Ejaria - Gedion Zelalem Mark II?

Ejaria is shit of form and likely suffering from a form of fatigue.

A part of the process of becoming a player is surely to learn the fitness load of becoming a player, he is playing oft and in high intensity games of football.

He has plenty talent and attributes, he is a good pivot of play, keeps the ball moving and tends to do it in limited touches while taking the ball from any angle.

He will have a solid career as a player, i quite like him.

He has bags of ability. I remember the home game against UFA (i think) that he kept the ball at the edge of their box off 3 or 4 defenders and I thought we had a real player on our hands.

He seems to struggle to get involved in games though. Maybe he just doesn't suit the 100mph speed of Scottish football.

I just can't agree with the negative on Ejaria on here, I think he is a fantastic player and creates a lot of opportunity for us and given he is built like the side of a pencil his strength in winning the ball is fantastic.

Sure he has had a couple of off games but I think he will be a big player in a few years time.

Last edited:
He certainly hasn't lived up to Gerrard's description of him when we signed him anyway.

I actually think he is very talented and I agree with RFC4ME that he'll go on and have a decent enough career, but it won't be at a top club.

The scary thing is Liverpool would probably ask for £10m for him if anyone did show an interest after this season such is the transfer market down there.

He’s 21. Whether we like it or not, he’s here to devolop, he’s going to be inconsistent.

Liverpool don’t want a player who’s not the finished article, they want him being inconsistent elsewhere.

Ejaria has never played this many games in a short period of time in his career before and I think it's showing, he looks really jaded.

There's definitely a talented player there, not sure he is suited for us however.

He’s 21. Whether we like it or not, he’s here to devolop, he’s going to be inconsistent.

Liverpool don’t want a player who’s not the finished article, they want him being inconsistent elsewhere.

Well he’s certainly not disappointing anyone in that respect.

I juts can't agree with the negative on Ejaria on here, I think he is a fantastic player and creates a lot of opportunity for us and given he is built like the side of a pencil his strength in winning the ball is fantastic.

Sure he has had a couple of off games but I think he will be a big player in a few years time.

I think he's done well, too, and doesn't shirk a challenge or shy away from tracking back.
He's struggled to get into matches recently though.
Remember this is his first taste of playing back-to-back matches at a massive club.
You can't expect him to be 8/10 every week.

The boy seems to have regressed in recent weeks. He needs to pull his socks up - both figuratively and literally.

He no longer commits players going forward. Is this down to the midfield role that Gerrard has given him? Not having Ryan Kent to link with lately? Not being able to compete physically? Not having played much first team football and being jaded?

He should have been subbed instead of Coulibaly the other night.

He's an extremely frustrating footballer and not one suited to a game with the circumstances of the other night, when we are chasing a game against a well organised unit after losing an early goal.

He has 2 goals and 1 assist for the season which is simply not good enough in his position.

He’s certainly disappointing after a promising early start. Not one to turn a draw into a win that’s for sure.

Not seen anything promising so far. Fails to excite is about the best I can say of the lad but it is early days, hopefully will be up and running after winter break.

Some amount of hysteria on here over a bad result ... defeats happen off nights happen the need to blame individuals or question the decisions to let players leave is bat shit crazy on here .!

I juts can't agree with the negative on Ejaria on here, I think he is a fantastic player and creates a lot of opportunity for us and given he is built like the side of a pencil his strength in winning the ball is fantastic.

You realise he is on loan til the summer?

EDIT - thought that read 'big player for us in a few years time'

Ejaria looked a decent shout as a squad player.

Expecting him to be a creative fulcrum of this team is unfair.

I always thought it questionable to have two young unproven guys in their early 20s on loan expecting them to be first team mainstays in the middle of the park.

I think the one glaring failure of last summer’s signing strategy was failing to recruit more experienced midfielders, but in fairness Murphy was still fit at the time and Dorrans was expected to play a part too.

It’s certainly crying out to be addressed next month.

The problem is you can't be a regular Rangers central midfielder and disappear for considerably large portions of games. We play at a lower level but inconsistency isn't tolerated any more at Rangers than it is Liverpool.

We've seen with Zelalem, Goss etc in recent years that it's all good having ability but the roles and responsibilities of being a Rangers midfielder is a world away from the sterile world of academy football or being on loan to English Championship or League 1 dreck with little to no expectations and demands.

I really like him to be honest - Although, he can't keep up the tempo for a full game and at times seems completely oblivious as to what is going on around him.

IF Coulibaly could recapture in the role and form of his first 5 or 6 games, the entire team would benefit.

He's been inconsistent, always playing on the periphery of the game, but he is young . Problem is we need an experienced play-maker. He is the only one other than Arfield capable of taking on a player and creating space, the others are simply not that type of player.

Ejaria is shit of form and likely suffering from a form of fatigue.

A part of the process of becoming a player is surely to learn the fitness load of becoming a player, he is playing oft and in high intensity games of football.

He has plenty talent and attributes, he is a good pivot of play, keeps the ball moving and tends to do it in limited touches while taking the ball from any angle.

