Early memories of being a bear

Tommy1656

My earliest was being about 3 or 4 maybe older and my uncle Billy bringing me in a pair of old football boots from the barras when I stayed in wee gordon st in Clydebank which were about 3 sizes too big, my granny made me a wee ranger top a blue jumper with the white v neck sewn round it a thought a was the bees knees running about the back court kicking a big bladder with the mginns,gormleys,Connollys all wee tims but I was born to love Glasgow Rangers.
When got older was taken to games by big Jimmy greaves from the faifley who used to lift me over every other saturday,getting half day on the Friday when I was older so you could get supporters bus to Aberdeen game has been an amazing time ,unfortunately cannot go now as pòor mobility.
Have so many memories good times and some not so good but all worthwhile and met so many amazing people. Must be hundreds of stories let's hear them.
WATP

going into Lodge Corkerhill pre-match and once, in around 6 or so years getting a game of pool.
Post-match at corkerhill sitting in my uncle's car while him and my dad got pissed, they'd hand out the occasional crisps/coke.

sitting on the white wall at the enclosure digging up bugs in the red ash.

Last edited:
Getting this weird collage type Rangers T-shirt with Follow Follow written all over it, and my Uncle Billy threatening to drive up the Falls and let me out. (For a laugh, he’s a good staunch man my Uncle Billy)

At a game v Stranraer in 1988, think we won 8-0.

I cheered an offside goal (too young to understand the rule) and it must have been an early flag as I think i was the only one in the stand that did and my old man looked mortified :(:D

my favourite time was when the edmiston club had snooker tables upstairs, we'd always get a table after a game. Loved that with more coke/crisps :)

Remember going to see a game against Juventus and my Dad lifted me over the turnstiles, felt magic so it did. Bring back the half height turnstile.

My earliest was being about 3 or 4 maybe older and my uncle Billy bringing me in a pair of old football boots from the barras when I stayed in wee gordon st in Clydebank which were about 3 sizes too big, my granny made me a wee ranger top a blue jumper with the white v neck sewn round it a thought a was the bees knees running about the back court kicking a big bladder with the mginns,gormleys,Connollys all wee tims but I was born to love Glasgow Rangers.
When got older was taken to games by big Jimmy greaves from the faifley who used to lift me over every other saturday,getting half day on the Friday when I was older so you could get supporters bus to Aberdeen game has been an amazing time ,unfortunately cannot go now as pòor mobility.
Have so many memories good times and some not so good but all worthwhile and met so many amazing people. Must be hundreds of stories let's hear them.
WATP
Great wee story Tommy

Those wee cars behind the goals at Ibrox and the scoreboard with the men manually changing the scores

Getting picked up by the late poster on here Remember the wink at Cambuslang main street. Five adults in the seats and three of us kids in the boot of his estate for a Reserve game at Cappielow.

Hooked from there on in.

This sounds ridiculous but one of the earliest dreams I can remember was of me being in the Rangers dressing room, everybody celebrating, Graeme Souness passing round a cup and me getting to drink from it!

The mad thing is, I would only have been about 5 when he was the manager!

Sitting in the motor with my bro outside a variety of pubs in Brigton, with a bottle of ginger and crisps, while my Da and uncle were having a few beers before heading to Ibrox and yes, the two of them half pished which was regular back in the day.
I'm sure my Da wasn't the only one drink driving back in the 60's.

WATP
It was my uncle Billy from the Port that took me to my first Rangers game at Hampden. Morton 0-5 Rangers and he was a Morton supporter.:))

Watching Rangers vs Leeds with my dad and brother in our living room.

Remeber we always abroad for my birthday as its in school summer holidays.getting the 8 in a row kit for my 7th birthday and my uncle started to taking me to games round about then remember him getting us there early and just being amazed seeing Ibrox and walking down the steps seeing the stadium still get the same feeling now as i did then.walking down paisley road at seen the the glass staircases still gets me every time.really cant wait to pass that on to my kids one day

No idea if my memory’s playing tricks on me for some of these but definitely getting lifted over, sitting on my dads knee in the back of a transit van going to games (H&S?), the wee blue ‘invalid’ cars sitting on the ash track. Oh and sitting outside the pub in the car while he got his pre & post match ‘1 pint, honestly’ ;)
More recently but still distant is sitting in the Centenary stand on wooden benches with my old man and big brother.
I may have made this up but does anyone remember fans storming the building site when the ‘Govan Stand’ was being built? I think we were playing Aberdeen and I remember the fans came in, got chased out, came back in etc all through the game.

