Dutch Football

Why didn't Ajax play this weekend, anyone know?
Think it’s because they play Real Madrid this week was over in Amsterdam for the weekend and was thinking of going to the game bit of a bummer but got my son the Ajax top €89 with de jong and his number on the back :eek: but what a stadium the Arena is absolutely magnificent

How has GvB fared at Feyenoord this season?

Linked with us before we announced Steven Gerrard. Was one I wasn't too sure about. Obviously done well lifting the Eredivise with Feyenoord but I had my doubts on him.

I’ve a bit of a soft spot for Vitesse, as I have family from Arnhem. Seem to be doing well, by their standard, this year.

*comes on Dutch football thread. Finds posters arguing/discussing who they like/don't based on which teams are Catholic or not. Repeatedly slams head off wall*

Just realised I’ll be in Amsterdam on 5th May. Ajax are playing Willem in the Dutch cup final that weekend.
Anyone know if there will be any fan zones anything specific in Amsterdam to watch the game? Is there a chance they’ll open up the Amsterdam arena?

In what way?

I'm not a Celtic fan so I don't have an in-depth working knowledge of opposition finances.

How far off are Celtic from that figure generally?

The Netherlands is a small country but they've got about 17 million people to our roughly 5.5 million.
Celtc wouldve made a massive loss this season without selling Dembele. They need CL money to make any profit, they have a £60m wage bill.

Ajax are a great run club, don't over spend, sell for huge profits and invest heavily in developing their youth set up. We could learn so much from them.

Ajax are a great run club, don't over spend, sell for huge profits and invest heavily in developing their youth set up. We could learn so much from them.
That’s the way we’re going hopefully.

I watched the Alkass international cup and was blown away by the talent in our team. We were so comfortable on the ball and it was strange to see teams like Roma sitting off of us and letting us have possession.

David McCallum the youth coach was saying they’ve instilled belief in the players that they can take the initiative in games. If Ajax and Barca youths can do it, why can’t we?

We also pumped the Japanese team who put Real Madrid out, with a score line of 5-1.

We seriously have a real top class pool of talent coming through now. McPake, Mebude and Kennedy to name a few. Exciting times ahead, I’m just hoping they can make the transition to the first team.

That’s the way we’re going hopefully.

I watched the Alkass international cup and was blown away by the talent in our team. We were so comfortable on the ball and it was strange to see teams like Roma sitting off of us and letting us have possession.

David McCallum the youth coach was saying they’ve instilled belief in the players that they can take the initiative in games. If Ajax and Barca youths can do it, why can’t we?

We also pumped the Japanese team who put Real Madrid out, with a score line of 5-1.

We seriously have a real top class pool of talent coming through now. McPake, Mebude and Kennedy to name a few. Exciting times ahead, I’m just hoping they can make the transition to the first team.

I don't know how true this is but from my questionable memory, we've always done relatively well at that level and then our players tend to fall away between 18-21 and the transition stage to the first team. If we play a team like Ajax at 15s level, we beat them or give them a game. If we played the same team then against the same Ajax guys at 20, it's no question a win for the Dutch.

They have just sold Frenkie de Jong to Barcelona for €75m (with potentially €11m in add-ons) - we would never attract a fee like that for any player from our academy. That is a massive difference.

I'm sure I read recently that they had spent £130m in the last 3 years and recouped £110m.

Just realised I’ll be in Amsterdam on 5th May. Ajax are playing Willem in the Dutch cup final that weekend.
Anyone know if there will be any fan zones anything specific in Amsterdam to watch the game? Is there a chance they’ll open up the Amsterdam arena?
Not heard anything yet, but there will be lots of brown cafes with events on which will be just as much fun. Café de Amstel in de Rivierenbuurt is probably a good bet for a good time.

LtOwAlU.png

I started a thread on the blackout ban impacting last night's game.

Anyone interested in watching this Ajax team can watch them on Premier Sport 1 before the Champions League games tonight.

Ajax have got a 6.30pm local kick off time while that thread had about 20 replies saying it wasn't a good idea.

Maybe the only difference is that it's a league game and we couldn't do it with the threat of extra time and penalties.

They have just sold Frenkie de Jong to Barcelona for €75m (with potentially €11m in add-ons) - we would never attract a fee like that for any player from our academy. That is a massive difference.

I'm sure I read recently that they had spent £130m in the last 3 years and recouped £110m.

They signed him from Willem II, he didn't come through their academy (in that sense). A closer equivalent is probably Wilson going to Liverpool for £5 million - if he kicked on there and moved on for a huge fee later. Albeit we're not in the same league as Liverpool but it's the closest equivalent I can think of.

Thought this was an interesting read given what's going on with the club and the Union Bears:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAK410

The VAK410 (Dutch, "Section 410") was a Dutch Ultras group associated with AFC Ajax. The name comes from the name of their initial stand in Ajax's home stadium, the Amsterdam Arena.[1][2]

Background

VAK410 was founded on 26 January 2001 by fanatic supporters of the club who were tired of being on the waiting list for the already existing hooligan firm F-side. On that day, young Ajacied Karel organized the first meeting of the group's in the Amstel Cup home match against SBV Vitesse in row 114. The match resulted in a 1–2 loss. However, the club took a positive stance towards the initiative to create more of an atmosphere in the North side of the stadium, and so VAK410 was born.[3]

Originally known as the Ajax Ultras, with ajaxultras.nl being the official website, the group relocated to row 415 on 11 February 2001 ahead of the home match against Willem II, right next to the "Away row" for visiting supporters. Ajax' fanzine De Ajax Ster, otherwise known as DAS, reported on the development of the row, despite the low turnout of the ultras during the match. However, two weeks later, on 25 February 2001, the group celebrated its first big success when a large gathering managed to silence the visiting crowd during the home match against FC Utrecht.[4]

