El Hadji Diouf

TheMandalorian

For me, he was one of our best signings in the last decade from an off-field point of view. The players were struggling under the pressure at that time and the managerial genius that was Walter Smith recognised that. With one swift signing, he took all the heat from the squad and dumped it firmly on the shoulders of a man who he knew could handle it. The media had it in for him from day 1, the mentally challengeds hated him - and he in turn hated them right back. Him lording it over that halfwit Broony with a league and cup double was tremendous B-D

_52126276_gersplayers466.jpg

What a guy, I remember reading he got sent home on his first day back at Blackburn for jumping abt with his winners medal

Rangers jersey with his medal around his neck...and blackburn training shorts at their training centre

if you type 'el hadji diouf rangers medal blackburn' into google and select images its the second photo. Apologies im at work and it doesnt let me post pics

Players often get strange myths attached to his name, and the one with Diouf seems to have been that he was deliberately signed to take the attention away from the rest of the squad.

Not sure I entirely buy that. I'm sure when Walter signed him he was hoping for more than one goal in the run up to a really tight league finish we won by a single point.

He was great for the wind up factor, but I can't remember him actually accomplishing much in the pitch of note. Worth it though to have him do the "broony" holding the cups though.

What's with the scumbag comments? I know he had a bit of a reputation but that seems a bit harsh (maybe something I'm missing).

I think it was an attempt by Walter to get some quality into the team without paying out a load of money. I seem to recall there was another player in the same sort of category - but I can't remember who it was!

Rangers jersey with his medal around his neck...and blackburn training shorts at their training centre

if you type 'el hadji diouf rangers medal blackburn' into google and select images its the second photo. Apologies im at work and it doesnt let me post pics
If that’s true, I love it

They still go on about that celebration even though Diouf absolutely humiliated Lego with it with the last laugh. Sums up our dominance over them as a club really

Anyone saying Diouf was sh1te is being disrespectful. Diouf came and played a big part (15 times in fact) in us winning the title, in a season where Celtic accumulated 92 points.

He also played a massive part in our European campaign after Xmas where we knocked Sporting out on away goals. Diouf scored in Lisbon that night, before Edu scored in the last minute to send us through.

His morals are questionable to say the least, but he was far from a sh1te signing in terms of what he bought to the table on the pitch.

Anyone saying Diouf was sh1te is being disrespectful. Diouf came and played a big part (15 times in fact) in us winning the title, in a season where Celtic accumulated 92 points.

He also played a massive part in our European campaign after Xmas where we knocked Sporting out on away goals. Diouf scored in Lisbon that night, before Edu scored in the last minute to send us through.

His morals are questionable to say the least, but he was far from a sh1te signing in terms of what he bought to the table on the pitch.
What were his best 5 games for us?

It was absolutely worth it just for the wind up.

Does anyone remember Craig Burley going absolutely apoplectic about him singing for us? I don't think I've ever heard a more vitriolic rant in my life about a player from a so-called pundit.

Yes, I think this was on Setanta? He was reporting on another game and went absolutely mental. Proper Howard Beale stuff.

My favourite Diouf moment was probably when he signed and declared that he was "still a Muslim, but a Protestant Muslim" :D

His touch and hold up play was different class, never gave the ball away and won countless free kicks. He helped see out a number of tight games at the end of the season so absolutely did a job. Off the field he was a real character but I must say, did a lot of work with the charity foundation and had a lot of time for the fans. I remember him fondly.

For me, he was one of our best signings in the last decade from an off-field point of view. The players were struggling under the pressure at that time and the managerial genius that was Walter Smith recognised that. With one swift signing, he took all the heat from the squad and dumped it firmly on the shoulders of a man who he knew could handle it. The media had it in for him from day 1, the mentally challengeds hated him - and he in turn hated them right back. Him lording it over that halfwit Broony with a league and cup double was tremendous B-D
I don't think he was one of our best signings and I'd say Aluko was better. Didn't really take to him,you always had a feeling if he'd stay on the pitch,too volitile.

I honestly never understood why the mentally challenged idolized that image of the Scott Brown arms spread out, showing off his woefully under-sized cranium gesturing towards a man that was here for 5 minutes, made Brown look like a simple minge, won a league and cup double then pissed off.

Even a decade on when the lego gobbler was leaving the chamber of secrets, the filth commissioned a simple logo of 'The Broony' paying homage to Browns spectacular failure that season.

article-1388323-0C1483B800000578-546_308x185.jpg

_51813275_diouf466.jpg

I honestly never understood why the mentally challenged idolized that image of the Scott Brown arms spread out, showing off his woefully under-sized cranium gesturing towards a man that was here for 5 minutes, made Brown look like a simple minge, won a league and cup double then pissed off.

Even a decade on when the lego gobbler was leaving the chamber of secrets, the filth commissioned a simple logo of 'The Broony' paying homage to Browns spectacular failure that season.

article-1388323-0C1483B800000578-546_308x185.jpg

_51813275_diouf466.jpg
Look at Walter and Ally in that first photo

Diouf had crazy first goalscorer odds v sporting Lisbon away, 12/1 50 quid on it.

He was mental. The diouf chant v them before Jamie Ness' goal was electric. Ness finish wasn't bad either haha

Get what you mean, right fit, right time. On the face of it, it was a "what on earth are they thinking" but it paid off in spades.

Never liked him and thought he brought very little to the team.Believed his own hype and the fact Gerard thought very little of him tells its own story.
Obviously gave us a timely boost of sorts as he had a high profile but it wasn’t for his footballing ability.
I’ll never know how he managed to win African Footballer of the Year

Remember Senegal beating France in the World Cup and Diouf looked like he would go on to take football by storm. Not quite, but still can’t help but smile when I see how much he loved winning trophies with us.

Players often get strange myths attached to his name, and the one with Diouf seems to have been that he was deliberately signed to take the attention away from the rest of the squad.

Not sure I entirely buy that. I'm sure when Walter signed him he was hoping for more than one goal in the run up to a really tight league finish we won by a single point.

Not a myth on this occasion mate, Walter has said this was part of his thinking.

Never liked him and thought he brought very little to the team.Believed his own hype and the fact Gerard thought very little of him tells its own story.
Obviously gave us a timely boost of sorts as he had a high profile but it wasn’t for his footballing ability.
I’ll never know how he managed to win African Footballer of the Year

Well he did it twice.

Back