90's being put on my dads shoulders in the club deck when we scored and absolutely bricking it that i was going to fall off the fucker. He done it for every goal! Cant believe i was 21 at the time.

My earliest memories are of travelling alone as a 6 year old to Ibrox.
Would be illegal today I'm sure, but my Grandpa would encourage me to
"get oan the bus (no 12, I lived in Toryglen at the terminus), get aff at the terminus (St Enoch), and follow the scarves on tae the Subway, and get aff when everybody else does at Copland Road,
follow them, and get a lift o'er into the game"
When I asked him for money for bus/subway fare, his reply was
"Nae need, tell the conductor yer 4 years old".

My earliest memories are of travelling alone as a 6 year old to Ibrox.
Would be illegal today I'm sure, but my Grandpa would encourage me to
"get oan the bus (no 12, I lived in Toryglen at the terminus), get aff at the terminus (St Enoch), and follow the scarves on tae the Subway, and get aff when everybody else does at Copland Road,
follow them, and get a lift o'er into the game"
When I asked him for money for bus/subway fare, his reply was
"Nae need, tell the conductor yer 4 years old".

Kids nowadays need to be at high-school before parents even let them leave their own street:))

Great story

Earliest memory for me was watching the Marseilles champs league away game on telly with my da in 1993. I'd only have been 6 at the time but it was obvious that this game was a big deal, especially when my ma had to scrape my da off the ceiling when wee Durrant burst the net

Watching my uncles going mad at the TV during a game, the game was the 10 man semi win over the scum in 92? Fully understand their reactions now :)

Getting the classic short sleeved 'V' neck top when I was about 7 for Christmas & feeling on top of the world, then taking the huff cos my mum insisted I wear a white jumper underneath if I was going out. It was snowy that Christmas & I was pissed because I looked like a Sheffield Wednesday player............then as soon as I was out of site, ditching the jumper & freezing my arse off in short sleeves, but I was a Ranger!
Double decker open backed supporters buses leaving from the Old Vale Bar in Alexandria and chugging up the Boulevard at 30 mph, through the Clyde tunnel and on to Ibrox. Piss stops at the Railway Inn in Bowling so the over 18's could get a few pints & haufs while they sent out coke & crisps for us......sweeps on the bus.

Being there so early queues up at the turnstile gates of broomloan, walked up the stairs and swear to this day I was the first person in Ibrox, big cousin right behind me, got me tickets for Nike rangers v rangers game. Still gives me chills thinking about it. I’d seen Ibrox on tv but walking up them stairs to a pristine pitch and stadium was unforgettable

Evening game Rangers Arsenal centenary game ...............I was 6 at the time and my first Rangers memory.......Charlie George scorec from almost the corner flag and I was stood behind the goal......Was also under floodlights which made it more special to a young boy...

I remember my first game which was against St Mirren. I went with my mum and was kitted up with the rangers top and a rangers flat-cap type bunnet. I also met Terry Hurlock after the match and got an autograph from him.

Cant remember date but sitting watching rangers v sheep when i was a wee boy with my auld man, rangers scored and i shouted fk you ya sheep shagging bastards , he laughed then belted me for swearing , thats my first memory of supporting rangers

Being there so early queues up at the turnstile gates of broomloan, walked up the stairs and swear to this day I was the first person in Ibrox, big cousin right behind me, got me tickets for Nike rangers v rangers game. Still gives me chills thinking about it. I’d seen Ibrox on tv but walking up them stairs to a pristine pitch and stadium was unforgettable
I think for everyone that first time of walking through to the pitch is breathtaking. I still love that feeling of walking through the confines of the concourse and emerging into the light. And my first match was in 1968!

Going to see the reserves/combined reserves with my Dad while my Mum took my sisters up the town. Progressing to 1st team game at 5 v St Mirren I'm sure we lost 3-2 and my Uncle said I was a jinx. Being a regular every other Saturday with my Dad Uncle and a few of their pals. Me and one of their sons at the front of Broomloan Rd end, wee guy shouting ' Get yer Macaroon bars, the spearmint chewing gum'. Going away games on the bus from Billy Simpsons pub at Govan Cross, always feeling tom dick cos they all smoked. Waiting outside with crisps and wee bottle of ginger when they went in on our return. Inter Milan on a Wednesday night we won 1-0 over 100,000 at Ibrox. The smell of pipe smoke and always getting luncheon meat or corned dog, chips and beans for tea on a Saturday when we got home. Been in my blood since. WATP

Back