Emma Hayes (Chelsea laddies manager)

Its blindingly obvious that no one is able to defend the point she is an awful commentator.

The only defence is "some of the established male commentators are awful too". Is that a good enough reason to bring queen monotone in?

Why not get a decent co commentator regardless of sex, instead of foisting this droning bore on us. Just a thought.

She is awful. The fact she is she and not he should not mean she is immune to criticism. We regularly slag Hartson, Dixon or Crocker on here. Not sure why certain commentators should be immune to very valid criticisms of being awful.

No one should be exempt to valid criticisms of being awful, and as far as I can see, no one on here is suggesting otherwise. I don't think she's great but I think there are a lot worse.

The criticism that she is not good at commentary BECAUSE of the standard of football she manages at, or that women aren't good at football, etc., isn't a valid criticism either.

I actually thought some of her insight was decent.

It was her accent and enunciation that had me reaching for mute.

And I say that as someone who from the age of 10, spent most of my life in London and the South East.

And I say that as someone who from the age of 10, spent most of my life in London and the South East.
From about 7 for me. Can’t imagine how much worse it must be for those in other parts of the country who arent “used” to it.

Talks way too much and is bloody patronising. She talks at least as much as the actual commentator and seems to be under the impression we've never seen a game of football before, so we won't have a clue what's going on unless she explains absolutely everything that's happening on the pitch.
Succinctly put, absolutely brutal.

From about 7 for me. Can’t imagine how much worse it must be for those in other parts of the country who arent “used” to it.
That wouldn’t have bothered me too much, just didn’t find her engaging or entertaining.

Would be a much better studio pundit/ analyst. Shelley Kerr for example is great in the studio, providing good insight. But not suited to live commentary.

That wouldn’t have bothered me too much, just didn’t find her engaging or entertaining.

Would be a much better studio pundit/ analyst. Shelley Kerr for example is great in the studio, providing good insight. But not suited to live commentary.
Never heard Kerr doing the co commentary but she has been very decent with her analysis on RangersTv

That’s pretty much what I just said :))
Yeh, wasn't disagreeing with you.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, took it as you'd heard her doing co comms and she wasn't great. Now I think you are saying you don't think she would be great on co comms (thinking about how she speaks you maybe have a good point) but haven't actually heard her before.

Almost like she's on a mission to let us know that she's very knowledgable about football. She may be but sometimes you just want to watch the game and enjoy it without thinking about tactics and systems. She's not alone though, Jenas loves the sound of his own voice just as much. And who's this Applecueta, at least get the players names right? Think McCoist is about the best of the co commentators , gives you a bit of the tactical insight but doesn't try and go too deep, and does it with a bit of humour too.

She is absolute torture.
She is indeed and for that reason you can expect to see and hear more and more of her as shes pushed to the skies.

I switched on the game just after it K/O and in all honesty she was talking so much I thought she was the lead commentator. Not a problem is shes been saying something worthwhile but it was just insistent, generic meh with a lot of terminology chucked in to make you think it was technical.

A bad combo of boring and annoying.

Utterly chronic and a complete bore.

This was the first time I’d been treated to her insights yesterday and couldn’t believe how bad she was.

There is a place for female punditry and opinion on the man’s game but not to the levels of wokeness and box ticking you’s back in the UK are currently being force fed at every opportunity.

Women’s football is barely the same sport as the men’s game as well, let’s not kid ourselves into thinking it’s a straight line in terms of empathy and insiders knowledge they are offering.

Hoping this fad for all things woke in terms of gender equality in football presentation and commentary will pass and football will go back to being football for footballs sake. But who knows what the next ‘cause’ will be the twitterati and SJW’s will bang the drum for :D

He's right about the under 15s though.

Kick abouts or not, no professional sports person would continue phoning it in when multiple goals down to group of children.

Kick abouts or not, no professional sports person would continue phoning it in when multiple goals down to group of children.
You wonder when they arranged those friendly fixtures that they thought they'd be picking teams that they could beat reasonably easily but who might give them a bit of a competitive work out...the women's teams picking the fixtures, I mean...I think, anyway.

Anyway, that's still an indication of what they thought their level was. Even if it was still grossly overestimated.

At 1-0 Croatia she said it was crucial they keep a clean sheet B-). No sh*t!

Pretty sure she also moaned about Morata all game until he scored then she immediately claimed he'd had a great game. Can't say I'm normally fussed by commentary but she seemed fairly bad.

Pretty sure she also moaned about Morata all game until he scored then she immediately claimed he'd had a great game. Can't say I'm normally fussed by commentary but she seemed fairly bad.
When Spain scored their 3rd goal she smugly announced "game over".

