Encourage the League to play attractive football

HuggyBear

Is there anything we could do as a league to encourage the jobber teams to abandon their 10 men behind the ball pish and actually try to play progressive expansive football? I am thinking extra points for a certain amount of goals scored etc.

Reactions: 8-1
Is there anything we could do as a league to encourage the jobber teams to abandon their 10 men behind the ball pish and actually try to play progressive expansive football? I am thinking extra points for a certain amount of goals scored etc.

i dont see how that would encourage teams to come out against us but to answer your question, no idea.

If the laws of the game were implemented fairly across all teams and referees booked and sent off those cloggers that only go out to stop players playing, then the game would improve. Young guys coming through could get a chance without fear of being flattened.

I think there is too much of a fear factor with these smaller teams every team is scrapping for points to wave off relegation ,if we had a bigger league i think if teams mid table thought they were safe they would be a bit more adventurous and maybe blood youngsters , bigger league , scrap European place for cup win and give it to league place and more teams will fight for europe

i dont see how that would encourage teams to come out against us but to answer your question, no idea.
I dont mean necessarily to come out against us, but as a league is there any way we can encourage teams to play a better, more exciting brand of football.

If I recall correctly that was why we went to 3 points for a win - it was going to increase the rewards for trying to come out and win games. It didn’t work. Nor will extra points for more goals, because the cannon-fodder know they’re not going to score many against us and opening up will get them beaten by a greater margin.

Without the resources to attract better players I don't think you can. Hard to blame teams like Livingston for being resolute and hard to beat given the resources they're working with. Maybe banning astro pitches would improve the product slightly, but even then you could still have horrible grass parks, especially in the winter.

Great sentiment, but whist they pack the defence against us and them, making it shit, they don't against each other and its as equally shit. Not much that can be done other than improve the level of player the league attracts.

if it happened, we'd be going back to the days when we were walloping Dundee and St Johnstone for 6/7 away

they know they have a chance if they frustrate us, open and we'll destroy them

What nonsense. They can’t attract the same quality of players to play that style. They sit in because if they open they’ll get hammered.

Stop allowing the cloggers to kick lumps out of each other and really it needs done from youth level right through. Kids nees to be encouraged to use skill, vision and technique instead of picking the 6ft 10 year old that can goof the ball the length of the park

Teams playing defensive football against the two teams who are heads and shoulders above everyone else is not something unique to Scotland.

I hear what your saying, of there a times when teams need to employ a wee bit of Watenaccio when facing other teams with vastly different resources, but I mean there must be a way to change the mindset of Scottish teams so that they actually try to attract more paying customers and tv viewers from abroad by providing a product that people actually to watch

How about divying up the prize money to be for points rather than placements (kinda the same thing I know).
Also in current circumstances release the funds after every game.

I hear what your saying, of there a times when teams need to employ a wee bit of Watenaccio when facing other teams with vastly different resources, but I mean there must be a way to change the mindset of Scottish teams so that they actually try to attract more paying customers and tv viewers from abroad by providing a product that people actually to watch
But again why should they if they knew that they were going to get pumped?

- No plastic pitches
- Negotiation of better tv deals
- Better pricing of tickets
- PPV tv packages that are not too expensive, to drive revenue
- alcohol sales at non-OF games

imagine we’d had that thrown at us in Europe in 2008. Would you be happy with bigger teams looking to enforce change to make sides like us easier to beat for the Barca’s and the Fiorentina’s etc?

The games when they are not playing us and them can sometimes be open and exciting to watch even if lacking in quality. I'm going off sportscene highlights right enough.

But if you look at teams like Nufc or Burnley the way they setup vs City and Liverpool the top two teams down there it's exactly the same. They also boot %^*& out of the players too. My Nufc supporting friend calls it "Bruceyball".

It's their parogatuve to chase a point against us if that's what they want to do.

Hamilton are an example of what happens when you come out chasing wine every game.

