ECWC 1967 & 1972

TheAnalogKid

Winners medal from 1972 & runners up from 1967, lying on a quite famous shirt. Quite simply, iconic.

2556l1x.jpg

Courtesy of Dave Smith, Rangers legend and ST holder.

My old man's pal's late father was at all our European finals, including the away leg of the 2 legged final in Florence, right through to our
Manchester final.

He'd kept his programmes from all the games, plus his final tickets from Nuremberg, Barcelona and Manchester.

My dad's mate got them all franed together after his dad passed away and they are now proudly displayed on a wall in his house.

I wonder how many great old Bears were at all 5 of our European finals?

Not many I'd wager.

Brilliant. Only 4 players in our history represented our club in two European Finals. Along with Dave Smith were John Greig, Sandy Jardine & Willie Johnston.

Worth also mentioning Scot Symon, who managed us to 2 finals.

Contrary to perceived wisdom, Jock Stein wasn't the only Scottish club manager to take his club to 2 finals. He wasn't even the first one.

My old man's pal's late father was at all our European finals, including the away leg of the 2 legged final in Florence, right through to our
Manchester final.

He'd kept his programmes from all the games, plus his final tickets from Nuremberg, Barcelona and Manchester.

My dad's mate got them all franed together after his dad passed away and they are now proudly displayed on a wall in his house.

Not many I'd wager.

Tremendous achievement, but I always thought there was no match programme produced in 1972 in Barcelona?

Winners medal from 1972 & runners up from 1967, lying on a quite famous shirt. Quite simply, iconic.

2556l1x.jpg

Courtesy of Dave Smith, Rangers legend and ST holder.

Dave Smith was also Player of the Year in Scotland in 1972, and deservedly so.

Indeed, I remember telling anyone who'd listen, that he was the best player in Britain back then, never mind just Scotland!

As for 1967, Roger Hynd instead on Alex Willoughby, what WAS Scot Symon thinking about?

Leading up to the final, Willoughby was even more on fire than Nacho Novo was leading up to Manchester, and don't get me started on that one!

Manchester final.

Not many I'd wager.

Incredible mate. I’ve been at two :mad:

Tremendous achievement, but I always thought there was no match programme produced in 1972 in Barcelona?

I stand corrected if that's the case mate.

I thought it was only tickets from the 1st final that were missing.

I wonder if those games were actually all ticket?

I stand corrected if that's the case mate.

I thought it was only tickets from the 1st final that were missing.

I wonder if those games were actually all ticket?

I was only ten mate, but I know we never got a programme which I’d guess we’d have definitely wanted as a souvenir, so BB is probably correct about Barca.

I was only ten mate, but I know we never got a programme which I’d guess we’d have definitely wanted as a souvenir, so BB is probably correct about Barca.

Yeah I think he'll be right mate.

My mistake.

Still some collection and achievement though.

Pretty sure he drove to Nuremberg, not sure about Florence.

Definitely no programme issued for the 1972 final. There wasn't one for the leg in Florence either but definitely one for the Ibrox leg, I’ve got two copies of that one.

Last edited:
Was at Ibrox in 62, watched on telly in 67, watched tape delay in 72, was at Manchester. Very privileged am I. (Yoda loyal)

Manchester final.

Not many I'd wager.
I knew one, I havent seen or heard of for years. DD initials.

I done Barcelona and Manchester, too young for 67

My late Grandpa saw Fiorentina home, Nuremberg and Barcelona, but sadly passed away a couple of years before Mamchester.

What an era the early to mid 60s must have been to be a Rangers supporter Robert.

As for 1967, Roger Hynd instead on Alex Willoughby, what WAS Scot Symon thinking about?

Leading up to the final, Willoughby was even more on fire than Nacho Novo was leading up to Manchester, and don't get me started on that one!
Willoughby was dropped for the semi-final second leg at Ibrox v Slavic Sofia in favour of Hynd and he kept the place for the few remaining games, including a 2-2 draw with Celtic when he scored. Had Willoughby played in the final the result may have been different. But then again, had Jim Forrest not been treated so badly after Berwick he would have made the difference in the final.

Interesting to see those medals. I remember reading that Roger Hynd threw his runners up medal into the crowd after the game at Nuremburg.

My apprenticeship finished in 1967 and I decided to treat my self to go to Germany for the game.
At the time,I was working in Swindon and called Ibrox for ticket details,girl took my name and address and said I had been added to the list.Few weeks later a telegram arrived at the digs confirming success obtaining a brief.
Old man dispatched to Ibrox to pay for ticket and post it down to me.
Bloody good time was had in the week I spent there.
Shame about the result though.

My only memory of 67 (via the tv)was big Roger Hynd missing a great chance from a couple of yards.I was fortunate to make 72.
I wonder what our history would have been like had Scot Symon not been sacked while top of the league and Jim Forrest not been made a scapegoat for Berwick,crazy decisions.

The CWC semi-final against Bayern Munich at Ibrox in 1972 was his finest hour, Franz Beckenbauer picked up some pointers on how the game should be played that night....:cool:
Franz Beckanbauer must be a decent guy, he signed a copy of the pre-match handshake photo from that game with a personal message to Dave Smith. He also did a few others which Dave also signed. My copy is so well hidden I don't remember where it is ffs.

2 legends, but one is perhaps a bit more legendary than the other :))

Franz Beckanbauer must be a decent guy, he signed a copy of the pre-match handshake photo from that game with a personal message to Dave Smith. He also did a few others which Dave also signed. My copy is so well hidden I don't remember where it is ffs.

2 legends, but one is perhaps a bit more legendary than the other :))
Aye...just a wee bit...:))...but he was immense that night...as was the whole team to be fair

Probably missed

The added bit to the story about the 1967 medals was that the medals that were given were the same for both sides. Apparently (according to the reports that did the rounds soon after the game) Hynd discovered that the Bayern players medals were the same as those of the Rangers players. In that vein, it was interesting . to see that there was a difference between Dave Smith's winners medal and the one he got in 1967.

Last edited:
Back