Match Thread Eintracht Frankfurt v Rangers - 20:00 Wednesday - BT Sport

Could be a lot worse.

We could've dropped into the lower Euro Conference League.

We could've then been seriously embarrassed by a little known team called Bodo Gump.

Then you wake up and you're a citizen of a country you hate.

Through hatred you cheer another country that really doesn't want anything to do with you.

And you go back again and again to support a club with a terrifying history with zero ambition over the last decade than to win Mickey Mouse Trophies.

So cheer up it could be a helluva lot worse

Could be a lot worse.

We could've dropped into the lower Euro Conference League.

We could've then been seriously embarrassed by a little known team called Bodo Gump.

Then you wake up and you're a citizen of a country you hate.

Through hatred you cheer another country that really doesn't want anything to do with you.

And you go back again and again to support a club with a terrifying history with zero ambition over the last decade than to win Mickey Mouse Trophies.

So cheer up it could be a helluva lot worse
Conference league losers but League and League Cup winners. How’s that worse?

Financially a step behind the scum again.

This is an absolute disaster, regardless of how far we got.
We needed to win to stay in touch.

Flange could go out and buy two decent CB’s and figure out his fitness training…
What a %^*& up.
Mate. We've earnt just as much through getting here than qualifying for the champions league.

We could still qualify which makes us financially better off if we do

Never said it was
But you’ve assumed, based on a match at a neutral venue, that we’d have beat them over two legs. A team that haven’t lost a game the whole tournament.

You’re basing your opinion of EF on tonight’s match which might not be representative of their form in earlier stages, much like us.

They were shite,we were way worse.You’ll never get a better opportunity to be crowned european champions
We didn’t want it enough.Disgusting the amount of effort the fans put in for that.I’d have been able to accept a bad result had every player laid it all ok the line but it wasn’t the case.

Just disappointed, and now it’s sinking in that I had really anticipated winning that match.
Unfortunately our team didn’t reach the heights of their group stage performances but I’m proud of them and their achievements in this tournament. On the occasion though I’m even more proud of our supporters - hope everyone gets home safe and we all at least get the joy this weekend of lifting the Scottish cup.

Too many players didn’t perform but we had chances in second half of extra time to win. Ramsey and Roofe shouldn’t have been brought on for penalties.

I know there's no 'I' in team and all that p1sh.

However, in the cold, harsh, freezing, mind-numbing light of day it's hard not to look individual performances.

Bassey apart, not one of them get's pass marks. That's how bad individually and collectively that team performance was last night. And that's taking nothing away from the opposition.

Again it's not about scapegoats but the amount of overhit diagonals from Goldson was mind-boggling. Of course it sums it up when you are looking to your centre back to hit the positive pass because your midfield is offering nothing.

The amount of misplaced passing and fluffing a pass as the team was being caught in possession all over the pitch was another feature of our play.

The equaliser summed up our night. The cross could maybe have been squeezed down out wide, but the ball across the goal simply has to be cleared by Goldson. No ifs, no buts. But then again that sloppiness has characterised our play all season and been one of the main reasons we frittered, squandered and spunked away the league.

So there's one last chance of silverware this season. There has to be wholesale changes frrom the team that offered us up that display last night. Lowry and Diallo must start and sod what that means to the so called team balance.

Playing this tippy-toe passing sideways, always sideways and allowing the opposition to filter back has to stop and playing at pace is a must. It also has to be said, never again should Scott Wright start a game before young Lowry.

Just going by some of the thread titles it would seem 'glorious failure' is still the order of the day. Not for me it ain't.

It was a brilliant, a fantastic run but it's now back to square one I'm afraid. We can only hope the past four seasons has given us a platform to build on and after last night that's all we have. Hope.

We didn’t leave everything on the pitch and that’s what the players gave to live with
Feel like that's true for some players.

The more I think about it the more it seems Frankfurt came to win and we came to not lose. They were dead on their feet from like the 75th minute and we didn't go for it. There were times their full backs couldn't even make runs anymore ffs.

