Eddie Howe - Biggest fraud in football?

I would take him when gerrard leaves.
XFsC4xh.gif

Howe is another Warburton
Never had to manage under pressure and will see a draw at Hibs as a great result

God he got homesick in Burnley (granted it’s a dump)

I certainly won’t lose sleep over them appointing him

Never had to manage under pressure and will see a draw at Hibs as a great result

He is a million miles better than Warburton if we are being honest.

Yes he doesn’t strike me as the type who handles pressure to well, but the job he did at Bournemouth was nothing short of remarkable. From where he took over to get them to the EPL was incredible.

It obviously ended badly but most managerial posts do unless they leave for a bigger club.

If they get him then I obviously wish him feck all but bad luck though!

He is a million miles better than Warburton if we are being honest.

Yes he doesn’t strike me as the type who handles pressure to well, but the job he did at Bournemouth was nothing short of remarkable. From where he took over to get them to the EPL was incredible.

It obviously ended badly but most managerial posts do unless they leave for a bigger club.

If they get him then I obviously wish him feck all but bad luck though!
No he isn't.

Howe would never cope with the expectations, Hughes on the other hand would be a decent punt.
Ten years ago

I try and look at it from a view as to how I would feel if we were getting a player or manager they were after and to be honest I would be raging if Hughes or Howe were the benchmark

For Eddie Howe at Celtic see Ian Cathro at Hearts, nice guy by all accounts but nice guys don’t make old firm managers or can handle the goldfish bowl of Scottish football.

We’ve had Smith, Advocaat, Souness and even now Gerrard who have that ruthlessness needed to succeed up here.

Eddie Howe would be a disaster of an appointment for them, I’m all for it!

Howe does have some credibility as a manager - to suggest otherwise is foolish.

Whether he has what's required for Glasgow is another matter.

Last edited:
See Graeme Murty

The pressure up here would break him

Excellent manager (unlike Murty) but he doesn't strike me as having the stones to manage us or them

Done a decent job at Bournemouth, no doubt about that but think he'd be out his depth up here! I think he'll be their next manager, it'll end in tears

Eddie Howe done a miraculous job at Bournemouth.
Delusional if you think he's a shite appointment for anyone.
EPL = money,played a huge part in any success he had.Team selections and substitutions left a lot of questions though.
Average manager IMO.

Bankrolled by a Russian billionaire to get into EPL
Got homesick at Burnley
Managed a club where the expectation was to avoid relegation and ultimately failed
Never targeted by a top EPL club

A good coach that can implement a playing style but never been subjected to the pressure or scrutiny he would be under managing them and my gut instinct is it wouldn’t end well!

Howe did amazingly well to get Bournemouth to the Premier League, and to stay there for a while. I don’t think that’s up for debate. However, I would not be overly worried if he was appointed.

Tactically I’m not impressed by him. Whilst the football was attractive at times, he played the same way every game (a bit Warburton?) which I think is just naive at that level. Generally his teams were open and conceded a lot of goals. His inability to adapt, become difficult to beat and build a strong defensive unit ended up costing them their Premiership place, especially when Wilson’s goals dried up. Celtic need somebody who can build from the back as their defence is a shambles. I don’t think Howe works like that.

Howe has never had the pressure of having to win every game, as a player or manager. He hasn’t had to work to the standard they’ll expect and it’ll take him time to understand that even a draw away at Hibs or Aberdeen will often be met with criticism and hysteria. It’s a huge shift in mindset. I’m not saying he can’t do it but you’d be much more confident in appointing someone who’d experienced that big club mentality as a player or manager as Gerrard has and as Rodgers had before signing for them.

Bournemouth’s transfer business in his last 2 years was extremely poor. A lot of money was spent, especially for a club of that size and there were very few success stories. Below is a list of signings from his last 2 seasons. Over £100m spent and the majority of those players didn’t go into their first 11 (similar to the problems Celtic have had recently in the transfer market). Only Brooks could really be deemed a success in the Premier league. To me he didn’t address the problems (defensive weakness) and it seems that he struggled to trust his big signings so stuck with the same guys that helped get them up (Cook, Francis, Smith, Surman, Daniels, Gosling).

D. Brooks £11.5m
J. Lerma £15m
D. Rico £5m
D. Solanke £19m
C. Mepham £12m
L. Kelly £13m
J. Stacey £4m
A. Danjuma £13.7m
P. Billing £14.7m

I listened to Defoe’s podcast and it seems that Howe doesn’t know how to manage egos. If that’s the case Celtic is the wrong job for him because they don’t appear to be short of egos there.

