Easter road memories

Obviously Helicopter Sunday Part 2 in 2005 but anyone remember the game there a week or 2 after Davie Cooper died in 1995?

Seats on the old terrace with the Yellow Ponchos being handed out as it started off as rain then turned into a full scale blizzard.

I'm sure Stuart McCall scored for us that day too. 1-1 or 1-0.

Was before Coops passing by a couple of weeks. 1-1.

We won by 4 or 5 mid 90's and myself and a friend were in their main stand corporate area.
Had to leave after 3, couldn't contain ourselves and got ridiculous amounts of abuse, guys literally climbing over chairs to get to us.
Never went in an away end after that.

Santa Claus getting lifted from the Rangers End and abusing the locals in the stand as he was led down the track. Must have been about December 84 or 85

Stein's header in 1975.
Evening game in Walter's 2nd stint, neck and neck with Timmy in the closing stages of the league and we pound the Hibs defense and eventually got an equalizer to help us win the title, a bit like being at an away match in the 70's with an amazing crowd experience.:D

Was at that Midweek game late novo equaliser , game finished 1-1 we were absolutely garbage in the first half , think that dumpling we signed from the hearts was our centre forward that night , left the ground feeling like we’d blown our chances of winning the league as this handed Celtic the initiative, they Had to go to Easter road on the Sunday and the hibs goalie , black guy Macalumby (sp) had the game of his life for the spoon burners game finished 0-0 and it was back in our hands - tell you long 95 minutes watching that game on the telly !

Random game that I’ve never been able to find footage of since but 3-2 win. Whittaker scored when the Setanta picture went off, Velicka scored a belter and Edu bundled in from a corner
The Rangers Archive footage page has that game

Ten years ago, winning the League there; all the players and management standing around the 18 yard box taking the applause from the fans at the away end. I think KT spoke at a press conference after it; if I remember this correctly.

Was at that Midweek game late novo equaliser , game finished 1-1 we were absolutely garbage in the first half , think that dumpling we signed from the hearts was our centre forward that night , left the ground feeling like we’d blown our chances of winning the league as this handed Celtic the initiative, they Had to go to Easter road on the Sunday and the hibs goalie , black guy Macalumby (sp) had the game of his life for the spoon burners game finished 0-0 and it was back in our hands - tell you long 95 minutes watching that game on the telly !

Yep, that's the one.

Remember going through for a midweek game back in the 70s and it was a lock out.Had to wait til the last 20 minutes to get in.Cant even remember the score.

The size of the Rangers support in 1975 was unbelievable.
Think Hibs only got the main stand in the 70's and maybe that wee shed thing behind one of the goals. We had basically all 3 terraces, the double terrace opposite the main stand was always bouncing.

Behind enemy lines..... Lafferty..... 1-0, jumping up but shouting “furfuxsakes” Trying not to celebrate. Walking out with a full nappy not feeling comfortable til Waverley!!

1993, I think we won 1-0. I got a bottle thrown at me near to Waverley place or Avenue, that started a stramash, ending in a full scale scrap.

I got a bottle thrown at me there in 92/93 season in a game we won 4-3. You're not a real Rangers fan until you've been attacked when playing Hibs away.

Many great days out at Easter Road over the years, the last time I had a good day there was back in 97 we won 4-3, Negri with the winner

Always gives me the chance to recount my first ever away game.

Poor eleven year old from Castlemilk tells his mum he’s going out to play. Along with his best friend, skips on the 31 into town. Walks to Queen Street and skips on the football special to Edinburgh. Gets a lifty, more like a squeezy in really, along with his pal. Watches Colin Stein win the league.

Reverses the process back to Castlemilk. Knocks on the door back at the house and is greeted with, “ you were at that Rangers game weren’t you”. 1970’s style discipline dispatched and acknowledged. All’s well that ends well.

Last edited:
Boy selling rolls from a cardboard box at the bottom of the slope; behind the terracing.
Ok, except for the fact that the bottom of the box was soaked from a river of piss coming down the hill!

Always gives me the chance to recant my first ever away game.