Rangers weren’t at their best by some distance which was disappointing but that said overall I thought they played well across the 120 and as the game progressed they were just edging it.

To lose on Penalties is horrendous as it feels like losing without really losing the game.

The Players have gone above and beyond over and over this season to make this journey possible and I cannot be critical of them now.

Anyone who is just doesn’t understand or feel it.

Not really.

Given the team we have, we created miracles to get to the final. The team cost pennies compared to the teams we put out. Eintracht were sharper, yet we took the lead. A sad state of affairs let in the equaliser. How many similar goals have we let in? Then Kent nearly did it. So near, yet so far.

I was at work in the US during the game but kept up with the score. My plan was to watch later but I still haven't done so and I think for the first time ever don't even want to watch it. At least for now.

It's massively disappointing but i'm not going to dwell on it. Not only is the SC up next we can still go into next seasons CL groups. Made a significant impact in Europe and made a very tidy bundle of cash in doing so.

I'm over it already. Let kiddydale street obsess on it.

A story of what could have been and a journey that will never be forgotten. It’s an unbelievable achievement however you look at it. In the end to lose to the odd penalty in a final is nothing to be raging about. Don’t get me wrong, I’m gutted but nowhere near raging. I’ve read all the chat about this player should have done that or that player should have done this and the manager should or shouldn’t have. Remember this:
We held Frankfurt for 120 mins and came close to a winner. It wasn’t pretty, but it wasn’t 11 men behind the ball.
We got there and played without a recognised centre forward.
Every one of the guys that stepped up to take a penalty were first of all willing to do so and secondly, the proven best we had to do it. If others were willing to take one but didn’t, it’s because in the well drilled practice of penalty taking, they didn’t show up good enough in training to be in the top 5. We had our top 5 and then some on the park at the end of the game, be in no doubt about that. To suggest otherwise is grasping at straws.
We have continued to show we are capable of reaching the latter stages of European football on a consistent basis. We have the respect in Europe that has been missing for far too long. I’ve got to add we have a young centre/ left back that wouldn’t look out of place in any team.

On reflection Gio and team set out for slow build, possession based football, however Frankfurt set out for quick attacking play and high percentage ball to the box. This meant we were never going to lose heavily, but were never going to produce loads of chances. Also very evident that we were the more nervous team throughout.

Would have been nice for Gio to tell the lads forget 'process' and just play football with heart in the late second half and extra time. Still immensely proud of the fact we got there at all, now let's make sure we win the cup.

Apart from Bassey and McGregor,not one of them turned up and not for the first time.Slow to the ball,too much pissing about with the ball at the back sitting back when 1up.Just all far too familiar traits we have been subjected to this season.It was a great run but nothing to show for it in the end.

Last edited:
well done rangers
we weren't at our best and without a centre forward
but i was proud of the performance throughout the tournament
on another day maybe but not quite there

Gio must have endorsed the early long ball tactic as he spotted a flaw in there full backs but I think we would have been better attacking them by building up and bring it out wide, it caused undue pressure by giving possession straight back to them and allowed Frankfurt to gain control of the game. Our plan was flawed and needed changing quicker and we could have exploited them. They were ok we just failed to implement any form of plan and were a little stuck for ideas and shape at times.

I think some of the anger comes out of fact we did not play up to our standard but let's not forget what we did to get here. Life of a football fan. Got to accept some days it just does not happen and let's not stoop to the filths standard and hammer players that have put a lot into this club.

In the cold light of Day, you have to look back on this campaign with nothing but pride at a fantastic achievement in manoeuvring through 18 matches to reach a major European final and in the end losing out by only the narrowest of margins. It is easy to pick through the bones of that defeat, the defensive clearance that should have been made, the chance that should have been scored, the substitution that should have been made, the tactics that should have been changed etc etc etc. Had we pipped them to the post, they would have been going through exactly the same agonies this morning. The chances they missed, the mistake they made at our goal, the McGregor save and so on. At the end of the day, that's football, it can lift you to the greatest highs then plummet you to the lowest depths all in the blink of an eye. Rangers have made us proud again and Europe has taken notice.

