Early lasting memories

goldson bollocks

Sitting watching old firm games of us V them, the Graham Roberts goalkeeping game comes on and memories come right back to me, 7 years old sound asleep in my bed, my dad comes home from the game after the pub blootered, wakes me up and describes as much of that game to me as he could, from red cards to goals and Roberts conducting the crowd, being a wee guy I just lay there and hung on his every word. Never forget it and probably could've been one of the reasons I got hooked on the Rangers...cheers Da.

2 of mine, going to primary school and never meeting anyone that supported Celtic seemed to be something that just didn’t happen. Had to wait till secondary before I found someone that did. Second was getting my uncles spare season ticket book and watching Rino Gattuso and thinking this boy looks pretty good very quick, oh ! And the old season ticket book Before the smart card

My first ever memory of being taken to a game at Ibrox. I was 4 years old. A Glasgow Cup Final against Clyde (we won 2-0) and the referee had to call on the police to take a Clyde player ( Albert Murphy) off the field. He had been ordered off and was refusing to go. I've never forgotten it.

One of the first things I can remember is Joe Miller missing a penalty and having to listen on the radio.

When I used to get my grandads ticket, I went through exit 13 in the Govan stand. Without being a regular for 15 years my Club72 ticket also goes through exit 13. Every time I pass through, I feel as if my late grandad is standing behind me.

The 92/93 Champions League campaign. Couch dragged across the living room, right in front of the telly. Me, my brother and my dad (for the away games, he went to the home ones). Light off, mum bringing us snacks and drinks. I was 8 / 9, and I've got memories of wee moments before then, but that season and those nights were when I properly fell in love with the Rangers. Magical.

Last edited:
The 92/93 Champions League campaign. Couch dragged across the living room, right in front of the telly. Me, my brother and my dad (for the away games, he went to the home ones). Light off, mum bringing us snacks and drinks. I was 9, and I've got memories of wee moments before then, but that season and those nights were when I properly fell in love with the Rangers. Magical.
I really hope you used to shout are the snacks not fucking here yet:))

• Haha
Reactions: TN8
The 92/93 Champions League campaign. Couch dragged across the living room, right in front of the telly. Me, my brother and my dad (for the away games, he went to the home ones). Light off, mum bringing us snacks and drinks. I was 8 / 9, and I've got memories of wee moments before then, but that season and those nights were when I properly fell in love with the Rangers. Magical.
listened to the home game v Leeds that season on the tranny with my da, bears scored my da was screaming going mental, for some reason I could hardly breathe and ended up bursting into tears...Still a memory I'll never forget.

Leaving Ibrox at 70 minutes as a five year old to get an ice cream and subway with my fellow subway loyal

Before my dad could really afford to take me to Ibrox, I used to rely on the radio and Scotsport etc, remember sitting with my headphones in listening to any game that I could, covering my room in all manner of Rangers posters from the Rangers news, which my mum managed to buy for me every week. The beginning of an amazing journey following Rangers.

This is my earliest Rangers memory.

Being 3 or 4 but not really knowing anything about football and asking my dad what he was watching on tv what and what team he wanted to win.

He replied “Rangers”

So I made up my mind there and then that I wanted Rangers to win too.

From that moment I was hooked (athough I suspect there might have been a few subtle and not so subtle suggestions to get me to follow follow).

Thanks Dad

Glens v Rangers Belfast 1967.

Met the team outside the Midland Hotel beside the train station just up the road from our house.

Told we Willie he was the best player in the world and he said I knew my fitba.:))

Scot Symon gave me a badge and my eyes lit up.

Rangers fans arrived in their hundreds off the trains and were very generous as I was wearing my scarf. Lots of carry oots as well.

Walked with them down York Street where I lived only to see a few brave earls shout abuse at Lancaster Street. Little did they know several Glaswegians would chase them down and give them a right doin'.

My da was ecstatic when I told him .

Good times.

One of my first memories was sitting with my Da watching Willie Johnston standing on McMaster's neck. I think it was the first time I had ever seen a red card thst wasnt on the telly.

Davie Cooper testimonial. A massive bear ( seemed that way to a 10 year old me) pulling me and my old boy in near the front of the queue for the Broomloan rear.

sitting on the wee white wall at the front of the enclosure with my brother and cousins digging up wee insects from the red ash then burying them again, that and playing tig as the enclosure was empty.

My dad had a photo of Davie Cooper up in the garage where he used to smoke. Home games in the NTL era and away games in the front room my dad roaring shouting and biting his nails, listening to european games on the radio.. Sadly he never got to see us as chanpions again but I sit in his bond seat so like to think he'll be there with me when we lift it this season :)).

The first final my dad took me to and the first time I seen us against the tims is probably my earliest lasting memory, the 3-2 Scottish cup final against them when lovenkrands scored the last minute winner

Normally really shy, 5/6 Years old, on my way to Primary school, marched up to Derek Parlane's door in Rhu and asking him for an autograph. 'wait here wee man' comes back a minute later with a sheet of the whole teams signatures on Rangers letterheaded paper. Was quite special, no printers or photocopies back then.