I like the cut of Emma Hayes’ gib, she knows her stuff, no the best looking of all the fe-male pundits, but when she talks you listen, she’ll be the first high profile wo-man manageress for a men’s team guaranteed! If I was a gambling man I’d have a wee wager on it ;)
She thinks we are tuning in to listen to her relentless gibberish! Hate her Cocknee accent

One of my daughters plays ‘professionally’ now, when she was 12 she was one of the better players in a team of boys, when she had to play with girls they were technically as good as the boys, when they played a boys u 15 team(same age group) they beat them comprehensively and they were the Paisley and district champions , granted after 15 boys grow into monsters but the statement about boys beating women at 12 or 13 is utter bullshit

If an under 15s boys team are beating the womens world champions 5-0 then I reckon a boys team aged 12/13 would give the women a tough game.
No chance if they are of the same standard as 12/13 year old, girls are technically as good as boys at that age

In fairness she was singing morata's praises all game, it was getting on my tits as barring his goal he'd been piss poor.

One of my daughters plays ‘professionally’ now, when she was 12 she was one of the better players in a team of boys, when she had to play with girls they were technically as good as the boys, when they played a boys u 15 team(same age group) they beat them comprehensively and they were the Paisley and district champions , granted after 15 boys grow into monsters but the statement about boys beating women at 12 or 13 is utter bullshit
An under 15s boys team beat the best womens team on the planet 5-0. Is it really that much of a stretch to say a team of 13 year old boys would give them a game?

You’re not allowed to bring up the “one” time it happened.

An under 15s boys team beat the best womens team on the planet 5-0. Is it really that much of a stretch to say a team of 13 year old boys would give them a game?
Imo yes but it would depend on the size of the 13yo lads and how good they are technically , you get a lot of shite players (boys)at that age too.

She talks too much, that is her problem. She needs to relax and comment when something interesting happens on the park. She seems knowledgeable.

She talks too much, that is her problem. She needs to relax and comment when something interesting happens on the park. She seems knowledgeable.
Spot on. She makes some really good points but surrounds it with endless drivel saying everything she is thinking which makes it hard to concentrate on the game and make your own mind up about things. I like to
Look at what’s going on around the pitch but get drawn into her observations or just gobbing off endlessly and it’s fukkin irritating. She might be better as a half time analyst but if she continues to distract folk from the actual game they are trying to watch with her incessant babble she’s a poor commentator.

My son played in the Paisley and johnston league 2004’s and we’re up against rangers girls and glasgow city girls and they were beating the boys teams easily at times

She was beyond brutal during yesterday's game.

As mentioned she tries so hard to come off as knowledgeable, always trying to squeeze in phrases like "They're so effective during the 2nd phase", "Great at the turnover" etc. it comes across completely contrived.

Would honestly have preferred listening to the Bein Sports arabic commentators instead.

I found her constant chatter & her monotonous voice overbearing, cringeworthy & extremely irritating

I won't for a minute criticise her knowledge of the game, insight or tactical experience - not because it's any better or worse than anyone else - but because many male co-commentaters can be pretty knowledgable & experienced- but still make a poor job of it using a microphone - & I'm critical of them as well

Another irritating aspect of her commentary was when she said things like Azpilicueta & her were on MBA courses together -
Why would anyone think this was appropriate or relevant to a match commentary?
Or when she starts speaking in Spanish?
It just comes across as someone out to impress

Anyway I use the mute button on a few commentators already - & Emma's now top of that list

I found her constant chatter & her monotonous voice overbearing, cringeworthy & extremely irritating

I won't for a minute criticise her knowledge of the game, insight or tactical experience - not because it's any better or worse than anyone else - but because many male co-commentaters can be pretty knowledgable & experienced- but still make a poor job of it using a microphone - & I'm critical of them as well

Another irritating aspect of her commentary was when she said things like Azpilicueta & her were on MBA courses together -
Why would anyone think this was appropriate or relevant to a match commentary?
Or when she starts speaking in Spanish?
It just comes across as someone out to impress

Anyway I use the mute button on a few commentators already - & Emma's now top of that list
She over emphasises vowels which is irritating. Jeleeeed eeeeeeels. She thinks she’s talking to a nation of fecking idiots so it’s also patronising.

inconceivable. You are just a sexist, misogynistic pig ;) B-)

She’s not a very pundit, that’s the bottom line.

Compare with McCoist for the Swiss v France game, it’s night and day.

I'll take pelters for this, but here goes.

I don't think Ally is a good pundit in terms of analysis or insight (i.e. the technical side of the game)

I think that it's his charisma and enthusiasm that makes up for this and that's what has endeared him to so many viewers in this tournament and the last World Cup.

Back