Empty seats World Cup feels non-event

A fake football vibe from fake football fans in a fake football country with a fake football atmosphere.

Have missed most of the games due to the kick-off times clashing with work-hours. Most of what I've seen, I've caught on short highlights clips on the iPlayer.

For me personally, World Cup Fever - Qatar 2022, simply doesn't exist.
Just out of interest what would a Welsh lad who has been most the qualifiers home and away for 15 years (lad I know out there) need to do to not be regarded as fake by you?

I have no idea why people get misty eyed over Italia 90? It was a very poor World Cup and the final was awful.

Spain & Mexico are the best I’ve witnessed.
And I didn’t witness either of those. That give you an idea as to why I get mistier eyed over ‘90.

2002 was actually a great World Cup too. 98 I only remember because that’s when I left school.

Their is the fact there are very few local fans but also half the teams in it are 3rd world in effect.
The fact that Italy the reigning European Champions aren't in it, is a bit ridiculous. I know it has happened before, but now with 32 teams, it makes the competition a bit of a joke to my mind.
Not to mention that I like watching Italy.

Being European Champions should see you qualify direct into a world cup of 32 teams.
Just my opinion.
Nah, can have no excuses at all. Surprised you liked watching them when they failed to beat Bulgaria and the Swiss at home and NI away. Opinions anyway as you say.

Think we’ve all seen that, other people are there. I’ll leave it to the lad I’ve mentioned in my earlier post and his opinion though, having a great time - as are many others who have followed their national sides all over the world.
You're talking about real fans - my post was referencing fake fans.

The problem Qatar has is that its given the perfect conditions for good football and totally neglected football fans.

As an armchair fan I have really enjoyed it so far. Couple of stinker games but its the group stages.

The stadiums will be full for the knockout stages.

I'm guessing they gave out a stack of free tickets with the condition that if they leave before HT they get a good stoning.

The stadiums will be full for the knockout stages.
I'm not sure why you'd think this? The locals obviously are not interested and there's only a limited number of travelling fans. The final will be sold out with all the corporate free-loaders in attendance but I wouldn't be confident that any other games will be.

I'm not sure why you'd think this? The locals obviously are not interested and there's only a limited number of travelling fans. The final will be sold out with all the corporate free-loaders in attendance but I wouldn't be confident that any other games will be.
Neutrals will save their money for knockout games. Fans of big countries will only travel for the knockout stages.
The locals arent interested in countries or teams, they are interested in Mbappe's, Messi's and Ronaldo's.

They should have kept all their migrant slave workers and let them use empty seats then the Qatar government and FIFA could have taken their wages back as an entry fee and hey presto all the construction work building the stadia done for nothing. I shouldn't be giving these corrupt organisations ideas they might just use.

The corruption that went into the decision happened and is well documented.

In response to this, the World Cup and FIFA should be forced to implement a set of minimum criteria for future bids that actively prevents most of the reasons that it shouldn't be in Qatar.

The problem is that for most of us, we enjoy international football as a secondary thing to the club game. The Super League was an almost equally abominable cash grab from a sporting perspective and fans stood up and said enough. The same sentiment would need to exist at international level.

I’m being a bit of a hypocrite as I have no time for international football but I usually put a game on if I’m in the house but I’ll not pay attention to it.

Seems the atmosphere at games are pretty bad from what I’ve seen, probably due to lack of big travelling supports and limited alcohol availability.

I don’t like all the happy mingling of fans either I like a bit of needle between fans and the chance of a bit of controlled aggro at games.

Never thought I’d say this but bring on the return of SPFL

Compounding the laughable plastic-ness and the fact Qatar is not just a faux-football nation but a faux-nation in many ways is the fact there’s been about 6 0-0 draws in less than a week.

There was a single 0-0 in 2018.

In my lifetime 2010 and South Africa was the ‘worst’ World Cup but this is levels below it so far. Hope Argentina get knocked out later for a laugh at least

Compounding the laughable plastic-ness and the fact Qatar is not just a faux-football nation but a faux-nation in many ways is the fact there’s been about 6 0-0 draws in less than a week.

There was a single 0-0 in 2018.

