Match Thread East Fife v Rangers - 15:00 Sunday - BT Sport

That was laborious viewing after the last 3 or 4 games since killie away. Spoilt watching teams try to play against us on a real pitch.

Wasn't an easy watch,as has been mentioned the wind, the pitch,but to be completely honest I was dissapointed by a few of our players who we must remember are supposed to be pushing our first 11,Kamara seemed to be trying too much and lost the ball a couple of times Jones seems to try the same move every time he goes for the byline on his left foot he could try to vary that sometimes,but I'm nit picking we won we're through so onwards and upwards WATP

Job done. Very difficult conditions. Gale force wind and crap pitch. A referee who allowed every East Fife player 6 fouls each before even thinking about a booking. Another crap pitch in next round.

Job done today. No injuries and a rest for our main players.
Big Aribo impressed me every time I see him. Helander looks an accomplished player.
Cashed out at 2-0 up on Rangers -2 but still came out up as I had Defoe for first goal scorer on a separate bet.
On to Warsaw now and I fully expect us to get a result over there.

Rangers nail the spot the tim contest.

ECQyuOGWwAA3OIW

Hard for any football side to look good in those conditions and circumstances. Job done, more goals and a clean sheet. Pleased with that.

Only real criticism of anyone that I expected more of today would be Kamara. He was slack in a lot of his passing, he's a classy top drawer player so this surprised me. But that pitch was dire so he deserves a bye for that alone.

Not too exciting watching that on TV, but taking the ten changes, horrible plastic pitch and a very high wind into account, it's job done and that will do for me.

There were 4 guys out there today who just proved they aren’t good enough.

Those two & the two full backs. Both way way below Rangers standard.

Thought Polster didn’t do a lot wrong. Far from impressive but ok. Halliday has an absolutely awful game. Nothing came off for him at all. Says a lot about the Barisic situation that Halliday wasn’t hooked for him, especially as you’d have thought that Barisic needs game time (though the artificial pitch maybe influenced that).

Docherty is clearly a step down from all the other midfielders and I think that shows the wisdom of getting King in. We don’t want that degree of drop off. Nonetheless he was ok and had a couple of good runs and didn’t really do a lot wrong. He’ll be in the squad to make up numbers but will rarely get game time.

Stewart is not a right winger as we’ve seen before and as his time at Aberdeen showed. The best i’ve seen him play for us was the end of the game against Progrès at Ibrox when he played as part of a front 2 as the second striker. That is his position. He may be useful to have around the squad to throw on in the last 20 minutes instead of a winger to give us more numbers in the middle. But Ojo and Hastie should be ahead of him for the right wing.

Was a bit disappointed in Barker and King neither of whom showed much. However the game was over, the conditions were terrible, and King has not really had any time to bed in. King looked comfortable and a bit of an organiser which is useful. He was unlucky with the free kick and was it him who played the through ball for Defoe? Hopefully see more of both in the future.

Job done on a horrible pitch in horrible conditions.

Positives / Negatives:

- Joe Aribo. Outstanding every time he plays.

- Jake Hastie - did more in his few minutes than Stewart did with way longer

- Defoe - those touches and turns!

- Kamara - CONCENTRATE!!!!!

- Centre backs - easy game. Strolled it.
Add. Well done Wes. He made two good stops and handled the ball well in tricky conditions.

Thought Polster didn’t do a lot wrong. Far from impressive but ok. Halliday has an absolutely awful game. Nothing came off for him at all. Says a lot about the Barisic situation that Halliday wasn’t hooked for him, especially as you’d have thought that Barisic needs game time (though the artificial pitch maybe influenced that).

Docherty is clearly a step down from all the other midfielders and I think that shows the wisdom of getting King in. We don’t want that degree of drop off. Nonetheless he was ok and had a couple of good runs and didn’t really do a lot wrong. He’ll be in the squad to make up numbers but will rarely get game time.

Stewart is not a right winger as we’ve seen before and as his time at Aberdeen showed. The best i’ve seen him play for us was the end of the game against Progrès at Ibrox when he played as part of a front 2 as the second striker. That is his position. He may be useful to have around the squad to throw on in the last 20 minutes instead of a winger to give us more numbers in the middle. But Ojo and Hastie should be ahead of him for the right wing.

Was a bit disappointed in Barker and King neither of whom showed much. However the game was over, the conditions were terrible, and King has not really had any time to bed in. King looked comfortable and a bit of an organiser which is useful. He was unlucky with the free kick and was it him who played the through ball for Defoe? Hopefully see more of both in the future.

Agree with your summary SA, and King & Barker are just in the door & were on for a short period only too. And yes he played Defoe in first touch.

On Polster, he is a big strong athlete & does give total commitment but he just doesn’t have a touch at all. So many of his passes & crosses were so far out that you sometimes couldn’t even see what he was trying to do. I also saw him at RB in a friendly ( Oxford I think ? ) and out of maybe 11-12 opportunities to get decent crosses in he got 1, and we scored from it.

On Greg Stewart, I thought he played the Arfield narrow role. Maybe it was because Greg & Polster weren’t giving him ‘quality possession’ but I really thought he would be able to hurt East Fife today. To be fair, he has done well up until today.

Thought Polster was one of our poorest players today.Not Rangers class

Fell asleep at the end of the first half, woke up about 55th minute in time for the goal but christ that game was a struggle to watch. A case of just win and move on, a game for a lot of the new boys to get some game time despite how important the game was to win but never in doubt.

The gaffer laid down a challenge to fringe players giving him daggers.............none in my view gave him a tough decision.
He knows what JD, JJ,Aribo and Kamara can do.
We have a problem at left back....this is all too clear to him now and I suspect JF is his preferred pick for big games at the moment.
Yes, the weather and pitch were shite but that is what we have to deal with if we want 55.

The gaffer laid down a challenge to fringe players giving him daggers.............none in my view gave him a tough decision.
He knows what JD, JJ,Aribo and Kamara can do.
We have a problem at left back....this is all too clear to him now and I suspect JF is his preferred pick for big games at the moment.
Yes, the weather and pitch were shite but that is what we have to deal with if we want 55.

When you compare our XI today to theirs yesterday, it’s pretty clear that the majority of their lineup was their first eleven whereas ours was a secondary lineup.

They don’t have a team let alone a squad to compete with us. Another kicking at Ibrick will see them downing tools for popcorn teeth.

When you compare our XI today to theirs yesterday, it’s pretty clear that the majority of their lineup was their first eleven whereas ours was a secondary lineup.

They don’t have a team let alone a squad to compete with us. Another kicking at Ibrick will see them downing tools for popcorn teeth.
Ibrick? Isn't that the mentally challenged moniker for Ibrox? You should tell your predictive what team you support.

Ibrick? Isn't that the mentally challenged moniker for Ibrox? You should tell your predictive what team you support.
Oh dear....rumbled

I know the poor state of the pitch shouldn't be a problem for players of class & ability The wind shouldn't really be a problem either

These factors affect both teams - but it has a levelling effect - with mistakes & erratic breaks of the ball very often giving the underdog more of a chance

To discount these factors is a bit silly imo

The slick, fast & direct attacking style we've had success with recently isn't suited to all surfaces & conditions & yesterday proved that imo

We still managed to win comfortably even if it was ugly

We managed it at Kilmarnock as well and we better get used to it because there's plenty more times to come this season where the conditions will be just as bad & worse than the pitch & wind yesterday

Back