Elgin player in betting scam

Sancus

A SCOTS footie star is among four men to have appeared in court over an alleged £16,000 betting scam.

Elgin City forward Kane Hester is charged with forming a fraudulent scheme with three co-accused to receive a booking during a League Cup game between his club and Hibs last July.

Hester, 24, Brodie Myers, 26, Calvin Parrott, 24, and Findlay Soutar, 23, face a charge of obtaining money through the formation of a fraudulent scheme.

The petition alleges the scheme involved placing bets on Hester receiving a booking from the referee during the cup game at Elgin’s Borough Briggs Stadium on July 26 last year.

Prosecutors say between July 25 and August 2, the men agreed the footballer would purposely commit a foul, placed three separate bets on him receiving a booking and that Hester received a booking by stamping on the calf of an opponent.

The petition alleges the yellow card Hester received led to a payout of approximately £16,000 in winnings from Bet365, which was obtained by fraud.

I bet this happens every single weekend in the lower leagues. I do wonder how they were caught though, just getting greedy maybe?

A £16k payout for a booking on this type of game from one bookie is just mental what did they think would happen must be idiots, all bookmakers have teams looking for irregular patterns this will have been one the easiest they have found.

I bet this happens every single weekend in the lower leagues. I do wonder how they were caught though, just getting greedy maybe?
You cant really bet on players to get carded in lower league games. This market would have only been there because it was a high profile game vs hibs I'd imagine. This 16k win would have stuck out like a sore thumb on bet365s systems - a 16k payout on a random player and if he doesnt ger carded a lot and the odds were generous they can spot high odds, high stake and high payout bets a mile off.

How much? :D

Daft boys thinking they could get away with this get rich quick scheme!

How thick must they be to get caught, use lots of small bets on accounts in other peoples names.Id imagine this happening in every club outwith the top leagues.

Lower leagues are rife with this type of nonsense, and tbf i dont blame them. If you were coming to hte end of your career at a part time lower league team, would you really care if you were caught or banned?

You cant really bet on players to get carded in lower league games. This market would have only been there because it was a high profile game vs hibs I'd imagine. This 16k win would have stuck out like a sore thumb on bet365s systems - a 16k payout on a random player and if he doesnt ger carded a lot and the odds were generous they can spot high odds, high stake and high payout bets a mile off.

There’s every chance they all come from the same area as well, probably in or near Elgin.

A SCOTS footie star is among four men to have appeared in court over an alleged £16,000 betting scam.

Elgin City forward Kane Hester is charged with forming a fraudulent scheme with three co-accused to receive a booking during a League Cup game between his club and Hibs last July.

Hester, 24, Brodie Myers, 26, Calvin Parrott, 24, and Findlay Soutar, 23, face a charge of obtaining money through the formation of a fraudulent scheme.

The petition alleges the scheme involved placing bets on Hester receiving a booking from the referee during the cup game at Elgin’s Borough Briggs Stadium on July 26 last year.

Prosecutors say between July 25 and August 2, the men agreed the footballer would purposely commit a foul, placed three separate bets on him receiving a booking and that Hester received a booking by stamping on the calf of an opponent.

The petition alleges the yellow card Hester received led to a payout of approximately £16,000 in winnings from Bet365, which was obtained by fraud.
He deserves the jail if that’s the case

I remember getting told to back a team about 5 years ago. The team in question were away from home, 5 places below their opponents, had lost 4 out of 5 of their last games, and were 6/1 to win the game.

They won 2-0!
the question is , did you ?

How thick must they be to get caught, use lots of small bets on accounts in other peoples names.Id imagine this happening in every club outwith the top leagues.
That’s exactly what they will have done no way would a single on that kind of bet been accepted on that game . It obviously still flags as that kind of payout for someone to be booked in that low profile a game sticks out like a sore thumb .

Reactions: zig
For about 6/7 years in a row the Northern Ireland championship was great for fixed matches and score lines the last few matches of the season. If I mind right a couple players from Limavady United (one from Ballymoney) were caught and the whole thing stopped unfortunately. Made a good bit off it.

The Nigerian league is cracking for this sort of thing.

There was one earlier in the year where a guy posted in a private group that a game was going to finish 4-2. We all stuck a tenner on it at about 18/1, game finished 4-2, Sky Bet refused to pay out.

must be happening every week.Usually one story at least every year now of lower leagues games getting fixed.

Say 11/2
3 bets at £750 would roughly be 16k I think.
Utter fuddery.
Bookies are not stupid.

And yet we watch refs bend rules in our games so we get more cards or pick them up quicker than every team we play against and often its live tv games where theres plenty of special bets on bookings.

But never ask are these guys gambling ?

They need to be a bit cleverer than that!

It will happen in the majority of games up an down the country at all levels but it's the smart ones that will get away with it.

Silly boys, you would need a pattern of betting on player cards with big money for this to slip under the radar these days, which is obviously not feasible. Betting company's have some of the best analytic systems.

Very stupid, remember watching their game vs raith rovers a couple months back, he is a great player and scored that night but never once cracked a smile. At the time i didnt know he had been done with gambling

Not surprised this has happened, just surprised more people don’t get caught on a more regular basis. Lower leagues is full of it

Lower leagues are rife with this type of nonsense, and tbf i dont blame them. If you were coming to hte end of your career at a part time lower league team, would you really care if you were caught or banned?
Yes mate .
There have been corruptions unearthed of course but it’s much deeper than anyone in authorities will ever accept . Blind denial. I know of players in Scottish league in past co-operating on outcomes through someone who played in them for a number of years.

here’s a thing though in a more general sense , what’s the odds of any Celtic player getting a red card in domestic game ? Almost zero right . the public could be hammering the bookies on that

How much did you win?
Nothing! The guy in question was one of those blowhard types you seem to get in every bookies. Some he gets right, some he gets wrong.

To give an insight to this guy - he shouts at the screen when the cartoon stock cars are on. He also knows which numbers are coming out in the roulette. Despite his amazing insider knowledge he travels by bus and dresses in the same trackie bottoms every day. He’s either keeping his wealth under the radar or he’s a Walter Mitty. On reflection, looks like I’ve just described Frank McGarvey.

Back