Last edited:
He would get them playing decent football, but I’m not sure whether he’d instil a winning mentality. Get him signed.

Bournemouth did well to get promoted and stay up. Failed to move on and recruitment was poor (very similar happening to Sheffield Utd this season). Far too loyal to the players who were there for ages. If it wasn’t for injuries his back 4 would still be Francis-Elphick-Cook-Daniels.

Be a fair few fucking riddies on here if he gets appointed at the scum

Some absolute cock stroking going on over his Bournemouth achievements

"Aye but bbut bbbbut" incoming

I know Howe is the bookies favourite for the tims job but I'm surprised Sean Dyche is so far out at 40/1 with Hills. That ticks a few boxes - reasonably successful with not much money and experienced in a top league, called Sean to pander to the plastics, probably wouldn't need to uproot his family - Burnley area is near enough commuting distance, bigger job with a chance to make a name for himself taking on Gerrard, and for the first time in his managerial career (hopefully not) win some silverware.

They must be lumping in him for next manager. Odds are about 11/10 on skybet. Next is Jack Ross at 10/1.

not strictly true - the reason he left was because his mum died. He wanted to return south to be near family.

he is a total drip though but i'm not having anyone call him out on the way things ended at Burnley. Totally understandable. It's all in here

There can't be many men afforded the luxury of giving up their job when their mother dies. I'm not going to call Howe a 'wet wipe' because of it but I think it displays a lack of mental fortitude necessary to manage them - particularly when we are in the ascendency and with Gerrard at the helm.

I know Howe is the bookies favourite for the tims job but I'm surprised Sean Dyche is so far out at 40/1 with Hills. That ticks a few boxes - reasonably successful with not much money and experienced in a top league, called Sean to pander to the plastics, probably wouldn't need to uproot his family - Burnley area is near enough commuting distance, bigger job with a chance to make a name for himself taking on Gerrard, and for the first time in his managerial career (hopefully not) win some silverware.
Well, let's look at the last 25-ish years to see how they sign their managers
  • Jansen was just sitting about for a year after finishing in Japan.
  • Dr. Vengaboys was doing %^*& all since finishing up in Oman a year earlier (Even now, I still don't understand this one)
  • Wibble's contract ended at Leicester and decided to pollute the game up here.
  • Mr. Eugenics got himself fired from Southampton and was sitting around doing nothing.
  • They actually paid £2m for Melton Mowbray, after he got WBA relegated bottom of the Premier League!
  • TLB got promoted from a coaching role.
  • Nobody seems to know how they ended up with Deila or if they paid any money for him.
  • David Brent was fired from Liverpool and had nothing else on. He was given an "unprecidented" 3-year contract instead of their usual "Rolling, 12-month contracts"
  • TLB got himself fired from Hibs so he could go there as a temp and then get hired in the showers (What the %^*&?)
History shows they very, very rarely pay other clubs for managers.

It's not going to be Dyche unless he manages to get himself fired.

Get effed. Im a Burnley fan as well. Why would Sean Dyche leave a club that cares for its community rather than abuse them. Eddie Howe gets homesick past London. I hope he goes there. Defensively enept and will never get the culture. Please let Eddie Howe go there.....56 on its way

I think they see Howe in a Brendaesque way.
I think Rodgers though is a much superior manager and tactician. He also had the benefit of the understanding the culture that goes hand in hand in this particular tribal rivalry.
Howe if appointed, only my opinion, will flounder. A nice prospect.

If he thought Burnley was a dump , wait till he sees Parkhead .

No he isn't.

Howe’s 43 and got a small side promoted to the Premier League and managed to keep them there for a further 3 seasons which included a 9th place finish. Mark Warburton is pushing 60, has never gotten a side promoted to the Premier League, probably never will and will no doubt never manage a Premier League side.

I think any links to Celtic (legitimate or not) just automatically skews judgement and makes players and coaches shite to some fans. It’s like those guys who’re still pretending Tierneys shite while he’s having a good season in a crap Arsenal team.

Last edited:
not strictly true - the reason he left was because his mum died. He wanted to return south to be near family.

he is a total drip though but i'm not having anyone call him out on the way things ended at Burnley. Totally understandable. It's all in here

Thanks for posting, more people should educate themselves on the subject - guess everyone deals with that subject differently though.

