East Lothian journalist 'in tears' after racial abuse at Rangers game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I abhor racism and have heard it at Ibrox and away grounds: but not just from Rangers fans.
Society has fuckwits but very few imo are real racists: just ignorant, lack of common sense and thought fuckwits.

However, something just does not sit right with this story for me. I am not saying this did not happen: just the explanation from Bobby over it.

I suppose it is all about how you see things. Perception.

However, get the jersey on Bobby: don't let any coont stop you following your team.

“Around 25 minutes into the game, I’m doing my usual and talking football with fans around me, having a good time. But then I see an older man waving his arms at me, he looks at me and says ‘I can’t understand a word you are saying, are you even speaking English?’

Is that racist?
Yes

I don’t like this “well it happens in every ground” undertone.

It may well do, but if that is happening in ours then it needs dealt with properly.
Exactly. We are a club that prides itself on high standards and decorum. The biggest club in the country. We set the standards.

Whether it did or didn’t happen, or which other grounds have a problem with it is irrelevant. If we are told that someone has been subjected to racist abuse by some idiots within our support, then our response should be one which lives up to the standards we have been set. Imagine Bill Struth saying “nah I call bullshit.”

I don’t like this “well it happens in every ground” undertone.

It may well do, but if that is happening in ours then it needs dealt with properly.

Nobody in our support should ever feel uncomfortable following or supporting our club because of their race.

Some people will read that article and think “where’s the racism?”

Educate yourself. You are part of the problem.
It’s a race thread on FF.

The same outcome every single time. Too many right wing wank fantasy dreamers on here at times, an absolute embarrassment.

Racism is an educational and societal problem, not a football one. The attitude for me should not be "we're Rangers supporters we don't act like that" instead it should be "we're human beings we shouldn't be treating each other in that way".

Just throwing my tuppence in here, it's not throwing shade at anything anyone has already said as I haven't read through the whole thread.

Edit; This is an issue that transcends football and it's rivalries. I'm also aware that there have been stories put out in the mainstream with the aim of discrediting our club and our support. So I do understand when such a story comes out it will be rightfully scrutinized.

Last edited:
Can tell the ones who would be singing along in this thread.
Some fans just can’t see an issue when it comes to us. There has been many incidents involving our fans and if any rangers fan calls it out they’re lambasted for bringing negative attention to the club and told that the media can do that, no us! Sad tbh

Cringe worthy, I'm a bit surprised the fans didn't turn on the idiot in the ground.
The incident in the pub rings true ,there are some who just think they are hardmen ,comedians or both.They are normally too thick to know they are neither.

I’m not going to defend the comments but I agree. The statement in the article “racial abuse” surely can’t apply to what the fan said. He shouldn’t have said it but maybe he genuinely couldn’t understand.

The pub stuff is racist, it’s moronic and ignorant, would happen in pubs across Scotland when you have guys pished out their minds.
I've never seen anything like that in a pub in Scotland, and god knows I've been in plenty. Where were the pub management, sounds like they need their arses kicked, and an apology issued.

This is a really interesting video that popped up in my recommend yesterday. It features White Yardie who appears on AFTV and happens to be a white man from Jamaica. In the video he is speaking to some black panelists who I believe are British with Jamaican heritage (going by the comments underneath). There's a lot to take from this video about race, culture and skin colour. If you're interested give it a watch if not fair enough I realise it's a bit off topic.

How many people would have been in the Wee Rangers during a Friday night game against Stirling Albion? Are we all sure the Sakala song wasn't sung when he scored? The guy doesn't even know what pub he was in, he thinks it was the Wee Rangers. Sounds far fetched and bizarre to me, however only one way to find out and the club and the WRC should make it their business to find out and appropriate action taken if it is true.

How many people would have been in the Wee Rangers during a Friday night game against Stirling Albion? Are we all sure the Sakala song wasn't sung when he scored? The guy doesn't even know what pub he was in, he thinks it was the Wee Rangers. Sounds far fetched and bizarre to me, however only one way to find out and the club and the WRC should make it their business to find out and appropriate action taken if it is true.
It's a fucking car crash of an article, but you're correct and this should be properly investigated by both RFC and TWRC

If this is true then it is unacceptable.
If he felt uncomfortable at the match though, why didn't he go home? Going to a football bar seems an odd choice. Just a bit sceptical with this story.

If you see this shite happening, challenge it.
Racism is still a considerable issue in our society, but it does make folk think twice about perpetuating it if you challenge them.
Don’t go along with it.

Racism is still a considerable issue in our society, but it does make folk think twice about perpetuating it if you challenge them.
Don’t go along with it.
Spot on.

Has anybody listened to the guy speak? He has a east of Scotland Edinburgh accent maybe it was that. Racism has no place at Ibrox

He speaks quite quickly in a strong Edinburgh accent, when you factor in crowd noise there is a chance the guy at Ibrox genuinely couldn't understand what he was saying.

However the second incident of him being called Sakala is racist.

There's an abundance of excuses on here for something that is inexcusable. Recently after an investigation Morton banned 2 supporters for life for racist comments. Rangers, as a club, need to investigate the alleged incident within the ground and take the appropriate action. As for the other part of it there will be witnesses and cctv footage.