The first match in their current location in the stadium, from which they took the name VAK410, was held on 19 August 2001, at which point the group had approximately 400 members. Considered one of the most famous Tifosi groups in the sport, the group considered itself to be an ultra fan group, and it distanced itself from hooliganism.[5]

The group dissolved in the summer of 2016, after disagreements with Ajax Amsterdam's management, over the decision of the club's board to move them away from their years long location at VAK 410 of the Amsterdam Arena.[6]

nHWMMVZ.png

PSV keeping the pressure on Ajax with another away win and 86th minute goal. I'm still hopeful that this is what we're building towards and how our league table should look next season.

Two teams fighting it out on a week by week basis.

Anyone else a fan?

Inspired by the thread on football in Argentina (I'm never learning the difference between Argentine and Argentinian) I thought that we could get one going for the Eredivisise, the Eerste Divisie and hopefully the occasional update about Mols fighting guys in the gym.

Wztr1F3.png

It's been one of the closest/strongest starts to a season from the big three in a few years.

Feyenoord are obviously a bit behind the top two but you can't blame them looking at those levels of consistency.

I'm watching the games in Dutch (with a view to picking up the language or at least Crocker-esque nonsense if that's what they're spouting). I'm sure that there's bound to be a few of you on here living in the Netherlands. One of the best things about the Argentina thread is the occasional local update on things like politics, history or historical/important games if someone living locally can take that up.

I think as a club, we've got a bit of a connection to the Dutch game through Advocaat, Numan, Mols, De Boer, Gio and a few others. There may be other connections for some people but for me that's where it started and hasn't yet stopped. Whenever Scotland weren't good enough to qualify for a tournament, Holland were my second team.

oranje1.jpg

As an introduction to Dutch football, I can't rate this book highly enough:

281299.jpg

He's quite clearly biased in favour of Ajax (and Amsterdam) but then most people who saw Cruyff and have ever visited the most interesting city in Europe probably are. And if you're biased in favour of Amsterdam and Cruyff, then this is another couple of good books to get reading:

61DzCQbswvL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

71FKVKJ6ENL._SX303_BO1,204,203,200_.gif

And if nothing else, if Rangers are playing while you're in Amsterdam and you can multi-task, you can probably watch us in the Satellite Sports Cafe in Leidseplein.

satellite-sports-cafe.jpg
the one thing ive always found funny is dutch fans sing alot of their songs in english.

I think I read online that 90% of them speak English so not too surprising.

Germany was at about 50% of the population.

I've fallen away from contributing to this thread a bit but there's a big game on Sunday that isn't ours.

6EPRPfb.png

8U8VdB7.png
yeah most do speak english mate. but my point being they do still have their own dutch language so whether or not they speak english well its just funny to hear as its not an original english language speaking country.

Things getting very interesting now.

PSV come back from a goal down three times, scoring two penalties, including one in the 90th minute to draw 3-3 at Vitesse and have now blown what was once a healthy lead.

Table now reads

Ajax - P. 29, Pts. 71, GD. +74
PSV - P. 29, Pts, 71, GD. +65

Five games of the season left

Reactions: LD5
Things getting very interesting now.

PSV come back from a goal down three times, scoring two penalties, including one in the 90th minute to draw 3-3 at Vitesse and have now blown what was once a healthy lead.

Table now reads

Ajax - P. 29, Pts. 71, GD. +74
PSV - P. 29, Pts, 71, GD. +65

Five games of the season left
They've been about 8 points clear a couple of times.

PSV keeping the pressure on today.

I genuinely think we're quite close to having a neck and neck title race next season.

The problem is our fans utterly chucked it at 8 points behind. Ajax fell behind like that twice and kept their positivity up. Bayern did a similar thing in Germany.

An extended European run helping obviously in Ajax's case.

was at the PSV - De Graafschap game today, you could feel the tension among the fans when DG went in at half time 1-0 up, De Jong cold have scored 6 goals today easily but had to settle for the winner with 15 mins to go

2-1 finish

Stadium and fans seemed a little bit soulless, only noise came from the away section.

Ajax survive a late onslaught and penalty scare to pick up the three points. Players and coaching staff celebrating as much as they were when they beat Juve midweek.

PSV haven't arranged a tour of Japan and the KNVB haven't made Ajax play this week to suit them for it.

It'd be mental if they did. Really small time behaviour.

Games have been re-arranged to allow Ajax to prepare for semi final , season will now finish later . It has been seen by most as a positive thing mainly due to the coefficient which will ( IIRC ) see the champions go straight into the group stages of the CL from season after next , think I read it somewhere but can`t remember where though .

Some other fans have objected but fuck em

Games have been re-arranged to allow Ajax to prepare for semi final , season will now finish later . It has been seen by most as a positive thing mainly due to the coefficient which will ( IIRC ) see the champions go straight into the group stages of the CL from season after next , think I read it somewhere but can`t remember where though .

Some other fans have objected but fuck em

Nice to see your dulcet tones make an appearance, been a while.

Fair play to PSV for managing to keep pace with that Ajax team. Admittedly I've only watched Ajax in the Champions League but they look a terrific young side.

Fair play to PSV for managing to keep pace with that Ajax team. Admittedly I've only watched Ajax in the Champions League but they look a terrific young side.
It was the other way round. PSV had a massive lead twice in the last 5 months and Ajax have clawed it back.

Back