Elgin player in betting scam

I remember it happened a few year back with a junior team. Home defeat in one of the cups at 7/1. Plenty of us made a nice little earner that day.

It’s widespread in the lower leagues.

I’ve seen players pick up up their weekly pay packet from a club, pool the cash and stick it on in the bookies, turning their £100 a week into £500. Always a positive result for their team and never throwing a game.

I’ve seen teams chose a player with decent odds to score at any time, dive for a penalty, then the chosen player hits the penalty.

Also seen teams choose a win by a correct score in a top vs bottom match, get to the score, then stop trying for the last 30 minutes.

But I’ve never seen a guy bet on himself to get booked, then go out and injure an opponent. That’s pretty sick.

If they did cash on a bookie shop they might have got away with it although I don't know if a shop would have that bet.

Bet 365 are strict with proof of ID so it would be easy to trace them.

It's absolutely rife in the lower leagues.

Players usually gamble their "bonus" to get extra money.

That just shows how ridiculous gambling is nowadays. Betting on somebody getting a yellow card? Fu.ck sake.

o8bxFy2.gif

For about 6/7 years in a row the Northern Ireland championship was great for fixed matches and score lines the last few matches of the season. If I mind right a couple players from Limavady United (one from Ballymoney) were caught and the whole thing stopped unfortunately. Made a good bit off it.
Yeah, last few games of the seasons most of the NI bookies only accept treble and upwards now.

I noticed McLeans were doing this in the last round of the Irish Cup too.

Followed the boy conso when we played east fife and he was mates with one of the players and the chat between them was evident that something was amiss

Lower leagues are rife with this type of nonsense, and tbf i dont blame them. If you were coming to hte end of your career at a part time lower league team, would you really care if you were caught or banned?
Maybe not, but getting the jail puts a different spin on it.

I bet this happens every single weekend in the lower leagues. I do wonder how they were caught though, just getting greedy maybe?
it seems an irregular bet,,i bet regulary but woud never think of betting on a booking

Would be tempting to do if you were in the position but not worth it as any decent win and you are caught. Doubt it will be first time probably done a few for less money and getting greedier

Remember Le Tissier saying something after he retired that he kicked the ball out straight from kick off one game and made money on a throw in bet.

Lower leagues are rife with this type of nonsense, and tbf i dont blame them. If you were coming to hte end of your career at a part time lower league team, would you really care if you were caught or banned?
You'd care if you were going to prison

The only good thing about Elgin is the grab a granny night (a Wednesday ) seems Like a staunch place but quite slow people ye Ken

They are, all from Montrose. He was a part time fireman and I believe he got sacked from that and also sacked from his full time job because of it.

A tad harsh before he’s even been convicted. It doesn’t say he’s plead guilty, so I’m assuming he’s taking it to trial.

There’s some markets in Scotland which are rife for insider trading.

One of my pals is in a group chat with dozens of u20’s/reserve players who share team news for reserve games the day before the game.

A tad harsh before he’s even been convicted. It doesn’t say he’s plead guilty, so I’m assuming he’s taking it to trial.
Could be he never reported being charged and that’s caused him to be sacked. Some occupations require you to notify police charges immediately, guilty or not, as your integrity has been called into question.

Back