It does happen at Ibrox. I frequent CR2 with a friend who is black and he has been approached and given the same treatment as the guy in question.

And before the “was it reported” mob chime in, no it was not because it was dealt with in other ways after it happened.

Don’t go along with it.
Think it has improved massively, it was very common when I was young, at work, pub, football, everywhere, now it's very rare I hear anybody say anything racist and it gets called out instantly.

Im not sure about this,the one in the stadium he refers too is the old guy trying to be racist we will never know ,for the record there are plenty black,asian people around were i sit in main stand never heard a hint of anything racist i know it doesnt mean it can never happen or has happened but my experience racism is not a problem at Ibrox,everyone anyone were all bears together.

Can you give me proof of this every day racism on FF in the lounge??

I would chase these morons everyday of the week out our club but please don't tarnish most with the same racist brush.

The racist scum who committed this abhorrent behaviour should be banned for life, no ifs , buts or maybes.

Yeah let's start banning folk for for life from their club without any proof.

The media would never lie or exaggerate to make us look bad would they

You start then. How many of our fans are scumbags?

25%?

10%?

5%?

1% ?

You tell me
What a ridiculous post. There is no way of putting a number on a question like that however the facts are there are some absolute dregs of society that turn up at our games and embarrass the club, often blootered or coked out their minds. The denial from some on here is pathetic.

”Then I see an older man waving his arms at me, he looks at me and says 'I can't understand a word you are saying, are you even speaking English?'

"I turned to my friends and asked if he had just said what I thought he had. After that I just felt sick and my mood completely dropped. My friends said to try to ignore him but I couldn't."

Maybe the words fail to capture what happened but that doesn’t strike me as racist at all, why would you leave a game of football because someone said they didn’t understand you?

This needs investigated as if true it’s not acceptable in any way. Should be easy enough to establish. I’m surprised so many take everything said as gospel. After the embarrassing bloody nose a lot of msm received from the Rangers support with their own tweets I’m surprised more don’t see that as fishy. This is the second black guy in the media to have a racist incident with the Rangers support. I believe there was one last year too.

This needs investigated as if true it’s not acceptable in any way. Should be easy enough to establish. I’m surprised so many take everything said as gospel. After the embarrassing bloody nose a lot of msm received from the Rangers support with their own tweets I’m surprised more don’t see that as fishy. This is the second black guy in the media to have a racist incident with the Rangers support. I believe there was one last year too.
Correct that’s the only way to establish the facts.

“Around 25 minutes into the game, I’m doing my usual and talking football with fans around me, having a good time. But then I see an older man waving his arms at me, he looks at me and says ‘I can’t understand a word you are saying, are you even speaking English?’

Is that racist?
I thought that as well. Mibee he's got that shite East Coast accent that gives people the boak. This all reeks of a guy that's never been to the football before and was shocked by how many fanny's exist in a large crowd of people.

Some people on this thread sound like the Czechs trying to deflect the Kudela/kamara incident. I don't think its so far fetched that racism happened anywhere in Scotland, or the UK for that matter. That's not to say the country or support is inherently racist.

I understand some might feel as a club we're being attacked, as we sometimes are. The focus in this instance should be on dealing with the racists within our support, through education or bans rather than circling the wagons.

Some folk really learned nothing from the Kudela incident did they? Imagine watching Kamara go through that, then simply saying "I don't believe this story" because we don't want it to be true or because you've never directly experienced racism from your seat at Ibrox.

I'm disappointed but not surprised.

Our society has a problem with racism and we're part of it. We should be big enough to admit we have idiots amongst us and address it.

Everyone. Anyone.

For the lurkers, who delight in screenshotting from this thread and posting on Twatter - you are also part of the problem. Point scoring over racism for you. Embarrassing.

Point is, nobody needed evidence of the Kamara incident. Yet now.....

The players reaction around Kamara was pretty damming evidence if you ask me.

I'm not saying this didn't happen, I don't just take one persons word at something, especially a journalist that does work for the BBC or any of the SMSM.

I thought that as well. Mibee he's got that shite East Coast accent that gives people the boak. This all reeks of a guy that's never been to the football before and was shocked by how many fanny's exist in a large crowd of people.
Even with the strongest east coast accent, a white person wouldn’t get the same treatment.

No Rangers fan. Male, female of whatever colour, creed or religion should ever feel uncomfortable coming to Ibrox.

Though it's not representative of the majority of the Rangers support. A couple of moronic neanderthal arseholes is two too many.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous post. There is no way of putting a number on a question like that however the facts are there are some absolute dregs of society that turn up at our games and embarrass the club, often blootered or coked out their minds. The denial from some on here is pathetic.
Midweek games in particular bring out the worse element I reckon.

What an embarrassing thing to happen to the lad too many gobshites who think they are funny or don’t think they are racist fück pigs.
Would not matter in which ground it happened in it’s a blight on society and football as a sport.

It's so when the WRC look up footage and prove he wasn't even in there he can just say "oh must have been somewhere else then"

Absolute media sting this - and influencer boy gets his likes and looks brave for calling out racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back