Odd 1989s memories…

Reading through Rangers programmes at my mate’s house and even from that being drawn to Cooper, Durrant & McCoist.

A photocopy of Rangers players autographs that some lucky sod in our primary school had the original of. The boy’s dad made loads of copies for him to give to his mates at school.

Walking to Sunday School at about 9am on a Sunday morning with my mates and signing The Billy Boys as we wandered through staunch Clarkston B-)

Me & my mates watching the 1986 League Cup final in one room, roaring Rangers on. My old man sitting in the other room on his own supporting the other team!

I remember making an arse of myself when I went to my first game, aged 7. When the ballboys ran out ahead of the teams, I turned to my dad, puzzled, and said: 'I thought it was men that played'. He's never let me forget it.

Another early memory was Quinton Young almost scoring with an overhead kick. I suspect it was the first time I'd seen someone do one.

Not that early, but Porrini always use to throw his legs over his head when lying down to warm up.

Always intrigued me.

Sitting watching old firm games of us V them, the Graham Roberts goalkeeping game comes on and memories come right back to me, 7 years old sound asleep in my bed, my dad comes home from the game after the pub blootered, wakes me up and describes as much of that game to me as he could, from red cards to goals and Roberts conducting the crowd, being a wee guy I just lay there and hung on his every word. Never forget it and probably could've been one of the reasons I got hooked on the Rangers...cheers Da.
I remember that was my first season going to games and not being allowed to go to the match because I was "too young" to go to Old Firm games.

My dad must have talked my mum round because I was allowed to go to them the next season and so my first Old Firm game was the 5-1 at Ibrox in August 1988.

That match, the goals and the result, blew my tiny little 8 year old mind.

Sitting in the main stand and having to switch seats with my dad because the guy next to me would start smoking - would have been around 64 before we moved to East Kilbride in 65 due to new access road for clyde tunnel being built.

My dad coming in from his work with 2 tickets he got off Jim Stewart for the game against St Mirren in 87 where we got presented with league.

Had already been a lot that season but my dad had said it might be hard to get tickets for game such as magnitude of it.

Was absolutely buzzing and al week at school i could not stop thinking about it - and even now i can still remember the buzz i had as an 8 year old.

sitting on the wee white wall at the front of the enclosure with my brother and cousins digging up wee insects from the red ash then burying them again, that and playing tig as the enclosure was empty.

Same as myself.
Or sitting on the wee wall with my feet on the red ash track and plod coming along and nudging my feet to get me off the wall.
First place dad would take me when getting into the stadium was to look at the police horses at the back of the enclosure where the were all tied up in the area that ran along the back of the enclosure.
Sometimes if the horses were not there our players would be doing a warm up before the game.

Me and my mate were on our way home from our primary school which was just on the edge of Ardoyne in Belfast . We passed a group of workies on a building site.
One asked us as we were passing them did we see that great game last week?( European Cup Final ‘67). So we actually had a group of grown men taunting two 8/9 year old boys coming out of a Protestant primary school.

I wasn’t a cheeky kid but I remember telling the one mouthy big brute to watch the match tonight (ECWC final ‘67 ) and he’d see a good team. Of course me and my pal were off like the clappers before the “hero’s” had a chance to grab us.

I really was devastated with the result that night. It was probably the first time i’d watched a live Rangers game on TV. Other than the goals from games we didn’t get a lot of Scottish football in those days.

Earliest footballing memories are the whole Mexico 86 World Cup and us winning the 86/87 league cup against the filth

Earliest Rangers memory is McCoist's overhead kick against Hibs in the League Cup Final.

Must've only been 4 years old but can just remember seeing it on a small television in my Grandfathers kitchen.

Earliest Rangers memories are having the home kit before the CR Smith one, knowing Rangers were the good guys, Super Ally was my hero, and having the 1985 Panini sticker book as my reference. No clear memories of watching games in the 80s though. I didn't really enjoy watching games until about 8 years old, around the 1990 World Cup. But before that I remember my dad having Scotsport on, any time a team in blue was on I'd be like "Is that Rangers?". I remember being furious/upset one day because Celtic had just won something (I reckon probably 1988 Scottish Cup) and to my 6-7 year old mind it felt like they were always winning and the Celtic supporters in school were always rubbing it in. Fortunately, that wouldn't last long. As I started to really get into football, at the end of 89-90, I remember scenes on TV of us seeing out our last game of the season (2-0 win v Dunfermline at Ibrox? Souness last appearance as a player?) as champions. Then I watched them lose on penalties to Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup Final. After that, there always seemed to be a couple of token Celtic fans in school, but for pretty much the rest of my school years they were firmly in the minority with %^*& all to celebrate. Good times.

Back