Elgin players trying to scam the bookies

A FOOTBALL player won man of the match on the same day it is alleged he plotted to carry out a betting scam for nearly £14,000.

Elgin City's Kane Hester, 26, is accused of deliberately stamping on a Hibs player during a cup match so he would get booked by referee Willie Collum.

Kane Hester is accused of getting a yellow card on purpose as part of a £13k betting scam
Kane Hester is accused of getting a yellow card on purpose as part of a £13k betting scamCredit: Les Gallagher - The Sun Glasgow
Hester was shown a yellow card by ref Willie Collum in a cup match against Hibs
Hester was shown a yellow card by ref Willie Collum in a cup match against HibsCredit: Reuters
The Welsh striker, who was not present in court, is alleged to have plotted before the match with three others to place a series of bets on him getting the yellow card.

The charge against Hester, Findlay Soutar, Calvin Parrot and Brodie Stewart Myles alleges that they duped bookmaker Bet365 out of the cash on the Betfred League Cup tie between Elgin City and Hibs on July 26, 2019.

The four men, all from Montrose, Angus, are alleged to have carried out the con between July 20 and August 2, 2019 and received £17,333.32 in payments from Bet365 - £13,583.32 of which was obtained as unlawful winnings.

They are alleged to have placed five separate bets on Hester being booked during the match at Boroughbriggs Stadium in Elgin.

If you ever go to lower league hospitality, you'll realise just how easy (and common) it is to scam the bookies with match-fixing.

Then again, the bookies scam everyone, so it's fun to see them get a taste of their own medicine. And if they were losing serious money over it, they'd soon withdraw the market.

Le Tiss done that all the time. A throw in from kick off? Highly unlikely, not if Le Tiss won the toss!
Sadly these boys are cannon fodder, so an example will be set.

It's been happening in the lower leagues for years. I always notice around Christmas time a team performing well lose to a struggling team who were big odds and always think, that's their Christmas bonus sorted haha

When I was playing junior we had quite a few ex pros in the team and they said towards the end of the season they'd arrange it with players in the other team and basically throw a big lump of money on the result (usually a high scoring, unexpected game).

Said it'd sort them out financially for the summer.

When I was playing junior we had quite a few ex pros in the team and they said towards the end of the season they'd arrange it with players in the other team and basically throw a big lump of money on the result (usually a high scoring, unexpected game).

Said it'd sort them out financially for the summer.
There were a few times I would get some decent tips for junior games, bookies were quick to stop me from betting on them though

You would have had over 3.5 booking in that game alone.

Lower league v Premiership there will be a number of bookings.

Why wouldn't you be smarter than that.

They would have probably got away with it as 2 of them put on a couple of smaller bets but another one of the 4 got greedy and stuck 3 or 4k can't remember exactly and he used one of the 4 boys account to place the bet, so only 3 actually betted on it, muppets!

It's been happening in the lower leagues for years. I always notice around Christmas time a team performing well lose to a struggling team who were big odds and always think, that's their Christmas bonus sorted haha
Exactly this. A guy I used to work with was mates with a League 2 player & every now & again he'd give us the nod & wink to stick a few bob on them to get beat.
The only time I ever got remotely nervous about it was the first time I stuck a wedge on & the b@stards went 1-0 up. Thought I had been stitched up, but they turned it around into a nice 2-1 defeat.

Last edited:
This type of bet is always going to be open to bribery. Even multi millionaire PL players are susceptible to it (allegedly)
Its ridiculous that you can bet on things like bookings , corners etc. Too easily manipulated. The greedy bastard bookies deserve everything they get with this, it just leaves them wide open to getting scammed.

This story is about Kane Hester and his friends putting on this bet and not about him and his Elgin team mates.

Some Elgin players have been charged about betting on other football games though.

BTW I presume the SFA/SPFL will be following up to the letter of the law the way they did with Joey Bartram and Brian Rice

Hester scored a double lastnight as they beat Kelty 2-0 lastnight, he’s some player.

Good old fashioned greed here. Could have won a couple of hundred easily (even high hundreds).

Instead go for £17k lol.

I didn't think bet365 would give player cards market for low level games like that. Weird

It's nothing new players betting on results. I remember in the 60s a load of English players getting banned for life and charged I think fox fixing games. I'm sure the bookies stopped the fixed odds for a few years until the mid 70s.

Back