Well, let's look at the last 25-ish years to see how they sign their managers
  • Jansen was just sitting about for a year after finishing in Japan.
  • Dr. Vengaboys was doing %^*& all since finishing up in Oman a year earlier (Even now, I still don't understand this one)
  • Wibble's contract ended at Leicester and decided to pollute the game up here.
  • Mr. Eugenics got himself fired from Southampton and was sitting around doing nothing.
  • They actually paid £2m for Melton Mowbray, after he got WBA relegated bottom of the Premier League!
  • TLB got promoted from a coaching role.
  • Nobody seems to know how they ended up with Deila or if they paid any money for him.
  • David Brent was fired from Liverpool and had nothing else on. He was given an "unprecidented" 3-year contract instead of their usual "Rolling, 12-month contracts"
  • TLB got himself fired from Hibs so he could go there as a temp and then get hired in the showers (What the %^*&?)
History shows they very, very rarely pay other clubs for managers.

It's not going to be Dyche unless he manages to get himself fired.
They paid about 300k for Deila in the end. Dyche has 1 year on his contract at the end of this season. His wages may be an issue at £70k p/w though, but they will be in a firesale by then and getting Lawwell off the wage bill so perhaps not. Their fans will be demanding a big name to take on Gerrard though, no doubt.

Biggest fraud in football is an incredible title. The guy did well with Bournemouth for most of his time there before being sacked.

Absolutely. He fizzled out in the end and wasted a lot of money but getting Bournemouth into the EPL was an incredible achievement in itself and then managing to keep them there so long.

In saying that, he doesn't strike fear into me and I would have no worries about Gerrard going up against him I would still fancy our chances.

Howe doesn't strike me as having the steel required to come in and get that mob firing next season.
If he was given time, say 2-3 seasons, like SG then you never know.
Would that mob accept that and let us get 3-4 on our way to Terry Munro? No chance!

Absolutely. He fizzled out in the end and wasted a lot of money but getting Bournemouth into the EPL was an incredible achievement in itself and then managing to keep them there so long.

In saying that, he doesn't strike fear into me and I would have no worries about Gerrard going up against him I would still fancy our chances.

Glasgow would eat Howe alive.

He doesn't strike me as the type who could handle the 24/7 scrutiny and pressure up here.

Old Jolly Hocksticks would cry post match about how it's so damn unfair old chap that Rangers get everything.

If Lennon goes and Eddie Howe takes over, they would have a manager who, previously, was in charge at a club where the expectation levels are low and the pressure would have been nothing compared to what he would experience at Celtic. For both sides of the Old Firm an away draw can signal a “crisis” (note the speech marks) and it would be interesting to see how he handled it.

If Lennon goes and Eddie Howe takes over, they would have a manager who, previously, was in charge at a club where the expectation levels are low and the pressure would have been nothing compared to what he would experience at Celtic. For both sides of the Old Firm an away draw can signal a “crisis” (note the speech marks) and it would be interesting to see how he handled it.

We heard similar when Rodgers came up to them. ''He's never won anything before'' etc. You're coming up to a two horse race with the biggest budget. You don't need to be Klopp or Pep to win things in Scotland.

Howe is a good coach and a huge improvement on Lennon there's no point in kidding ourselves on about that. I still wouldn't trade him for our management team though.

Not sure whats worse the idea the guys is a fraud or the million miles better than Warburton comment(aye but pundit guy on sky sports telt us hes magic must be true). Howe has done well at a smaller club if hes such a great manager why would a (possible) move to the piggery in the mess they are in at the moment, be the best offer hes ever had ? or possibly even the best he will ever get...

I always think any manager doing a half decent job in the EPL is often totally overrated simple cos its the most popular league with all the tv and radio coverage every single day. Remember the Hull boss doing the teamtalk on the pitch that was the power of the media totally overrating someone that wins a few games.

Not sure why it is England never have great managers, not sure anyone knows why, theres only one i can think of and hes ours.

Id be surprised if Celtic want Howe it does not seem like the time for them to go for that type of appointment.

He is not the type of manager that is going to pressure match officials, i couldnt disagree with anyone saying no need they are ready to assist, yeah very true. The more feart or intimidated the better from a yahoo pov..I expect someone nasty like say Martin Oneill i really hope not though he would though sell the tickets get them spewing even more bile and have all the press/ ex players back doing what they enjoy most, cheerleading.

Back