Im absolutely heart broken over last night, but I couldn’t be any more prouder of this team/club, we can hold our heads high, might not feel like it just now but we’ve got another cup final on Saturday and I know me and everyone else will be right up for it come kick off,
What a journey it has been

It was a missed opportunity as they were very beatable, gutted about the result.

I am proud of the team for getting us there and not going to bother talking about individual players as apart from Bassey and McGregor you could pick fault with the rest of them but it would be pointless.

The players will have plenty of regrets for that game.

A big mistake was not giving Lowry any game time after being one of the best players on the pitch against Hearts.

In the starting line up last night we didn't have many players who can get a shot on target. For example Kent is a very good player for build up play and assisting but his shooting skills are very poor.

Lowry has proven that they knows how to get a shot on target so should have been subbed on early in the second half at the very least.

Apart from Bassey and McGregor,not one of them turned up and not for the first time.Slow to the ball,too much pissing about with the ball at the back sitting back when 1up.Just all far too familiar traits we have been subjected to this season.It was a great run but nothing to show for it in the end.
You must be some footballer mate

I know there's no 'I' in team and all that p1sh.

However, in the cold, harsh, freezing, mind-numbing light of day it's hard not to look individual performances.

Bassey apart, not one of them get's pass marks. That's how bad individually and collectively that team performance was last night. And that's taking nothing away from the opposition.

Again it's not about scapegoats but the amount of overhit diagonals from Goldson was mind-boggling. Of course it sums it up when you are looking to your centre back to hit the positive pass because your midfield is offering nothing.

The amount of misplaced passing and fluffing a pass as the team was being caught in possession all over the pitch was another feature of our play.

The equaliser summed up our night. The cross could maybe have been squeezed down out wide, but the ball across the goal simply has to be cleared by Goldson. No ifs, no buts. But then again that sloppiness has characterised our play all season and been one of the main reasons we frittered, squandered and spunked away the league.

So there's one last chance of silverware this season. There has to be wholesale changes frrom the team that offered us up that display last night. Lowry and Diallo must start and sod what that means to the so called team balance.

Playing this tippy-toe passing sideways, always sideways and allowing the opposition to filter back has to stop and playing at pace is a must. It also has to be said, never again should Scott Wright start a game before young Lowry.

Just going by some of the thread titles it would seem 'glorious failure' is still the order of the day. Not for me it ain't.

It was a brilliant, a fantastic run but it's now back to square one I'm afraid. We can only hope the past four seasons has given us a platform to build on and after last night that's all we have. Hope.
A brutally truthful post. Agree re bassey, he was immense. Actually thought Wright was doing not too bad last night.
Overall, they never got going, wouldnt say they shat it, just gave the other team too much respect.

Can’t expect to win a European final with so many poor performers on the night. We were so tentative and passive at times, not winning enough second balls. A supreme effort getting to the final and hanging in until the bitter end, just not good enough on the night against a talented team.

we gave them far too much respect and played the first 20mins like an away tie.
we dominate the last 25mins.
Why we then start the 2nd half like we did the first is strange.
Once again we go on to dominate.

The game was there to be won and id like roofe to be on earlier but was he fit enough for longer?
I've stated numerous times since the OF defeat at Ibrox we should ditch Ramsey and start playing lowry a lot more, everyone of us were saying this from half time.

if it wasnt for poor final ball, sloppy finishing and poor subs we'd have won that game last night. A massive opportunity blown.

Whatever was going on when we were deciding our penalty takers looked amateurish compared to the germans.

So disappointing, typical Rangers to beat 2nd and 4th best teams in Germany, to then lose the most important game to a team sitting 12th.