Poor eleven year old from Castlemilk tells his mum he’s going out to play. Along with his best friend, skips on the 31 into town. Walks to Queens Street and skips on the football special to Edinburgh. Gets a lifty, more like a squeezy in really, along with his pal. Watches Colin Stein win the league.

Reverses the process back to Castlemilk. Knocks on the door back at the house and is greeted with, “ you were at that Rangers game weren’t you”. 1970’s style discipline dispatched and acknowledged. All’s well that ends well.

Quality.

Kids of today at 11 are lucky if they have left their own street unattended. :)

My first visit there was when we won the league in 75. Other memorable games was when Parlane got sent off , we dropped a crucial point in the title race and every Hibs fan I saw after that game got their head kicked in. 1985 last game of the season, same day as the Bradford fire disaster, the ICF smashed shop windows all the way up Easter Road going back to Waverley station.

Boy selling rolls from a cardboard box at the bottom of the slope; behind the terracing.
Ok, except for the fact that the bottom of the box was soaked from a river of piss coming down the hill!

The cheese or the meat!

My mate's went in the early 80s to a match, being about 14 we just headed straight from the bus to the ground and stood at the floodlight around towards the Hibs shed as we were going to meet up with a couple of pals. It was around 2pm and the place was just about deserted and for some reason this big Hibs skinhead decided to walk up to the link fence and start giving us dogs abuse so to save face we started giving it back. Pricks with ears was a particular favourite. Anyway the guy fucks off and we think that's that but the bastard comes back again with a scaffold batton, leans it up against the fence and tries to run up it and over into our end. At this point I was getting slightly concerned but not wanting to loose face we stood our ground. Luckily a few Bears had started to arrive and had seen this guy and drifted across to give him dogs abuse so the big boy pants got put back on and we joined in. Always wondered what would have happened if the guy had got over the fence and started chasing 3 young lads around the terracing trying to kick %^*& out of us

We have had some classic wins at that place over the years

excluding winning the league there

what’s your favourite win?
Mines is this one below great day and a great win warburtons first game

My greatest memory of Easter road is when we stopped the scum winning TIAR in 1975 ,we drew 1-1 with Colin Stein scoring for us with a bullet header.
I never got home from Edinburgh till Sunday night

Walking into Easter Road around Christmas time. 6/8 inches of snow on the roads all the way. Row B and getting freezing cold snow drips onto head/neck all game. Stokes scores to put them 1-0 within 14/15 seconds? I’m sure we won 4-2 which made the trip more than worthwhile.

My dad worked 24 / 7 back when I was growing up and my one abiding memory is going to one of only a handful of games with him. Christmas Day 1971, Stein scoring the only goal. Was in that upper part of the terracing across from the main stand, open to the gods and absolutely freezing.

Simpler times, I got a bogey / go cart that you could put runners on and convert to a sledge. A timpo cowboy village complete with jail and saloon and a Meccano set. Ernie the fastest milkman in the west was no 1 in the charts.

Happy days

Last edited:
QUOTE="Drumchapel Loyalist, post: 6934482, member: 408"]
Its amazing the amount of people who dont actually read the full first post on a thread.
[/QUOTE]

Guilty as charged:rolleyes:

Was a game maybe 2 or 3 years ago that was one of the coldest nights at the football I can remember. Might have been back when Bruno Alves played for us.

This one last year the media willing us to drop points before beating them at the pig stay ensured it was a happy Christmas and that Aribo goal was top drawer

I’m sure there was a video of our fans singing as the second goal goes in, but I can never find it. Looked a class night though.

I was at the midweek game when Windass/Morelos scored. Hibs absolutely battered us second half but just couldn’t score. Absolutely freezing that night, great scenes at the end though.

Game in 2007 at Easter Road was my first Rangers away game in league, as I had only visited Ibrox and European away games at that time. It was a great day being in the Rangers end. 0-2 and Charlie Adam scored both Rangers goals if I remember correct.

I was at the midweek game when Windass/Morelos scored. Hibs absolutely battered us second half but just couldn’t score. Absolutely freezing that night, great scenes at the end though.

Freezing, but brilliant atmosphere.

Made better when watching Lennon spewing on the news later, blaming getting beat on the referee for a handball penalty claim (David Bates? ) they didn't get. One of those nights where they would probably have missed it anyway.

Back