In my lifetime 2010 and South Africa was the ‘worst’ World Cup but this is levels below it so far. Hope Argentina get knocked out later for a laugh at least

1 in 2018
4 in 2014
6 in 2010

2022 has seen 49 goals so far from 18

2018 saw from 54 from the first 18

2018 saw 122 in the Group Stage and 169 overall. It was quite a high total that, can remember as loads of us backed over 155 as there was an arb on.

Been plenty of good matches and a good few throw away matches. Is what it is, the proper Football starts when nations really need to win for me - guess it did yesterday with Wales v Iran, good match. Anyone who doesn’t want it to be decent will always find a way to be negative mind.

Been plenty good games so far, some poor ones as well.
Not done the stats but there must be a lot more goals disallowed these days because of VAR?
A lot of teams pass the ball along the back or play 1-2's out a lot more comfortably than i witness with the current Rangers team.
Be interesting to see how this world cup influences playing styles - will 'high tempo' challenge 'method'.

Been plenty good games so far, some poor ones as well.
Not done the stats but there must be a lot more goals disallowed these days because of VAR?
A lot of teams pass the ball along the back or play 1-2's out a lot more comfortably than i witness with the current Rangers team.
Be interesting to see how this world cup influences playing styles - will 'high tempo' challenge 'method'.
That passed through my mind about VAR. In 2018 it increased the penalties a lot. Suppose the added time situation is adding to a few more goals as well mind.

It's garbage, no atmosphere, plastic fans, paid supporters, tourists and you tube "influencers".

There will never be a more diddy world Cup anywhere at any time.
Whereas South Americans are enjoying the atmosphere they are creating. Welsh and English lads in their 50s I know also are out there.

You’ll know best though?

They should have kept all their migrant slave workers and let them use empty seats then the Qatar government and FIFA could have taken their wages back as an entry fee and hey presto all the construction work building the stadia done for nothing. I shouldn't be giving these corrupt organisations ideas they might just use.
Ha, ha. Wages. Fcking love it.

The thing about world cups is that in a couple of weeks from now, nobody will remember the shite group games. In fact we'll be watching the highlights reel before the final trying to remember what games Qatar, Canada, Tunisia etc even played. WCs are defined by the quality of the knock-out stages.

The Qatari's themselves all head to Bahrain at weekend's normally to do this. I have spent a lot of time in that region and Bahrain is just like the brothel, pub and night club of the gulf. It's an amazingly hypocritical society.

I was raised in Dubai, like anywhere in the Gulf if you want something and you have the money, you can get it.

There might not have been many classic matches (there rarely are in the groups) but this World Cup has given us some shock results & incredible moments for some of the “smaller” nations.

While you can complain about tight matches, that can equally be described as a more competitive tournament and only France, Brazil & Portugal coming out of the groups with maximum points tells you that this isn’t a tournament where the big nations are having it their own way… and the draw very much looked like it was heading for a slow march to the knockouts for the big boys.

A lot of warranted criticism in the buildup to this tournament, a lot of hysterical bandwagon jumping as well though.
Personally the time of year is a struggle for me and with the matches typically during the day then the opportunity to watch them with your mates or in the pub is vastly reduced compared to a European or Americas tournament.
We are in danger of having a decent tournament though.

Aye really looks like a diddy world Cup with no atmosphere. You must be one of them that thinks Lewis Ferguson is shite too

Sounded very poor during the match, most matches have just felt like shite friendlies with the odd exception or if a Muslim country is playing it has been decent. Most games shite, some good ones including the 2 crackers yesterday

Group stages have been excellent the last 2 World Cup's, but let's see what next week brings. It's like 2010 to me, with a worse atmosphere but better stadiums.

For me it’s not for any other reason than I just can’t get into it this time. Not sure why tbh. Time of year, middle of the season maybe. I think it’s mainly cos I’m 40 and at this stage of my life I really only care about rangers and don’t care about international football anymore.

I agree it is weird. But I don't remember South Korea/Japan being criticized during their WC in 2002, when the stands were full of Asians wearing European kits cheering the teams on. Or was that just considered world open or good hospitality?

I don't agree with the WC being hosted by a country in the desert during Christmas time, but I don't get how people feel they need to obsess about how this is the worst WC in history. If people don't like it they are free to watch Taggart or get on with their day.

Personally, I've enjoyed some of the football in this tournament, but it doesn't compare to a summer World Cup in a European nation.

Back