Fucking typical.

For me, Goldson can’t be forgiven for the lapse at their goal. He has to put that ball out for a corner, you can’t let balls like that go across the 6yd box. Wright didn’t do enough to stop the ball coming in, but it needs to be dealt with after that point.

Kent, has to score his chance. It’s harder to hit that back at the keeper then it is to side foot it into the near corner.

Two lapses at the most crucial of points lost us that game. Watched back the highlights this morning and I’m still furious at the goal we lost, there was no need to lose that goal. It was shocking defending.

Total clear out of players is required in the summer now, as ultimately the season is a major disappointment.

Threw away the league.
Lost what is likely the biggest game of those players careers. There’s no recovery from that.

Disappointing result and performance. That game was there for the taking and we failed to grab our chance.

Still down in the dumps, but hopefully Saturday will give us a wee bit of consolation.

So gutted, personally won't get over this for a long time but I can't fault any of the players at all, what a run we've had just a shame we couldn't get it over the line.

Actually feel sorry for Ramsey, it can't be easy to deal with the aftermath of missing a penalty in such an important game.

We'll pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off, we've got a Scottish Cup to win.

Never forget we are Rangers, the most successful club in this country and we should be proud of all we've achieved, don't let anyone tell you any different.

Why does Borna play backwards 9 out of 10 times. He rarely moves the ball forward or even runs forward with the ball. Does my nut in.
I don't think he's the most confident of players & quite a timid performer & it didn't look as if we were going to get much out of him in an attacking sense last night - I would have been tempted to bring on Balogun & move Bassey left earlier to try & get up the pitch on that side.

I would also have had Roofe on earlier - there's no second legs in the final - last night was our only chance.

We were really unlucky to lose Hagi, Roofe & Alfie at the same time - it really blunted us. As hard working as Wright & Sakala are, they are well short of those 3 at that level.

I don't think he's the most confident of players & quite a timid performer & it didn't look as if we were going to get much out of him in an attacking sense last night - I would have been tempted to bring on Balogun & move Bassey left earlier to try & get up the pitch on that side.

I would also have had Roofe on earlier - there's no second legs in the final - last night was our only chance.

We were really unlucky to lose Hagi, Roofe & Alfie at the same time - it really blunted us. As hard working as Wright & Sakala are, they are well short of those 3 at that level.
if balogun was fit id have done this early 2nd half.

Why does Borna play backwards 9 out of 10 times. He rarely moves the ball forward or even runs forward with the ball. Does my nut in.
Borna has never been the quickest player but this season he's looked as if he's lost any pace he had and he knows it. He's still a threat if you leave gaps down the wing for him to attack and his technical ability is still there but if you press him he's just going to turn back and play it to another defender, him taking anyone on 1v1 has become a rare sight.

Having had a bit of time to calm down a bit. I am proud of the team getting to this stage and getting to a final. I made comments and have had made many comments about not being convinced by Gio at all. After everything, I am still unconvinced by Gio and still don't think he's a great manager or makes good decisions when required. He deserves more time and time to build his own squad but he has options now and simply refuses to use them.

Last night was a one of off game. Everyone had to give it their all. Players, manager etc. Gio 100% had to go for it and Gio 100% did NOT go for it. Was one of the worst performances Kent has put in and there have been many. In fact, Kent has so many more poor games than good it's unreal but yet he stayed on. We didn't play with a striker. Fully match fit or not Roofe should have been on much sooner and we looked more dangerous with him on. The decision to take Sakala off was baffling - did he explain that one and I missed it.

Our guys gave it their all in so many games on the run up to this and too many just didn't give it much at all last night. The manager, well, I just hope he starts making the right decisions much quicker soon.

Hope the bears over there still had a good time and despite the disappointment still had fun. We go again and we try to get back to this position again. Sadly, I don't think it'll happy any time soon. The chance to become immortal and legends is truly gone for this group of players but we can still have good runs in Europe.

Back