Elgin player in betting scam

How thick must they be to get caught, use lots of small bets on accounts in other peoples names.Id imagine this happening in every club outwith the top leagues.

I suspect a high volume of unusual bets amounting to the same total would only add to the flags raised, but I suppose would still make it harder to trace.

I mind when spread betting became a thing, especially the first throw in.

Watching top flight English games on the telly and the ball be punted out the park straight from kick off was common.

And don't forget, the Italian Hero of 82, Rossi, was banned for most of the Time since the 78 WC cos he was fixing.

Bets like that stick out like a sore thumb. They got greedy when lots of smaller bets with various bookies would have likely went unnoticed.

How on earth fid they think it wouldnt be noticed. I could understand if theyd used different bookies ffs.

The fact that there is now so many markets to bet on must make it so tempting for lower league players to try and make a bit of extra cash.

Think this boy seen the pound signs and got too greedy.

Thing I’m struggling with is bet365 offering specific players to be carded in such a shitey game

They only ever offer it in EPL or televised matches

Bit of a fall guy in a way, plenty of dodgy stuff goes on everyday and is let go. This is a great opportunity for 365 to look like they are clamping down on players fixing at the end of the day, they have been in the papers for so much negative stuff recently a story like this looks good and also they can show it to the GamCom as something they are doing to clampdown on it all.

Bets like that stick out like a sore thumb. They got greedy when lots of smaller bets with various bookies would have likely went unnoticed.

Doesn't take much to rise a liability at 11/2.

These lot would spot it in a shot as well.

Last edited:
The Nigerian league is cracking for this sort of thing.

There was one earlier in the year where a guy posted in a private group that a game was going to finish 4-2. We all stuck a tenner on it at about 18/1, game finished 4-2, Sky Bet refused to pay out.

The annoying thing with this is say I had the other team to win as part of an accumulator or whatever, there's no way they'd give me my tenner back.

Makes me wonder about celtic when they kicked off against us at Ibrox earlier this season. Maybe their not getting paid as much as we think:p

The bookies have brought this on themselves with their greed. It seems like they just want people constantly betting online all the way through the game. For that reason, I hope the guys get away with it. Cant blame people for being greedy, when the bookies are the greediest of all.

Makes me wonder about celtic when they kicked off against us at Ibrox earlier this season. Maybe their not getting paid as much as we think:p

The bookies have brought this on themselves with their greed. It seems like they just want people constantly betting online all the way through the game. For that reason, I hope the guys get away with it. Cant blame people for being greedy, when the bookies are the greediest of all.

Of course they do, every bet in theory laid should be a good bet for the bookies at the end of the day. More bets taken then higher the profit potential, works the same as a standard Roulette wheel.

Problem with saying about fixing being ok is how would you feel if you backed team A to win but they had purposely thrown the game, or a Horse to win and the Jockey was in on a fix for it to lose etc...

Not too fussed about players betting on other leagues but this one needs dealt with. The market for that game would have been minimal so those bets would have stuck out a mile

Nice to see the bookies taking swift action. Would also be nice to see the powers at be clamp down on the bookies cheating too

Did something like this not happen at a club who blew a massive points gap in league, Morton seems to come to mind?

Former footballer Alex Williams admits supplying designer drugs
  • Williams was released by Stenhousemuir in summer 2011
    Former Ayr United and Morton footballer Alex Williams is in jail after being caught with £20,000 of designer drugs.
    The 30-year-old and Kristopher O'Malley, 26, pled guilty to being involved in the supply of stimulants methylone and naphyrone in 2011.
    Both were remanded in custody and will be sentenced in February.
    A judge heard how a severe gambling addiction led to Williams, months earlier released by his last senior club, Stenhousemuir, turning to crime.
    Williams' lawyer, Tony McGlennan, said it was a "tragedy" that the former striker found himself in court for his involvement in drugs that were so-called "legal highs" until being criminalised almost three years ago.
    "Alex Williams became involved in this enterprise because of money difficulties that arose out of a gambling addiction," Mr McGlennan told the High Court in Glasgow.
    Car pulled up
    The court heard that the stimulants were found in two carrier bags after police carried out surveillance in Glenboig, North Lanarkshire, on 16 September 2011.
    Painter and decorator O'Malley was spotted with a white bag under his arm while appearing to be waiting on someone.
    An Audi A3 car soon pulled up and O'Malley, also of Glenboig, passed the bag to Williams - a passenger in the vehicle.
    Image captionWilliams was tipped for stardom in his early career
    Prosecutor Alan Nicol said officers later pulled the car over in Pollok, Glasgow.
    Williams, of the city's Govan district, and another person in the Audi denied there were drugs inside.
    However, just as a search of the vehicle began, Williams admitted: "I don't know what they are - they are in a bag in the front left passenger side."
    Quantities of methylone and naphyrone - in powdered form - were seized.
    Williams had been linked with a big-money move to top clubs in England when he emerged as a free-scoring striker with Stirling Albion as a teenager.
    However, after being sold to Morton instead, his career went into reverse as his off-field problems emerged.
    Internet rumours claimed four players from the Greenock club had bet £5,000 on rivals Airdrie to win the Scottish League Division Two title.
    Returning to Clyde
    Williams, who has always maintained his innocence, claimed the lies dogged his career from then on.
    In an interview in 2011, he said: "I've always felt other clubs wouldn't look at me because of the rumours that went around, despite the fact I've scored goals everywhere I have been at.
    "I bore the brunt of it at the time. The rumours on the internet said four of us had put this bet on - but it was me who got most of the blame and the stick from the fans."
    After going on loan to Queen of the South in 2005, he switched to Clyde before a brief spell in Australia with Armadale.
    Williams returned to Scotland to join Ross County before returning to Clyde then Ayr United before spells in the Republic of Ireland with Dundalk and St Patrick's Athletic.
    He was released by Stenhousemuir in summer 2011 after a season with the Second Division club.

Its rife within football. I'd imagine it's easy to get around as well by asking friends/family to place bets for you or opening an account in the wife's name or whatever. Gambling addicts will find a way around whatever rules the SFA have in place. Its hypocritical telling the players they can't bet either when football clubs and associations are taking the money from gambling firms for sponsorship.

Back