par with Michael Stewart
Yes and that takes some doing , especially on a show packed with them.
Seem to recall they had Shelley Kerr on once or twice, I knew she wouldn't last though, not critical enough of all things Rangers and didn't blow enough smoke up bheast backsides.

Can't they see it's the clowns in charge of VAR that's the problem. We've had years and years of incompetent refs and linesmen cheating and guessing their way through games. It's no coincidence that they have been cheating so long they have forgotten the rules and how to be impartial and see the incidents through neutral and learned eyes. It would be great to see and hear how VAR refs come to their decisions. They see what they want to see and make decision to benefit certain teams. It looks like they don't want to be transparent and just hide behind the screens. Sadly the referees are polluted by cheating bigots and incompetent clowns. That's the problem.

It's a threat to the green and greys dominance. All their little minions are helping to peddle their narrative.

Wish someone could just simply speak to all the clubs and try to make them aware that it's not actually VAR that's the issue.
It's our part time jokers and the implementation of the rules and I suppose a few (1) club who no matter what , don't want it.

Kind of misleading - they are complaining that VAR wasn't brought in to ask the ref to go to the monitor to review his decision to award a spot kick.

As we always knew most of the problems in our implementation of VAR would be of the human nature side and that has certainly been the case.

Amateur hour stuff but are any of us surprised?

Kind of misleading - they are complaining that VAR wasn't brought in to ask the ref to go to the monitor to review his decision to award a spot kick.

As we always knew most of the problems in our implementation of VAR would be of the human nature side and that has certainly been the case.

Amateur hour stuff but are any of us surprised?
But he only gets called to the monitor if there's clear evidence he got his original decision wrong. The replays are inconclusive. I still have no idea what happened but I can't say for sure it was a dive.

VAR will be scrapped in Scotland within the next few years and they’ll claim its due to the money.

Wouldnt even surprise me if its gone by next season.
Unless they want to make Scottish football even more of a backwater and laughing stock, that won't happen. The technology clearly works, but it's only as good as the people operating it. It's just showing up what has been evident for a long time. The officiating in Scotland is diabolical. I wasn't a fan of VAR being implemented, but it's here to stay.

Unless they want to make Scottish football even more of a backwater and laughing stock, that won't happen. The technology clearly works, but it's only as good as the people operating it. It's just showing up what has been evident for a long time. The officiating in Scotland is diabolical. I wasn't a fan of VAR being implemented, but it's here to stay.

Scottish football seems to pride itself on being tinpot though, the whole game is an embarrassment up here and its wonder its headed for the gutter.

We knew there'd be teething problems but the fact so many clubs / ex players / fans etc want rid of it shows how much of a shitey backwater Scottish football really is.

Back