Edinburgh New Town pubs Sunday

servicepoint

In Edinburgh on Sunday afternoon and looking for a decent pub to catch the game, usually go to the Queens Arms but it’s got nothing available at 12. Anyone know of any?

Cask and Barrel at Broughton Street should have it. Don't know if they take bookings though.

Not that many places in New town for football.

Do you need to book a table at pubs in Edinburgh just now? Was planning to go through on Friday afternoon

Do you need to book a table at pubs in Edinburgh just now? Was planning to go through on Friday afternoon

It’s kind of appearing that way on the websites but some friends were through in Edinburgh recently and said it was very quiet so perhaps not everywhere will need booked.

I was through staying couple of weeks ago you 100% need to book yur full day or you really will struggle to get in pubs especially in the centre
Been out in Edinburgh twice in the last few weeks and that wasn't the case for me. Some places are booking only but most were not. For example watched the Liverpool v Leeds game in Stramash as a walk-up. Also had a couple of pints in Tiles (that another poster suggested earlier) as a walk-up.

There were others too, all city centre.

In saying all that for the OP wanting a dedicated place to watch a game then obviously worth booking.

Golf Tavern is back open now, was always good in the past to watch games but not sure if it's showing our game on Sunday.

Platform 5 opposite Haymarket Station is the one I normally use. Booking a table is required.

Would be good to have a sticky in the lounge which said all the good places

I'm through in Edinburgh Oct 24th. Does anyone know any pubs that will show the livingstone game (not on sky) or even at a last resort any pubs that would let me use my virtual season ticket on their screens. I'm staying a village hotel so maybe they would?

Is Frederick Street the New Town, I always thought it was as its directly off George Street? The Queens Arms always shows Rangers games.

To be honest I would say that only North of Queen Street is the New Town. Princes Street and Rose Street et al being different.

No problem mate. Was having a bit of banter about your stealth other house post. Wish I had a place there.
The guy found a pub that shows the Rangers games.
I take it you dont stay there too often?

Don’t think the Queen Anne was mentioned before and I wouldn’t have agreed because of the above explanation.

No currently serving outside of Scotland.

Hope that clears it up.

You’ll get it in the Hanover Tap. Watched the Red Imps game there.
Thanks
They seem to have it very well organized on their website, it shows all the matches that they will be showing and you select the match to make your reservation, they do charge £5 per person upfront although this is part of your bar tab, so fair enough and it cuts out the no shows.

Most places accept walk-ins, but I would book as it is just a lottery if you can get in or not. Tbh, you will be fine anywhere if they have sky. THe obvious one is platform 5 (haymarket) as they have lots of space and screens but I dont actually like watching games in there normally.

Obv nowhere can play the commentary, (maybe not a bad thing) so any of the recomnded options would be fine.

It has been said for years, but us east coast bears need to sort ourselfs a good Edinburgh pub to watch games (after covid).

Been out in Edinburgh twice in the last few weeks and that wasn't the case for me. Some places are booking only but most were not. For example watched the Liverpool v Leeds game in Stramash as a walk-up. Also had a couple of pints in Tiles (that another poster suggested earlier) as a walk-up.

In saying all that for the OP wanting a dedicated place to watch a game then obviously worth booking.
Me n the mrs booked everywer 2 hr slots the place we wer in cold beer brew place next to blackbull and the blackbull Grass market, copper blossom just off George st no one was getting a walk ins, we actually came out copper blossom about 10:30pm and Tried a few places couldn’t get in anywer so just went bck to hotel. I’ll also add try to get bookings before going wasn’t plain sailing.
so I would book again.
if you’re fly solo maybe a different ball game.

I was there on a Saturday 2 weeks ago and struggled to get a walk in anywhere.

Luckily we had booked in advance for places but we had an hour between bookings so tried to get in alot of places without success

Thanks
They seem to have it very well organized on their website, it shows all the matches that they will be showing and you select the match to make your reservation, they do charge £5 per person upfront although this is part of your bar tab, so fair enough and it cuts out the no shows.

Yeah it’s good. Excellent beer selection in there.

I'm through in Edinburgh Oct 24th. Does anyone know any pubs that will show the livingstone game (not on sky) or even at a last resort any pubs that would let me use my virtual season ticket on their screens. I'm staying a village hotel so maybe they would?

Not a chance.

Get yourself round to @Maccersblue place with a cargo instead :p

Thanks

Good to know for future games.

Back