He will have a solid career as a player, i quite like him.
I also think he will be a good player. He is a young lad and his form will go up and down. We really need an experienced creative player to help out in midfield,that along with another striker.

Said this very same thing on Wednesday night. Nice touches, turns into space but runs out of ideas and passes it back or takes the sting out of games.

When he arrived he looked the business. I really took to his style of play and thought he’d be a real classy addition to our midfield. I still believe he will be but it just looks that he and one or two others are fast running out of steam as they’ve probably never experienced so many games with so much importance in such a short time.
As for Zelalem , I’d have him back in a heartbeat. We’d have won the Scottish Cup had Warburton not hooked him that day. He was head and shoulders above anyone on the park that day. Put any of these two players in along with a ball winner and it’ll come good.
We need to remember we’ve brought young players from near obscurity to throwing them into a high pressure environment and need to expect there will be lulls in their performance.

Reactions: Dio
You mean former Champions League player and future EPL star Gedion Zelalem??? :rolleyes:

If so, then Ejaria has a bright future ahead of him.

In all seriousness I like Ejaria, I think he's a good player, ok at times he can be a bit nonchalant which can lose possession and on Wednesday I felt he maybe shirked a bit of responsibility, but he's a young player and generally does more positive than negative in a match.

Dont rate him at all. Slows the play down far too much and doesnt really influence the game. A while ago he was at least good at winning the ball back but hes not even doing that anymore.

Needs dropped quickly.

Gerrard probably thought when we took on these young loan signings that they would not be getting the game time they have..
Injury suspensions and bad luck has made them the main stays of the team which is a lot to ask of young inexperienced players.
Playing every 3 or 4 days is catching up on the full squad.

Hopefully they see it out till January and we get in some more quality to complement what we have for the runin
We need more options for tricky tight games

Lads still developing. Works hard and has already improved during his time here. He wasn't breaking up play the way he does now when he first came in nor was he as aggressive at pressing. There's room for improvement aye but that's why he's here.

He has bags of ability. I remember the home game against UFA (i think) that he kept the ball at the edge of their box off 3 or 4 defenders and I thought we had a real player on our hands.

He seems to struggle to get involved in games though. Maybe he just doesn't suit the 100mph speed of Scottish football.

The English game is faster.

If he can't keep up with play up here he certainly wont down there.

Well Liverpool are going to be disappointed then.He has as much chance of being a Liverpool player as I have.A career playing for the likes of Wigan or Rotherham awaits for this guy

Well Liverpool are going to be disappointed then.He has as much chance of being a Liverpool player as I have.A career playing for the likes of Wigan or Rotherham awaits for this guy

He already is a Liverpool player though lol. Take it you must have a contract at Liverpool too?

The boy quite clearly has some ability but it normally all comes to nothing. It’s great watching him worm his way out from 3 opposition player a bit ulrimately to pass the ball side ways or backwards. Like has been said previously he has no end product or cutting edge. I do however think he plays much deeper than I expected and I would like. He seems to pick the conservative option more than not. I’d really like to see him played at number 10 and be told to drive at the defence and support Alfie and maybe be given a bit of freedom to express himself and attack the opposition.

Reactions: TQ3

Great. Can we sign him in a few years then?

At this point he is a complete passenger.

He’s a very neat and tidy player but with all his fancy foot work he just never seems to make a killer pass or will turn back when it’s somwtimes easier to go forward

He is just off form, hasn't played well since the international break. I think he is a good player and has a lot to offer the team with his close control and strength on the ball. I think the amount of games he has played this season will have come as a shock both mentally and physically he is being asked to produce week in week out and that is not easy for a 21 yo with the added pressure of being at Rangers, once he gets passed this sticky point he will start to contribute more again and be a big player for us again.

Ejaria has never played this many games in a short period of time in his career before and I think it's showing, he looks really jaded.
No wonder hes not as hes bloody hopeless. Jaded? Nope he just not very good. Get Haliday in the middle he wont prance about thinkin hes thd next Pirlo and better than everyone else with daft wee flicks and wee circles with the ball. Zelalem had a wee bit of steel about him Ejaria is a shitebag.

He seems to be playing deeper and deeper as the weeks pass and he is the one player in our team who can play that telling pass so get him further upfield and let the likes of Jack, Couli, Rossiter, McCrorie do the donkey work.

In terms of ball rentention and overall ability i still think he's a stand out in the squad, he needs to do it more consistently though.

The problem is you can't be a regular Rangers central midfielder and disappear for considerably large portions of games. We play at a lower level but inconsistency isn't tolerated any more at Rangers than it is Liverpool.

We've seen with Zelalem, Goss etc in recent years that it's all good having ability but the roles and responsibilities of being a Rangers midfielder is a world away from the sterile world of academy football or being on loan to English Championship or League 1 dreck with little to no expectations and demands.

I didn’t say you can. That’s something you’d need to tell the guys signing and playing him.

Majority of the time when you loan a player in, you get an unfinished product who’s here to make the mistakes, learn and is going to be inconsistent.

Back