Match Thread East Fife v Rangers - 15:00 Sunday - BT Sport

If that was Barisic then Gerrard would hook him at half time.

Expect the same to happen to Halliday.

Haliday struggling big time, early goal 2nd half then East Fife will start to get tired and fade away, 3 nil Gers.

I'd hesitate before making value judgements about players given the atrocious conditions, just looking at that pitch alone makes you wince. I hope to f*ck we don't pick up any serious injuries - Aribo, for eg. would be a big loss.

Controlling the game with 10 changes under terrible conditions. The ball is actually blowing about when players have it under control on the ground. Pitch is horrendous, the wind plus the weather is making the ball unpredictable.

Greg Stewart is underwhelming, he just doesn't look fit.

Halliday having a stinker. How their left back is not on a yellow card I will never know.

Another away day another plastic pitch. It’s time Rangers made comments on how dangerous they are - especially when it starts raining

Don't really think you can take too much away from games like this. Bad conditions and many changes in the line up. Just get the win and move on.

Halliday having a stinker.

It was never going to be a top drawer performance today with 10 changes to the line up.

just remember before the usual suspects start, I see Stewart getting it in the neck already, that we've made 10 changes to this starting line up.

Need to get a quick couple of goals I the second half then sub Defoe , Aribo and Jones to protect them .
Centre half pairing is doing okay but other fringe players are not shining although it’s hard to be critical on that pitch with the wind

Why put Barisic on the bench if you don't fancy him at all? He might not be ideal but hes miles better than Halliday.
I’m expecting him to come on have a good 45mins and this place to hail him the new Roberto Carlos such is the nature of FF.

Games like this sure let you see the defficiencies in your squad. You can clearly see those who are on a whole lower level than the rest of the team.

Terrible pitch,terrible conditions...a bit rushed causing too many mistakes....and that bloody awful SNP sign nailed on that back wall!!! Ffs.....hopefully theres a big improvement in 2nd half....

Missed the first 20mins.

It looks like we are sitting quite deep & trying to drag them out by passing it in the first third to create space. However this has resulted in Kamara/Aribo being caught in possession a few times (i hate the pitch excuse but it hinders the twisting & turning they both use as the ball seems to stick to the pitch like velcro).

Like the Killie game, Aribo needs to stop taking the ball from the cbs. He should be much further forward.

Defoe looks sharp.

Apart from that, please god can we sign a left back. It couldn't be anymore obvious that we need one

Seeing as how SG has made Halliday captain I don’t see him being subbed even though he would deserve it based on that first half.

Reactions: VMS
We really can't go into the season with Halliday or Flanagan as first choice left back
I dont know what Jon Flanagan has done to deserve being compared to Halliday. Flanagan is streets ahead as a footballer. Not a critique of Halliday as he always gives 100% but is not a good player.

I agree that the left back position must be a priority as it looks like Barasic will be moved on.

Absolutely class turn and spin from Defoe!
Playing okay, not really gelling or clicking in a few areas which is understandable.
I expect the same barrage of threads about Halliday in the coming weeks as Borna has had, definite weak spot today but fully expect Andy and Polster to be much improved 2nd Half. Just a case of trying too hard I think! Same with Stewart and Docherty, Kamara and Aribo guilty of complacency but we look a far better team when the midfield is driving and creating. We'll pick this mob off for a 0-4

TBH, I would take Aribo and Defoe off before Halliday and Kamara. I am scared that one or both of them will pull or tear a muscle.ligament or whatever and be lost to us for the season. We should be able to beat this lot without them anyway.

Oh well, can't see my -4 bet coming in unless we up our game a bit.

Getting through is all that matters tho, half way there.

Have faith brother I bet - 3 when we were away to St Joseph's and thought we'll that's fucked at HT.

Might have the wind at our back for the second half:))

Halliday has been rotten, but the reason we've been struggling today is midfield and out wide.

Kamara and Docherty have been poor, Stewart invisible and Jones kicked any time he threatens. And zero from the full backs going forward. Only Aribo and Defoe look on it.

Their keeper has hardly had anything to do, which is shocking.

Stewart looks to be nervous. Snatched at a chance when he had more time, then looked crestfallen. He needs to lighten up and enjoy the game . If you can't play with freedom in this side, against East Fife when can you?

Honestly this game can just gtf, really fed up of plastic pitches in the modern game. Just win Rangers, more than happy with just that.

Helander done well for the goal with his stepping up and playing from the back.

Been torture to watch bar a bit of excellence from Defoe.

See east fife have an SNP banner. Is this allowed at matches? I thought political things were banned

Halliday has had a howler. Barisic gets regularly slaughtered on here, when he’s never played as poor.

Stewart and Docherty just won’t make it at Rangers.

Like the look of Helander, but he doesn’t replace Goldson or Katic at the moment.

Don’t see east fife finishing with 11 men.

The difference with Halliday is he's trying to get forward and link-yes he's had a bit of a mare but BB in there today probably would have made no difference-we agree we need a LB.

Helander has looked very assured to me-I would expect him to replace NK and give us better balance a left footed CH.

Stewart has looked like a player struggling to come terms with playing with Rangers-he's struggling to do the basics and won't make the bench most weeks.
I agree on Docherty-he has decent ability but is mid-league quality imo.

Not the best first half, but considering the amount of changes and playing conditions, it’s not something to worry about.

Halliday and Stewart look poor though, LB really needs addressed.

I hate these type of games, I know we need to play them but its a shit surface, stadium and blowing its ass off, pitch also looks very compact, never easy but we will win this comfortably, not a great advertisement for the scottish game

Controlling the game with 10 changes under terrible conditions. The ball is actually blowing about when players have it under control on the ground. Pitch is horrendous, the wind plus the weather is making the ball unpredictable.

Halliday having a stinker. How their left back is not on a yellow card I will never know.

Their right back that's done Jones a few times? I'm sure he got a 'final warning' & then got away with another foul after that.

Instantly forgettable first 45.I realise this is our second string essentially but only Aribo and Defoe cutting it for me.Defoe's goal was stunning,real quality.

Terrible pitch, windy, bent ref, its a reminder of how awful the journey was, scored a good goal i dont think its been too bad get another goal and make sure the ref does not get his chance to do something really mental.

Plastic pitch. Ten changes. This was always going to be a disjointed and laboured performance. Was hoping for more from a few of them. None are really knocking on the door for a starting place. Good save from Foderingham is all he’s had to do. Edmundson impresses me every time I see him. Aribo and Defoe doing alright. Other than that a fairly ‘average’ showing - which is exactly what I expected in all honesty.

Both Halliday and Stewart having howlers to be fair. A change at half time wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Back