Put the baw in the net and they will never be able to win, we were 2-0 up last week and i think Livingston still thought it was 0-0

imagine we’d had that thrown at us in Europe in 2008. Would you be happy with bigger teams looking to enforce change to make sides like us easier to beat for the Barca’s and the Fiorentina’s etc?
I hear you mate. I am talking more about trying to make our domestic league more attractive to watch and for all the players that play in it to become technically better

I hear you mate. I am talking more about trying to make our domestic league more attractive to watch and for all the players that play in it to become technically better
Don’t get me wrong, I do take your point completely, I’m just not sure it’s practical. But I’d love for the league to be more attractive to watch and as a result becoming more attractive to broadcasters

Better refereeing would help.

I think the biggest issue is down the the size of the league. The league is too small, which means teams in the middle of the league are only a few games away from a crisis. These teams don't have a lot of money to begin with, they could face oblivion if they get relegated and are unable to get promoted within a few seasons.

Bigger goals.

Wha about the road to Manchester?

For years I've wanted a Rangers team to play fast, pressing attractive football on the deck. Moreover, to have strength in depth playing similar through the youth system so any players who move to the first team is seamless, would be brilliant.
We seem to be getting there. If the rest of Scottish football can't do it....fck em. We've never needed them to back us.

To be fair hibs did and took a point of us. Hamilton regularly try , and for the other like livi etc they know it’s the only way they have any chance of getting something off us is to park the bus and be hard to beat. I don’t blame them for playing to their strengths. If we went to Barcelona we would sit in and be hard to beat we wouldn’t play them at their own game , managers try do what’s best to get points , it’s upto us to do the same by breaking the stubborn teams down.

Most of the league dont have the talent or wage bill to play expansive football. Theres 2 sides to the game. Why would teams open up and get destroyed just to make us feel better?

If you want the spfl to play better football give it SKYs premier league money

Credit to Lech tonight. They played good football and had a lot of the ball.
Some of the SPFL dross can learn from that.
However, same as Ceptic, no shots on goal!!

You will never get most of the teams playing attacking good football with only 12 teams in the league. The quality in the league went down when the numbers were reduced, the complete opposite of what it was meant to do. To many teams fear going down from the first game of the season, and fill there team with past it older players.

I don't mind teams defending against Rangers. We've had to do it ourselves on occasion against quality opposition and that's football world-wide.

But in Scotland it's not just about defending, it's brutish tackling, time-wasting and cheating for free kicks as the best chance of scoring. All of which could be remedied if the referees applied the laws of the game correctly, as we see in the vast majority of European games.

Honestly, add more teams to the League. Increase the competition around about them. The top 4 aside, the other 8 are more than happy to pick up draws because all the other sides have the same or a similar mindset.

Scottish football is riddled with hammer throwers.

Clubs playing attacking and attractive football just wouldn't suit their agenda.

If the laws of the game were implemented fairly across all teams and referees booked and sent off those cloggers that only go out to stop players playing, then the game would improve. Young guys coming through could get a chance without fear of being flattened.

Referees play a huge part in this. If we want to get anywhere we need to turn into a more ‘technical’ type football league. Croatia is the perfect example. Less of a population than us, but a much more technical league that produces top talent by the bucket load.

Possession football needs to be encouraged by slowing the game down a bit by really punishing aggressive play more. This type of kick and rush football we see in Scotland is helped by smaller pitch sizes. It’s never going to happen but if you really want to encourage proper European style possession based football then requiring large pitch sizing would be a great help. At the minute possession has no great value in Scotland because the games play out like a bunch of school kids swarming round the ball in tight pitches. The turnovers happen constantly so learning to fight is more important than learning to be tactical.

you can't expect St Mirren and Ross County to play expansive football. They'd be 4 or 5 nil down before half time.

If you want them to play better football, they need better players which means distributing funds across the league and I'm sure there'll be no one in favour of that on here and rightly so.

Back